PDA

View Full Version : missing refraction in quake 4

blaise
10-28-05, 10:08 AM
in doom 3 there was a refraction effect when looking through windows, in quake four i haven't found a way to activate this. playing in high quality mode with all effects turned on. does someone have a clue?

SH64
10-28-05, 10:12 AM
Most likely Quake 4 dosent use that effect or i would notice it. did you try the Ultra Quality mode ?

speaking of which FEAR has some great glass refractions... most realstic ones i've seen so far. HL2 has some nice ones too.

Superfly
10-28-05, 10:18 AM
in doom 3 there was a refraction effect when looking through windows, in quake four i haven't found a way to activate this. playing in high quality mode with all effects turned on. does someone have a clue?

It is there - even on High Quality but not on all glass - only some and only noticable when straffing.

blaise
10-28-05, 10:39 AM
thanks for your answers.
i havent tried the ultra quality mode yet, its worth a try.

wondered because the heat haze and similar weapon effects work.
so probably its really only on a few glass objects. i really liked this effect in doom 3, and besides this i like the graphics of quake 4 very much but i think refraction adds a lot of realism to transparent materials like glass and water.

Gabrobot
10-30-05, 01:12 PM
It's because some dope forgot to rename the glass warp vertex and fragment program file extensions after editing them as text files. I'm assuming they'll fix this in the patch.

einstein_314
10-30-05, 01:24 PM
It's because some dope forgot to rename the glass warp vertex and fragment program file extensions after editing them as text files. I'm assuming they'll fix this in the patch.
Really??!? That's kind of odd. How do you know this?

Mr. Nice
10-30-05, 02:38 PM
Really??!? That's kind of odd. How do you know this?Because he looked in the .pk4 file ;).
Gabrobot, presumably just extracting the two files and renaming to .vp and .fp as appropriate should work then?

Gabrobot
10-30-05, 11:15 PM
Because he looked in the .pk4 file ;).
Gabrobot, presumably just extracting the two files and renaming to .vp and .fp as appropriate should work then?

Yep, I haven't tried it, but it should work.

einstein_314
10-30-05, 11:44 PM
Because he looked in the .pk4 file ;).
Lol, ok then. Hopefully they do patch that then.

blaise
11-07-05, 09:18 AM
did someone succeed in doing this? if anybody managed to activate the refractions by renaming the files please tell me how to do it, (how to extract, the names of the files etc..)
thanks!

Yep, I haven't tried it, but it should work.