PDA

View Full Version : CS:S locks up w/7800GTX

Pages : [1] 2 3

Riptide
10-28-05, 01:17 PM
Just got my system put together last night, new A8N-SLI and eVGA 7800GTX. I'm using 81.85 and the chipset package that just came out yesterday.

Counterstrike Source seems to hard lock on me after a random amount of time. Last night it took about 10 minutes, this morning over an hour. It's a hard lockup - sound stuck in a loop.

This has got to be a graphics card/driver issue or a problem with the mainboard. My other hardware is tested and known good with the previous board and gfx card.

So what's the problem? Ideas? This is rather annoying.

BTW the system folds just fine - folded work units all night last night on both cores and there were no lockups or problems. I haven't had a chance yet to try many other games so I don't know if this is a CS:S only problem or not yet.

kam03
10-28-05, 01:24 PM
make sure your gpu isnt overclocked too much. mine use to lock up abit but on 485/1.3 i dont get any lockups.

Riptide
10-28-05, 01:32 PM
It's not overclocked. It's at stock settings, as is the CPU and the rest of the system.

Sazar
10-28-05, 01:34 PM
I posted this in another thread. Do you run CnQ? Or full speed.

If you run CnQ, turn it off.

I have been getting the same kind of lock running CnQ and with Steam apps running, be in HL2, Lost Coast or Source.

OWA
10-28-05, 01:36 PM
If you didn't install the AMD X2 cpu driver, I'd try that and then maybe the Microsoft dual-core hotfix (even if you're not using cool-n-quiet). I had a lot of random locking problems (only in games) until I installed the X2 CPU driver. It's only supposed to be useful if you're using cool-n-quiet (I wasn't) but I spent almost 2 weeks (when I first put together my system) trying to solve the locking and it wasn't until someone suggested that I try the CPU driver that it was fixed. So, while I sound like a broken record, that is always my first suggestion.

Riptide
10-28-05, 01:39 PM
No problem. Where do I obtain that driver? From AMD's site?

I'm thinking about downloading Prime and letting that run overnight tonight. That should, for the most part, rule out any motherboard/ram/cpu problems. If it passes that then I'm going to have to suspect something to do with the nvidia driver or a hardware problem with the evga card.

Don't you just LOVE putting a nice new system together only to find that your "upgrade" ruined the game you want to play the most?

I want to punch someone.

OWA
10-28-05, 01:48 PM
Yeah, they're on the AMD site. They have them for XP-32 and XP-64.

With the issue, I had. I could run burn-in type utilities all day and night and it was fine. For some reason, I only ran into the issue with games. Some things appeared to help at first. Changing memory helped and lowering the speed of my CPU helped but nothing completely solved it until the X2 driver was installed.

Edit: Here's the link:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_13118,00.html

Riptide
10-28-05, 01:56 PM
I'll d/l and give that a try. Thanks man. If it doesn't work I'll post back in this thread later.

*EDIT* No I'm not running CnQ. I installed the CPU driver but I don't see how you can tell it's even on there... There was no obvious change in device manager. How can you even tell the thing is there?

jAkUp
10-28-05, 03:50 PM
Go to Add/Remove programs and it should show it there.

Nv40
10-28-05, 04:46 PM
if everything fails , it can be a bad memory.. or that the motherboard doesnt like the memory configuration in your bios. I used to have hardlocks in games over and over again and fixed this by changing a damaged memory.

Riptide
10-28-05, 05:11 PM
No, it's not bad memory. And the config is fine. The memory passed Prime95 blend test in the very last system I had it in (barely three days ago) and it also never had this lockup issue in the game with the previous hardware (abit av8, x850xtpe). The settings are the same, timings and vDIMM.

rohit
10-28-05, 05:11 PM
Update the MOBO bios.
Update Realtek drivers.
Try another set of dribers.
Hopefully it should get better.

Riptide
10-28-05, 08:57 PM
I'm still testing. I played for 2 1/2 hours this afternoon without a lockup after loading that processor driver. It's not conclusive but it looks encouraging. The previous lockups: once after 10 minutes of play and another one after 1 1/2 hours. So we'll see... Only way to tell really is to keep playing the games. But tonight I may not have time for more gaming.

Realtek drivers are all up to date. If I continue having hard locks I'll try upping vcore a notch or two and then maybe downgrading the nvidia driver to 78.x instead. Only if absolutely necessary though.

jAkUp
10-28-05, 09:05 PM
Yea, if your still getting locks try upping the memory to like 2.8v.

Riptide
10-29-05, 11:48 PM
Damnit. That processor driver didn't fix it. And I was so thinking it might have... Locked up hard just now, sound stuck in a loop. :(

Well just to be on the safe side I'm going to run Prime tonight and make sure it passes that. I'll then try to bump vDIMM and possibly vcore. What is the default voltage for my 4200+ manchester?

If voltage tweaks don't help I'm not sure what could be wrong here. Power supply just doesn't seem a likely culprit. It puts out 22amps on the 12v rail and I have nothing attached but one hard disc drive. Not even a DVD drive. Are there any utilities for Nvidia that work like ATI Tool's artifact scanner? That thing was great for finding a broken core/RAM on ATI cards.

Sazar
10-30-05, 12:51 AM
Rip, I think you need to get an exorcism performed on your machine. I have never heard of so much stuff with one guy :(

I would have no hair left if I was in your position. Heck, I would be almost like Mike :cool:

PSYCHODAD
10-30-05, 01:12 AM
I would try some different drivers and see if that helps. The 78.05s worked pretty well for me.

Been having some minor problems with the 81.85s.

Riptide
10-30-05, 01:24 AM
Well it's not just CS:S either. FarCry blew up on me. BSOD, bugcheck. Mentioned nv4_disp.dll.

I don't know... Anyone know what "PEG Link Mode" is in the BIOS on the A8N? Other than vcore and vdimm I don't have any idea what the hell else it could be as far as BIOS settings causing this. I'm going to try increasing vdimm and vcore a notch once I find out what my default vcore is for this chip. I think is 1.35v but I'm not sure.

If none of that helps I'll run Prime overnight and if it passes - will downgrade to 78.05. Assuming I can even find a copy of it, the x64 version seems hard to find. I tried a search and couldn't find it.

God damnit to hell with this. If I can't figure this out I'm tempted to borrow a friend's GTX. That way I can at least rule out video card.

If I wasn't so tired right now I'd probably be freaking out even worse.

*EDIT* Tried disabling "PEG Link Control" and that didn't help. PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA and it mentioned NV4_DISP.DLL. Also, increasing vDIMM to 2.80v has not helped. FarCry still blue screens on me.

Muppet
10-30-05, 01:27 AM
I've been having hard locks and BSOD's to with a fresh install and i found the vivo drivers were to blame.I uninstalled them and now no more problems, not sure if it's because of the 81.85s or the latest Nforce drivers, but i never had this problem before with earlier versions. Hopfully Nvidia will release some new vivo drivers soon

Riptide
10-30-05, 01:36 AM
Where can I get a different driver to try? Which ones are you using? I've been told 78.05's are worth a try but I can't find a x64 version. Every link I find points to nzone but all they have is the 32bit version.

Two games are having a problem so far. I haven't tested any others but it's a bad sign when 2 are having problems. Makes it look like a hardware problem to me. I don't know though, I'll run Prime overnight tonight and see what happens.

I'm getting pretty frustrated. I paid good money for this stuff, was very careful with it when it was installed... And look what happens. As usual, it won't JUST WORK.

/sigh

PSYCHODAD
10-30-05, 03:10 AM
X-treme G has the 78.01 and 78.03 for x64. Didn't see 78.05 there.

Riptide
10-30-05, 07:39 AM
The computer has been running Prime for over four hours and it hasn't failed. I am running the program properly for dual core (it's @ 100% CPU) and all but 50MB of RAM is chewed up.

What the hell. It passes Prime. So that tends to make it seem like the CPU and RAM are fine. This would tend to point to the graphics card now.

I wonder if newegg sent me a bum 7800GTX with a bad core. This wouldn't be the first defective POS they sent me. I guess it's going to be time to try a different driver soon.

Is it even worth trying to raise vcore now, in light of the fact it Primes OK? And yeah, 78.05 is noowhere to be found for x64. Guess I'm stuck w/78.03. Oh well it should still be OK for the purposes of testing this problem.

newls1
10-30-05, 08:32 AM
RIPTIDE:
I think the one thing your overlooking is your video cards BIOS. I just bought 2 EVGA 7800GT's "CO" @ 470/1.1 (stock timings) and both cards came with prevision #2 bios. After installing windows, and setting everything up, I went to play UT2004, and after 10-15 SECONDS, the PC would crash back to the desktop. I found out that the #2 prevision BIOS includes a DELTA that is in excess of 40MHz core and 100MHz ram. After I flashed BOTH 7800GT's to EVGA's prevision #3 BIOS, so far things seem to be OK. If I was you, get on EVGA's website, and see if there is an updated BIOS for your GTX.....Good Luck

OWA
10-30-05, 10:05 AM
Guess I'm stuck w/78.03. Oh well it should still be OK for the purposes of testing this problem.
Yeah, sorry about that. I didn't realize they didn't have the same versions available for XP-32 and XP-64.

Edit: If you decide to try flashing it, just make sure you won't void your warranty especially since you're considering sending them back. I'd go through official channels if you go that route just to make sure you're covered.

Riptide
10-30-05, 10:23 AM
Hmmm....

I downgraded to 78.03 and the results are encouraging. I passed almost 3 levels worth of FarCry this morning with no blue screen. Last night when I had 81.85 loaded I was lucky to make it 30 minutes into the game before it blew up on me. So while this isn't a sure thing yet... I'm thinking it might be fixed now.

78.05 was the last 78.x release? I wish I could find the x64 version but it's not available for download anywhere I looked.

Flashing the BIOS on the card is something I will do as a last resort. I might also reformat and use the 6.66 version chipset package as well.

IF this 78.03 driver fixes things then I believe 81.85 must not like my system for some reason. Maybe there are problems with the dual core support in that driver that show up on my computer.

I don't know. I do know I'm going fishing. When I get back, maybe with a clearer head, I can do another round of testing and see if it really is fixed or not.

If it is 81.85 I'm not going to be a very happy camper.