PDA

View Full Version : Grafix cards, computer submersion, is it feasable?

bugmage
10-29-05, 12:29 AM
Ive read so much on submersion, and everyone says mineral oil will work fine, however ive seen ones that stay cool no matter what, and other people say they must be constatnly radiated, alos i read that capaciters eventually soak up mineral oil and blow????

so my question is, do you think that if coated in some kind of heat proof spay this would be a good option

you can get plex glass cheap and make a case the exact size of mobo so it wont be to large at all, then add fans and tricky wire, and calc and you should have a clear cool comp? now why dont more people try this? they had one where a guy did it in his garage, what also im wondering is how long can you keep this up? anyone have some links to peopel running it for long 1 year + ???

wrugoin
10-29-05, 11:10 PM
now why dont more people try this?

First of all, submersive cooling isn't a very popular idea. It's very messy, completly non-portable, dangerous to your components if done wrong and most important, doesn't yeild better results then controlled liquid cooling.

Out side of stroking your ego to say that you did it, submersion is a waste of time and effort if you're looking for a great cooling solution.

In case anyone is wondering, This is submersive cooling (http://membres.lycos.fr/stygre/img/computer-coolant.JPG)
And here's another submersive project (http://www.markusleonhardt.de.nyud.net:8090/oelbilder.html)

Peoples-Agent
10-30-05, 02:20 AM
lol , I don't think I would ever tempt fate with any of that.
Good idea though!

snipcod
10-30-05, 02:34 AM
Damn thats pretty cool. But I would never do that my self, im a spiller :)

Kojiro
10-30-05, 03:48 AM
There is something in the second submersive project, that I found strange. Click on "Oil Computer" Even the majority of it is in German, it clearly says the liquid is Vegitable Oil in plain english.

Don't we fry things with vegitable oill? I am not saying he's wrong or anything, but it's kind of funny tring to prevent your computer components from frying by submerging it in frying oil.

wrugoin
10-30-05, 01:11 PM
There is something in the second submersive project, that I found strange. Click on "Oil Computer" Even the majority of it is in German, it clearly says the liquid is Vegitable Oil in plain english.

Don't we fry things with vegitable oill? I am not saying he's wrong or anything, but it's kind of funny tring to prevent your computer components from frying by submerging it in frying oil.

Frying oil (as well as mineral oil) is a solution to use for a submersive project. It is non-conductive. However, I've been told that over time, cooking oil will corrode plastic. The OP seems to be looking for a way to prevent that and is looking to see if a "heat proof spray" might prolong the life of the submerged equipment.

To the OP, before you go and submerge $1500-2000 worth of computer parts. Maybe start with some old junk machine like a pentium 2 with an old TnT videocard. See if you can get that to run with the "heat spray" you're talking about. It'll allow you do design the tank with the proper water flow without risking your good stuff. I suspect you'll also find out it's more of a cool thought then a good idea. But that's just my opinion. Have fun :p

mx125race
10-30-05, 01:17 PM
Frying oil (as well as mineral oil) is a solution to use for a submersive project. It is non-conductive. However, I've been told that over time, cooking oil will corrode plastic. The OP seems to be looking for a way to prevent that and is looking to see if a "heat proof spray" might prolong the life of the submerged equipment.

To the OP, before you go and submerge $1500-2000 worth of computer parts. Maybe start with some old junk machine like a pentium 2 with an old TnT videocard. See if you can get that to run with the "heat spray" you're talking about. It'll allow you do design the tank with the proper water flow without risking your good stuff. I suspect you'll also find out it's more of a cool thought then a good idea. But that's just my opinion. Have fun :p

excellent idea...though im sure your mind has probably been changed lol. if you decide to do it, then i agree with wrugoin, have fun...rofl

rohit
10-30-05, 05:38 PM
Ive read so much on submersion, and everyone says mineral oil will work fine, however ive seen ones that stay cool no matter what, and other people say they must be constatnly radiated, alos i read that capaciters eventually soak up mineral oil and blow????

so my question is, do you think that if coated in some kind of heat proof spay this would be a good option

you can get plex glass cheap and make a case the exact size of mobo so it wont be to large at all, then add fans and tricky wire, and calc and you should have a clear cool comp? now why dont more people try this? they had one where a guy did it in his garage, what also im wondering is how long can you keep this up? anyone have some links to peopel running it for long 1 year + ???
:hmmm: :wtf: :wierd: :screwy: :confused: :baa:: :bye:

TierMann
10-30-05, 08:27 PM
I guess trying to RMA something after you dip it in cooking oil is out of the question, huh?

NightFire
10-30-05, 09:23 PM
Not if the manufacturers don't know about it...