PDA

View Full Version : More goodies to look forward to. de_nuke cs_militia

TierMann
10-28-05, 09:21 PM
I just got this message when logging in to steam:

Friday, October 28 2005

We hope everyone is enjoying Lost Coast. We've received a number of e-mails with positive feedback about the commentary system included in Lost Coast, so it's a safe bet that we'll look for ways to include commentary in future products.

We're now going to be looking toward releasing some new Counter-Strike: Source content we've been working on. The next two maps coming will be updated versions of de_nuke and cs_militia, along with a number of new player models for both sides. We'll give everyone a sneak peek at Nuke and some of the new models next week.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Two weeks ago we mentioned our affinity for all things zombie, along with the note that someone here at Valve had made a short movie on the subject. Zombie Movie has won Best Comedy Horror Short down at Screamfest L.A. and we're looking forward to delivering the movie over Steam soon. We think everyone will get a kick out of it.

So more HDR maybe to look forward to? I wanna see those zombies too.

Rakeesh
10-28-05, 09:23 PM
I wish they would just fix the bugs in it.

nutcrackr
10-28-05, 10:40 PM
CS:S is pretty bug free, I hope you don't mean the hit box lag or the physics :/
Cs_militia will make me come back for some more goodness, oh how I loved that map in original.

stncttr908
10-28-05, 10:48 PM
Militia was one of my old favorites. I'd love to play it again on the Source engine.

Mudcrutch
10-28-05, 10:58 PM
sounds good to me.. bring on the content!

Rakeesh
10-29-05, 03:05 AM
CS:S is pretty bug free, I hope you don't mean the hit box lag or the physics :/
Cs_militia will make me come back for some more goodness, oh how I loved that map in original.

Well, for example the fact that you can rarely stand on movable objects. You always just slide off of them. Take for example on cs_compound where the filing cabinets are in the corner in the CT spawn. You can actually jump on top of them and slip into that 1" wide space between the cabinet and the corner.

Then there are the bugs that allow you to see through walls, and the shadow bugs.

And the hitbox bugs as well, those are the worst of all.

jolle
11-04-05, 11:59 AM
The sliding off objects thing isnt a bug, its intentional..
I guess its to aviod wierd stuff on high pingers, since barrels and things that blocks the player are synced to server and the other clients, while the small stuff + Ragdoll is Client side only..
So if you could stand on a table, and someone destroyed it, the latancy to the different players might cause oddities there.. or something..
dunno, but its intentional, think there is even a CVAR to turn it off..
It is, nevertheless, a bit annoying that you cant jump up on a table..

Rakeesh
11-04-05, 12:29 PM
The sliding off objects thing isnt a bug, its intentional..
I guess its to aviod wierd stuff on high pingers, since barrels and things that blocks the player are synced to server and the other clients, while the small stuff + Ragdoll is Client side only..
So if you could stand on a table, and someone destroyed it, the latancy to the different players might cause oddities there.. or something..
dunno, but its intentional, think there is even a CVAR to turn it off..
It is, nevertheless, a bit annoying that you cant jump up on a table..

Well, that allows you to do weird things in the game, such as fitting between the wall and the filing cabinet that I described.

But why is it that you can stand on tables in HL2DM then?

jolle
11-04-05, 02:22 PM
Didnt know you could on HL2DM..
Try starting a CS:S server with Cheats enabled and use this CVAR: cl_pushaway_force 0 (havent really tried it myself)
It should remove the push.. I assume its set to 20000 as default for a reason.
I guess they figured the network requirements on HL2DM was going to have to be higher anyway with all the physics stuff in it.. cant do more then guess tho..

Rakeesh
11-04-05, 05:18 PM
Didnt know you could on HL2DM..

Yep, HL2DM behaves exactly the same as regular HL2 in that respect.

aAv7
11-05-05, 10:35 AM
I wish they would just fix the bugs in it.

QFT.

slick
11-05-05, 11:38 AM
Pfffff, screw maps (execpt nuke, I <3 that map very very much)! Bring on the models! Oh how I want to be an elite again. *waits for it*

Brimstone7
11-05-05, 03:03 PM
The physics thing was implemented so the fundamental gameplay wouldn't change from the original Counter-Strike. The developers didn't want players to be able to push objects around to set up barricades and such. I'm pretty sure this is not an engine limitation because this "feature" was implemented sometime early in the Beta stage and, as you pointed out, there is plenty of physics to go around in HL2DM.

Does anyone else find it weird that it takes the developers two months to release a simple map or model? Even with the tweaking stage for the new HDR technology, this is way too long. I figure either the developers are really lazy or (most probably) everybody's working on their next project (either Aftermath or something else...) I mean seriously, the mod community can churn out quality maps in a matter of days and they don't even get paid for it!

Mudcrutch
11-05-05, 03:13 PM
I mean seriously, the mod community can churn out quality maps in a matter of days and they don't even get paid for it!

show me quality (source) maps put out in a few days production time by the mod community where thousands of players play the map every day with no issues.

awaiting links...

/devils advocate

Rakeesh
11-05-05, 04:12 PM
The physics thing was implemented so the fundamental gameplay wouldn't change from the original Counter-Strike. The developers didn't want players to be able to push objects around to set up barricades and such.

Well, FWIW you could still do that in the original CS (at least during the beta days, I haven't played CS beyond beta 9 much - 1.0 and beyond were kinda lame IMO)

But it was never a good idea to do so, because the rounds go so quickly that by the time you ever managed to move anything to where you wanted to move it, you were liable to get shot in the head. This even applies to pushing barrels around.

In my oppinion, the reason they disabled it is because the netcode doesn't handle physics very well. Look at how many bugs are in HL2DM. It has a hell of a lot more than CS:S does.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=248425

And when I say the netcode doesn't handle physics very well, I am not talking about latency issues. Actually the latency isn't bad at all. But after a long time of playing, the game gets really tricked up. For example note the bugs that allow you to rub up against ramps just right and you'll jump 300 feet in the air. This can only be done after so many minutes of gameplay. But even in a big game - say 30 players - it starts out just fine.

show me quality (source) maps put out in a few days production time by the mod community where thousands of players play the map every day with no issues.

Probably the current cs_militia, cs_assault, and a few others.

There are many variations of these though, but I know some of them were developed in a few days or weeks at most.

nutcrackr
11-05-05, 04:40 PM
In my oppinion, the reason they disabled it is because the netcode doesn't handle physics very well. Look at how many bugs are in HL2DM. It has a hell of a lot more than CS:S does.
Yep this is right, CS:S does have the option on the server end to enable HL2: DM type physics, called turbophysics or similar. Unfortunately it puts a strain on the server and it's buggy. I find the physics in HL2: DM noticably lag the server, not by heaps but still a significant amount. I'd imagine the amount of data being sent and recieved with full physics is also much greater than the optimised version

The new models look good, hopefully we will get 2 versions from each side since they did show the SAS a long time ago. Guerilla, GIGN, SAS, ?

slick
11-05-05, 06:19 PM
The physics thing was implemented so the fundamental gameplay wouldn't change from the original Counter-Strike. The developers didn't want players to be able to push objects around to set up barricades and such. I'm pretty sure this is not an engine limitation because this "feature" was implemented sometime early in the Beta stage and, as you pointed out, there is plenty of physics to go around in HL2DM.

Does anyone else find it weird that it takes the developers two months to release a simple map or model? Even with the tweaking stage for the new HDR technology, this is way too long. I figure either the developers are really lazy or (most probably) everybody's working on their next project (either Aftermath or something else...) I mean seriously, the mod community can churn out quality maps in a matter of days and they don't even get paid for it!

I use grenades to set up file cabinet baricades all the time. :D

Rakeesh
11-06-05, 06:46 PM
Yep this is right, CS:S does have the option on the server end to enable HL2: DM type physics, called turbophysics or similar. Unfortunately it puts a strain on the server and it's buggy. I find the physics in HL2: DM noticably lag the server, not by heaps but still a significant amount. I'd imagine the amount of data being sent and recieved with full physics is also much greater than the optimised version

It doesn't lag the server unless the server isn't dedicated, or if it uses crap hardware.

It's like I said, when the game first starts out it is peachy, even if you manipulate the objects a lot. It is when the games progress beyond 5 minutes that things get nasty, especially when there are a lot of players. It's all due to bugs in valves code.

If it were entirely due to bandwidth limitations, then you'd just lag up for the duration of the heavy physics activity, as once its over things would go back to normal. But they don't. Once it gets lagged up, it stays that way until the next map change.

This is why I keep saying that valve really needs to work on fixing source.