PDA

View Full Version : Outdated Windows 64Bit drivers - when will we se new ones?

bgawert
01-03-03, 01:49 PM
The "latest" drivers NVidia offers for WindowsXP 64Bit Edition are the 22.20 drivers which are over one year old and only support gfx card up to Quadro DCC (Quadro 3) and no Geforce cards. Sadly, I never managed to get acellerated gfx on my HP i2000 Itanium machine running WindowsXP 64Bit Edition, no DDRaw, no OpenGL, no Direct3D, nothing. I really wonder why NVidia doesnīt update these drivers as there are new Workstations sold with Quadro4 900XGL gfx cards, and especially with the 64Bit AMD Hammer systems arriving soon.

Anyone knows when NVidia will offer updated drivers for WindowsXP 64Bit Edition? Sadly that they show much more effort for Linux/IA64 than for Windows...

Benjamin

StealthHawk
01-03-03, 05:16 PM
WindowsXP 64bit only runs on Itanium, which doesn't sell well. quite frankly i doubt they care.

MS so far has not mentioned that they will do anything with 64bit OS for Hammer. if they do release some kind of 64bit "patch" or 64bit edition then there will probably be new drivers.

bgawert
01-03-03, 05:36 PM
The first generation of Itanium machines sold quite well, there are at least more around than the AMD Hammer, and NVidia offers frequently updated drivers for Linux/IA64 and Linux/AMD64 (a system thatīs not even available on the market). WindowsXP 64Bit Edition arrived with the standard 32Bit Versions (end 2001), and MS announced that they even will support AMD64 when itīs available.

Itīs not necessary to upgrade the drivers as often as the ones for the standard Windows release, but itīs a bit poor for a so-called leader in the gfx card area that the only WIN64 driver is over one year old and supports only outdated products. Especially when there are Itanium2 machines out for over 6 month now that are sold with Quadro4 900XGL cards.

Benjamin

saturnotaku
01-03-03, 09:40 PM
Are there updated drivers available from your specific system vendor then (HP in this case)? Perhaps XP 64 support for drivers is the same as it is for NVIDIA laptop chips in that specific support for those chips and operating systems is supposed to come from the OEM.

I would browse HP's support site to see if there are different drivers available. I would find it very hard to believe that HP is continuing to sell professional workstation machines without proper graphics support.

StealthHawk
01-04-03, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by bgawert
The first generation of Itanium machines sold quite well, there are at least more around than the AMD Hammer, and NVidia offers frequently updated drivers for Linux/IA64 and Linux/AMD64 (a system thatīs not even available on the market). WindowsXP 64Bit Edition arrived with the standard 32Bit Versions (end 2001), and MS announced that they even will support AMD64 when itīs available

reports are that Itanium did not sell well. many big OEMs either never sold Itanium systems or pulled them due to lack of interest.

Hammer is not out yet, so that doesn't really mean anything. 100 is a lot more than 0 after all.

when did MS announce they will support Athlon64? i have heard zero-zilch-nada about this. and no one can tell me whether XP64 will be ported to run on Hammer, a modified 64bit version of standard XP will be used, or normal XP will just be patched. unless the announcement was made fairly recently that must mean that i missed it, and so did everyone else. in any cae, i would appreciate a link.

IGx89
01-04-03, 03:03 PM
http://www.wininformant.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=24972
http://amdboard.com/msamd.html

StealthHawk
01-04-03, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by IGx89
http://www.wininformant.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=24972
http://amdboard.com/msamd.html

excellent. those links reaffirm that Itanium was selling poorly a little over 6 months ago.

the Windows issue is still not resolved though. quoted from the first link The biggest news from AMD, however, concerned Microsoft support. Rather than create separate 64-bit Windows releases for the Opteron (as some people had speculated), Microsoft will support the AMD Opteron's x86-64 extensions in its 32-bit Windows OSs, including Windows .NET Server and the next version of Windows XP. AMD didn't explain how or when Microsoft will release this support, but said that Microsoft and AMD would discuss Opteron/Windows compatibility at a later date.

sounds like much ado about nothing. MS has contended again and again that Windows Longhorn will be the next Windows release(04/05). in other words, what next version of WindowsXP.

then we have this from the latest news at the second linkThe companies issued a joint press release in Taiwan today claiming that future Microsoft Windows operating systems and AMD's K8 family, formerly codenamed Hammer, would be developed closely together.

again, this tells us absolutely nothing about support next year for Hammer and 64bit :(

SavagePaladin
01-05-03, 11:35 AM
If it helps, MS is releasing a WinXP 64 2003 edition or something like that that supports the Hammer.

So I've heard, and no I can't go find the info. Sorry.

nick800
01-25-03, 11:19 AM
I've seen stories on that too, but they seem so vague that it tends to make me believe they're leaving it open so if they want they can just not make it..

it would be pretty sad if the athlon64 and opterons launched with no 64bit windows support in sight..