PDA

View Full Version : ? for people that got physically ill playing HL2

Pages : [1] 2

ynnek
10-28-05, 02:57 PM
I got a question for all those people that got physically ill playing HL2. I'm actually one of them too..

Has anything changed that helped/cured this problem? I managed getting half way into HL2, then decided not to go on because of the headaches and pukey sick feeling it was giving me.. I'm not just talking about the powerboat part.. The whole game in general.. Even walkng aorund in the beginning gets me sick. I *think* setting the FOV helped a little.. but the game still kinda bothered me.

Interesting thing is, I can play CS Source with no problems though.

So.. any of have managed to play thru the game? overcome? Or you just like me that just simply dropped it.

jAkUp
10-28-05, 03:12 PM
Nope. It has tgo do with the default FOV setting.

CS Source is fine for me too. HL2 makes me dizzy. Same with Lost Coast.

OWA
10-28-05, 03:34 PM
Nope, nothing solved it for me so I stopped trying to complete it a long while back. I still play around with it some but I usually limit myself to around 15 minutes or so. FOV setting may have helped a little but not enough that I could play it like any other game. I'd still usually have to quit after 20-30 minutes.

Rakeesh
10-28-05, 03:39 PM
I have a way of avoiding the non moving "motion sickness" while playing games, but it is kinda hard to explain. Long story short you basically have to constantly remind yourself that you aren't really moving anywhere.

Namrok
10-28-05, 04:15 PM
It's not a popular solution, but try playing with just one eye.

evilghost
10-28-05, 04:32 PM
I always felt sick playing HL2, even after adjusting the FOV, and this was on a 21" CRT Trinitron Sony. After much gnashing of teeth I finally attributed this feeling to the fact that HL2 lacked even the most basic form of a plot or storyline :D

J-Mag
10-28-05, 04:41 PM
FYI, dramamine is OTC now... Just go buy some of that stuff.

The only time I play with one eye closed if I came home from a club or something and am barely able to see straight.

Muppet
10-28-05, 07:09 PM
I also suffer from this problem :thumbdwn:

Acid Rain
10-28-05, 07:17 PM
I haven't had the problem since I gave away my copy and stopped playing. Yet another not-so-popular solution, but, hey, it worked for me.

I can play any other game for hours without issue.

Nutty
10-28-05, 09:03 PM
Maybe its todo with the amount of head-bob going on. I had to reduce it in FEAR cos it was driving me crazy. CS:S has pretty much none, cant remember if HL2 has it in.

Sazar
10-28-05, 09:10 PM
People get physically ill playing this game?

Dang.

I guess spending all that time on the open water growing up gave me a stronger stomach :eek:

OWA
10-28-05, 09:11 PM
Maybe its todo with the amount of head-bob going on. I had to reduce it in FEAR cos it was driving me crazy. CS:S has pretty much none, cant remember if HL2 has it in.
Yeah, the head-bobbing bothers me also so I usually try to turn it off if it's an option.

CaptNKILL
10-28-05, 09:17 PM
I dont think I've ever had any problems playing any games... that must really suck :(

Rakeesh
10-28-05, 09:25 PM
I can play any other game for hours without issue.

Yeah, same here. I only get that during the boat level though. Fortunately I have found how to deal with it.

$n][pErMan
10-28-05, 11:32 PM
WTF .. how do people get sick playing a game??? I have never had this happen and I think id go insane if it did!

jAkUp
10-29-05, 12:21 AM
I have never had any type of dizzyness from any other FPS game.. and, I have played damn near them all :D

I dunno why, HL2 makes me a little dizzy, and my eyes hurt after playing for a while. It has to do with the default zoomed in FOV. CS Source does not have the same effect for me, so I know its not the engine.

Also, I had no problems with Fear, its just HL2... weird.

Rakeesh
10-29-05, 04:21 AM
I have never had any type of dizzyness from any other FPS game.. and, I have played damn near them all :D

Same here, though I am also affected by wolfenstein 3D (the original 1992 game.)

Nutty
10-29-05, 08:21 AM
It has to do with the default zoomed in FOV. CS Source does not have the same effect for me, so I know its not the engine.

What about Halo? That has a really narrow FOV.. felt weird the 1st time I played it.

Vagrant Zero
10-29-05, 01:52 PM
[pErMan']WTF .. how do people get sick playing a game??? I have never had this happen and I think id go insane if it did!

Same boat as you buddy. Never got sick from a game [well I got sick from D3 on launch day...had to call out of work :p].

superklye
10-29-05, 02:09 PM
[pErMan']WTF .. how do people get sick playing a game??? I have never had this happen and I think id go insane if it did!
The only time I ever do is if I'm falling a really far distance. I get the feeling that I'm on a rollercoaster or something. Otherwise, I've never gotten sick while gaming, thankfully.

sytaylor
10-29-05, 08:50 PM
My step bro cant even watch me playing FEAR for 5 mins without feeling ill. Me on the other hand, its... just a game.

Aphot
10-29-05, 09:13 PM
Motion sickness :|

Never have had it, never will. Not even on a ride at a amuesment park.

I guess some people are more sensity to that stuff.

Gentle
10-29-05, 09:52 PM
Did Microsoft ever fix that feature/bug with DirectX where it would set your refresh rate to 60hz regardless of what you set it at in your games or display settings?

If they didn't, 60hz is enough to make people sick...

I use a refresh rate locker and I've never had an issue with "sickness" playing games, unless I play a game at 60hz and then my eyes bleed from the low refresh rate.

Gentle

ynnek
10-29-05, 10:53 PM
You know whats wierd? I used to never get sick on amusement rides.. but now I, at the old age of 25, I'm starting to have problems with the ones that with the spins. Although if I keep my head still, it doesn't bother me.

I get sick watching home videos sometimes too. I think I try too hard to have my eyes track the jitter.. if I just relax and just blankly stare at the screen, I don't get sick.. Probably the same reason why some games get me sick.

AthlonXP1800
10-30-05, 03:35 AM
Yeah I had dizzy, headaches, feeling ill and eye aches 3 years ago with CRT but since 2 years with my LCDTV, I had none of these symptoms. I am sure by next year when LCDs reach 1ms, it will be as fast as CRT and big enough warranty to replace all CRT monitors. When you get 1ms LCD monitors next year and throw away the CRTs away forever and will never have the same symptoms ever. :D