PDA

View Full Version : New FEAR SLI Profile

Pages : [1] 2 3

SH64
10-27-05, 09:41 PM
Since the built-in profile was producing some bugs & very poor Softshadows (SS) performance i had sometime messing up with the SLI settings to come up with a better profile than nVIDIA's own SLI profile! yes thats right & i tested it for sometime along with other members (thanks OWA & White|Mute).

the SLI value is : "2400801" (AFR2)

with this value expect :
1) Decent improvement without SS. (i got around 11% increase)
2) Huge improvment in performance with SS enabled (i got about ~150%!)
apperantly SLI didnt work with that built-in profile .. it even ran slower than single GPU.
3) Flickering white line can be seen sometimes in the middle of the screen due to SFR mode. Fixed!
4) I've noticed some slowdowns with intense shooting in slow-mo. Fixed!
(some users might think its usuall .. FYI no its not!! its an SLI bug)
5) Shooting through waters produce a very low framerates . Fixed!
(thats another SLI bug .. for exmaple it dosent happen in single GPU mode)

it worked flawlessly for me except for some jerkiness in the main menu , but thats it. its experimental profile afterall & some people might come up with even a better one ;)
for the time being though i recommend it for every SLI user.

superklye
10-27-05, 09:47 PM
So...sorry, I'm still new to this whole profiles thing...how do I go about setting this up?

rewt
10-27-05, 09:50 PM
Hi thanks for this! Now, how to use the profile? Just update nvapps.xml or do I need to do something else too?

SH64
10-27-05, 09:56 PM
Ok first since FEAR has a built-in profile .. you need to override it by creating a new SLI profile for FEAR in the nvapps.xml located in system32 folder.

you can add new profile there manually or theres a program called "nvao" (or nvSLI optimizer) that creates SLI profiles with no hassle though i cant find a place to download it right now. maybe if someone can help me upload it ? (its ~250kb .zip file) .

after that go in the control panel & apply the profile by selecting it & modifying the options & all that stuff then press the "apply" button.
make sure to enable the GPU balance bar aswell to make sure the profile is running correctly ( you should see a vertical bar which = AFR .. horizontal bar means you're still in SFR & something is wrong .. like profile isnt applied correctly).

rewt
10-27-05, 10:02 PM
Like this?

<PROFILE Label="F.E.A.R.">
<APPLICATION Label="fear.exe"/>
<PROPERTY Label="multichip_rendering_mode" Value="2400801" Itemtype="predefined"/>
</PROFILE>

Reaper106
10-27-05, 10:08 PM
Cool, thx!! Just ordered fear and my 2nd 7800GTX, cant wait to give it a try:D

SH64
10-27-05, 10:09 PM
Like this?

<PROFILE Label="F.E.A.R.">
<APPLICATION Label="fear.exe"/>
<PROPERTY Label="multichip_rendering_mode" Value="2400801" Itemtype="predefined"/>
</PROFILE>

Yep!

Cool, thx!! Just ordered fear and my 2nd 7800GTX, cant wait to give it a try:D

You are lucky!! imagine that i'm in the last levels & just discoverd that .. what a shame :(

superklye
10-27-05, 10:09 PM
So you have to have 81.87 for this to work, I take it?

SH64
10-27-05, 10:11 PM
So you have to have 81.87 for this to work, I take it?
it should work with whatever 81+ driver .. i'm using the 81.85 , OWA used 81.87 i believe.

superklye
10-27-05, 10:16 PM
oh, because I've got 81.84 and I see no existing Fear profile in the driver list.

SH64
10-27-05, 10:18 PM
oh, because I've got 81.84 and I see no existing Fear profile in the driver list.

You will not. because FEAR is a wierd case .. it has no standard SLI profile in the list yet.

superklye
10-27-05, 10:21 PM
:-\ Now I'm really confused, because in your first post you said:

Since the built-in profile...

So...I have one or I don't? :( :o

SH64
10-27-05, 10:23 PM
:-\ Now I'm really confused, because in your first post you said:
So...I have one or I don't? :( :o

Its implemented in the drivers somehow (thats why it forces SFR whenever you enter the game overriding whatever you choose in the CP) , but cannot be seen in the list. thats why i say its a wierd case :D

superklye
10-27-05, 10:26 PM
Okay...gotcha. Sorry to clog up this thread so much. :o

FraGTastiK
10-28-05, 12:06 AM
the SLI value is : "2400801" (AFR2)

I tested this several times;setting the SLi mode to AFR and AFR2 manually;AFR consistently gave me about 3-4 more FPS.can you confirm this?

thanks again for sharing the new value with us.

OWA
10-28-05, 12:51 AM
How are you overriding the default value? Are you having to use the alt-tab out of the game and switch the profile trick or are you able to just edit the profile in nvapps.xml and then it works. SH64 doesn't have to use the alt-tab method but I do and I'm wondering why that is.

superklye
10-28-05, 01:04 AM
I used this profile and was amazed at how well the game ran.

I've got it at 4xAA/16xAF at 1280x1024...I didn't run any benchmarks, but the game was smooth even with a helicopter and like 8 baddies on screen all firing. It was awesome. This game is ridiculously amazing. :)

SH64
10-28-05, 01:21 AM
I tested this several times;setting the SLi mode to AFR and AFR2 manually;AFR consistently gave me about 3-4 more FPS.can you confirm this?

thanks again for sharing the new value with us.

What AFR2 actually means is AFR with compatability bits which can be any combo of bits .. the value i gave is one of them. i picked it randomly after trying some others.
BTW this value was Stalker's SLI profile value ;)

OWA : like what i said above .. you have to create a new profile in the nvapps.xml like what rewt did. then go to the CP & choose that profile & apply it.. without applying nothing will happen. you HAVE to apply it.

superklye : Yeah i had slowdown in a similar place where you have to open the gate for your squadmates .. with this profile its no more!
BTW i just finished the game .. what a fantastic ending !!!!!! :D
i think i'll replay it with SS now.

billos
10-28-05, 01:59 AM
I just have edited the nvapps.xml file, put the FEAR SLI profile that u've just described below and saved it but after reboot, i see that the modification i've done is no more present in the file :confused: :confused:

Does it mean that it is overwritten at each PC startup or was i wrong somewhere in the process ?

Thx

SH64
10-28-05, 02:29 AM
I just have edited the nvapps.xml file, put the FEAR SLI profile that u've just described below and saved it but after reboot, i see that the modification i've done is no more present in the file :confused: :confused:

Does it mean that it is overwritten at each PC startup or was i wrong somewhere in the process ?

Thx

Why did you reboot ?? no reboot is needed. you should add the new profile & save .. then directly go to the CP & do the steps i mentioned above.

TierMann
10-28-05, 03:40 AM
Make sure the control panel isn't open when you're editing the file too or it will just get overwritten when you close the panel.

FraGTastiK
10-28-05, 05:25 AM
How are you overriding the default value? Are you having to use the alt-tab out of the game and switch the profile trick or are you able to just edit the profile in nvapps.xml and then it works. SH64 doesn't have to use the alt-tab method but I do and I'm wondering why that is.

I edit the nvapps.xml file.usually it wont switch to AFR the first time I run the game,need to alt+tab back and reapply it,then it switches to AFR.after that I dont need any reapplies unless I reboot the system.

billos
10-28-05, 05:57 AM
Make sure the control panel isn't open when you're editing the file too or it will just get overwritten when you close the panel.

Thx ! ;)

I think it was the reason of my problem.

Electronic Punk
10-28-05, 07:53 AM
You should get Anandtech to redo this:
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2575&p=5

SH64
10-28-05, 09:13 AM
You should get Anandtech to redo this:
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2575&p=5

Anandtech benchmarked using single GPU's only .. this improvement works only with SLI setups.
however i believe there was another FEAR review & benchmarks done with SLI setups .. can't recall where is it now , but i definitely like to see how it turn out with this profile.