PDA

View Full Version : Ghost in the machine! water cooling hell~!

bugmage
10-28-05, 01:19 PM
week 2 of using mct40, good stuff, but something alive in there, new system

large chunks of clear stuff floating around, clusters of bubles floating around that wont join the larget one in resavor

and now fish tank noises from teh compleatly sealled system?? aka pops

do you guys know a nonconductive additive could put in there to wipeout all life? im in college so draining might be a little problem

also do you guys know any nonconductive householdproducts?

and i dont c any leaks but idk maybe that sounds just from bubbles joining im at a loss

WHY!!!! oh but system runs fine and black and white 2 is great!

$n][pErMan
10-28-05, 05:18 PM
I heard some people here have used alge killer or winshield wiper fluid :)

toxikneedle
10-28-05, 05:53 PM
when you filled your system, did you run it laying on it's side?

bugmage
10-28-05, 11:17 PM
its not as simple as that, i havent tipped the main radiator yet due to i have a aspire cube thats open because im working on the cpu right now, but first thing im going to do is probably flush it out with antifreeze, then put morre mct 20 in

will antifreeze conduct ???? can you think of anything i can use that wont???

and i know what your thingking, aire in tubes led to growth right?

makes sense 2 me, so hopefully the kill all/ funnel with antifreeze running it through system while i spin it in circles for 5 min shoudll kill everything right?

and do you think air is the culperate?

pakotlar
10-31-05, 02:36 PM
its not as simple as that, i havent tipped the main radiator yet due to i have a aspire cube thats open because im working on the cpu right now, but first thing im going to do is probably flush it out with antifreeze, then put morre mct 20 in

will antifreeze conduct ???? can you think of anything i can use that wont???

and i know what your thingking, aire in tubes led to growth right?

makes sense 2 me, so hopefully the kill all/ funnel with antifreeze running it through system while i spin it in circles for 5 min shoudll kill everything right?

and do you think air is the culperate?

Any water, destilled or ionized will develop a capcitance when it comes in contact with a metal like copper or aluminum. Even if it does not conduct a charge it can still fry your hardware. Antifreeze is conductive I believe but (unless you can find an inert additive that will kill algae and prevent corrosion) I would definetely use it. Make sure your wc system is completely leak proof. Never, ever, rely on de-ionized water to save you during a leak. I've been running my wc system for about 2 years now, and haven't had any of the white masses that you're talking about. Sometimes you will hear noises when a bit of air gets mixed with the water (happens even in a closed environment on occasion, esp if you have a resevoir), but when it does, double check your fittings to make sure that you didn't spring a leak, because that is often the reason.

edit: About the air bubbles that won't go away: Most likely you haven't filled your resevoir enough. What you want to do is fill it so that even during operation, the water level in the resevoir never reaches below the top of your fittings. You want to clear a few cm above at least. Fill it as high as it will go without spilling over, and leave the cap off the resevoir. Let it sit like that for a while and wait till your solution gets clear again. To speed up the process, tip your radiator back and forth to loosen up air pockets.

I'm glad your sytem is running fine, but if you have growth in the water (and that is what it sounds like), bleed the system, and the run a non-corrosive posion through it, something that will take care of algae and bacteria. I'm not sure if bleach is appropriate. To preven future bacterial growth I use about 15% anti-freeze in the system.

Vagrant Zero
10-31-05, 03:34 PM
I can't even read the original post. WTF.

bugmage
10-31-05, 09:03 PM
i added a spoonfull of antifreeze and am watching the white stuff dissolve and come out of the radiator, i emailed danger den and "don" recammended bleach and not to use antifreeze at all lol??????, anyway so much for non conductive

pakotlar
10-31-05, 09:12 PM
Antifreeze is good because it should help keep your parts free of any corrosian, as well as bacteria and growth free. There is a reason cars run on antifreeze and not bleach. Don may have a reason for suggesting the bleach that I don't know of though.

bugmage
11-01-05, 09:37 AM
still got thatmold, i thinks its shrinking, not shure, migth have to add more Anit freezo, and bust out the laste guns!

I must have biological death floating through my machine!

nVestor
11-01-05, 11:10 AM
He said to use bleach because bleach kills mold. If you have mold on/in your house, the same method applies. :)

bugmage
11-01-05, 11:24 AM
ah i c, im in the 3rd floor a a doorm room w/o any mold that i can c, but i get it now, well antifreeze looks like its slowly working on it

dn3dgamer
11-01-05, 04:19 PM
I wouldn't use bleach since it's highly corrosive.

Here's a link that might help:
http://www.overclockers.com/tips1153/index.asp