PDA

View Full Version : the best console!

Pages : [1] 2

Zelda_fan
10-29-05, 02:01 AM
alright, I know I shouldn't, but I just had to do it. All things considering (grahics, game library, whatever strikes your fancy, etc), what do YOU think is going to be the best console? XBOX 360 or PS3? You can give a reason if you want, but you don't have to, I just want to see the vote.

Oh and I didn't include the revolution because I doubt anyone would vote for it other than me (maybe ninja), and also becasue it isn't comming out until 6 months after the PS3.

LiquidX
10-29-05, 02:18 AM
Its kind of a given IMO. I think PS3 will edge 360 system spec wise and game library wise. Both systems will have a tough battle ahead though with only one winner...us. I really dont think Sony will dominate as much as they did this gen. You did not list the revolution but thats the one system I am dying to see what the future holds.:cool:

jAkUp
10-29-05, 02:20 AM
I am not too concerned about game library as I am graphics :) Most good games should be on both, with that being said, I believe the PS3 will definetely have better graphics.

Bad_Boy
10-29-05, 02:26 AM
too early to tell but im guessing the ps3 will have the better graphics/physics, which will only be determined by first party titles of the ps3 + 360 as 3rd party titles will generally look the same i bet.

Zelda_fan
10-29-05, 02:26 AM
I am not too concerned about game library as I am graphics :) Most good games should be on both, with that being said, I believe the PS3 will definetely have better graphics.

One thing I'm noticing is that a lot of "XBOX 360 only" games are starting to pop up. Kamo (or whatever) is looking pretty good, so does gears of war, and there are several others as well. Maybe Sony will have something to counter balance it closer to launch, but right now, the XBOX game library is looking pretty sweet.

jAkUp
10-29-05, 02:27 AM
I really wanna see a next gen GTA game. I think that will be a sight to behold :)

Edge
10-29-05, 02:33 AM
Right now I pick Xbox 360 since more games have been shown on it that interest me. But that's not surprising since it's launching before the PS3. I'm sure I'll find plenty of great games on both during their lifecycles, it's a bit hard to say which will end up having the most.

Bad_Boy
10-29-05, 02:45 AM
I really wanna see a next gen GTA game. I think that will be a sight to behold :)
yeah indeed, it will be interesting on how it compares to saints row; which looks pretty good for a gta clone.

also, with the teams of the current gen top graphical games working on the next consoles, i wonder how their games will pan out. (god of war, resident evil 4, shadow of the colossus, etc.)

Amuro
10-29-05, 05:54 AM
None of the Xbox 360 launch games interests me. Anyways, I thnink PS3 is going to be better in the end, why? Because it's made by a Japanese company, and Japan > USA when it comes to consoles.

PeterJensen
10-29-05, 06:36 AM
None of the Xbox 360 launch games interests me. Anyways, I thnink PS3 is going to be better in the end, why? Because it's made by a Japanese company, and Japan > USA when it comes to consoles.

lol :rolleyes:

Knot3D
10-29-05, 07:01 AM
It's stupid to leave out the Nintendo Revolution.

Preference of games library is highly subjective.

I myself, I'm going for PS3. I can see Xbox360 build up a large
installed base before PS3 launches though...

DoomUK
10-29-05, 10:12 AM
Well right now I have the urge to play PGR3 quite badly... so I vote for XBOX360 :p

Zelda_fan
10-29-05, 10:47 AM
It's stupid to leave out the Nintendo Revolution.

Preference of games library is highly subjective.

I myself, I'm going for PS3. I can see Xbox360 build up a large
installed base before PS3 launches though...

I am the biggest nintendo fanboy on this forum lol. The reason I left it out is becasue the system isn't even close to final yet, and we don't even know the game library at launch. If there was more info, I'd put it up there.

Ruined
10-29-05, 10:51 AM
Looking at the specs, I would say XBOX 360 has the edge. Though the PS3 may have more raw power on paper, it does not seem to be efficiently used for gaming applications. The X360 CPU seems to be better suited as a general purpose CPU to do non-GPU calculations for games, and X360 GPU looks to have more technology under the hood allowing for more complex effects. PS3's Cell-based CPU looks like it would be great if you needed the CPU to do both CPU and GPU calculations, but with the powerful GPUs already in these consoles I see the those extra SPE units simply being a hinderance to non-GPU calculations. The PS3's G70-based GPU will likely be fast, but looking at certain aspects of the G70 vs R520 such as dynamic branching performance and HDR+AA leads me to believe that the unified shader-based R500 in X360 will likely have better performance with more complex shaders - shaders that can actually be used on a console as all users will have the more complex hardware unlike a PC.

Also, in terms of standards XBOX 360 has announced firmer requirements for devs. XBOX 360 programmers must minimally support 720p, 16:9, 2xAA, and 5.1 sound on every game (in addition to lesser resolutions). So far, though Sony has announced that they support HDTV as well their standards announced sound very loose, so that developers could release a 480i, 4:3, Stereo game on PS3 and get it on the shelf, which sucks considering I have a 57" HDTV (Sony-brand ironically).

As for games, so far the XBOX 360 exclusives look more appealing than the PS3 exclusives.

IMO

In terms of exclusives...
PGR3 + Forza2 > GT5
PD0 + Halo3 > Killzone2
Kameo > All of PS2's platformer franchises combined
DOA4 + KI3 > Tekken6
Lost Odyssey + Blue Dragon = FF12

and in terms of multiplatform...
Splinter Cell > MGS

|MaguS|
10-29-05, 10:54 AM
I voted PS3 even though I love Most Wanted on the x360. Might get the x360 just for it...

Mr_LoL
10-29-05, 11:56 AM
At least we can now get great looking PC ports with these new consoles.

Vagrant Zero
10-29-05, 01:42 PM
PS3. I play RPGs. PS has always dominated in the feild.

HowlingPhoenix
10-29-05, 03:23 PM
I voted for the Xbox 360. PGR3 is the only console game that I really want right now.

Zelda_fan
10-29-05, 03:56 PM
PS3. I play RPGs. PS has always dominated in the feild.

I would actually say the PC has dominated RPGs. I happen to love RPGs myself, and looking at the XBOX 360's lineup, it has some KILLER RPGs on it.

Oblivion and Kameo just to name a few.. BioWare's also making a new action RPG for it as well. There are several others, but I can't remember there names atm.

Vagrant Zero
10-29-05, 04:47 PM
I would actually say the PC has dominated RPGs. I happen to love RPGs myself, and looking at the XBOX 360's lineup, it has some KILLER RPGs on it.

Oblivion and Kameo just to name a few.. BioWare's also making a new action RPG for it as well. There are several others, but I can't remember there names atm.

Mass Effect looks like crap. Dragon Age is where it's at.

And Oblivion is coming out on PC.

As for PCs having more rpgs than the PS2...ya sure...if you're a delusional frak I can see that happening. I've got over 50 games for my PS2, at least 20 are RPGs.

msxyz
10-29-05, 06:25 PM
Where is the Phantom option ?

:lol2:

Ruined
10-29-05, 07:23 PM

As for PCs having more rpgs than the PS2...ya sure...if you're a delusional frak I can see that happening. I've got over 50 games for my PS2, at least 20 are RPGs.

No interest in Lost Odyssey or Blue Dragon?

Zelda_fan
10-29-05, 08:04 PM

but a lot of peole (like myself) would rather spend $399 on an XBOX than $1000 on upgrading their PC. So to me, Oblivion might as well be an XBOX unique game.

You've got to be kidding.... Allow me to list some of the most successful RPG's of all time (I won't even include expansion packs):

Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate II
Icewind Dale
Icewind Dale II
Neverwinter Nights
Diablo
Diablo II
Planescane Tournament
Knight's of the Old Republic
Knight's of the Old Republic II
Morrowind
Gothic
Gothic II
Dungeon Siege
Everquest
Everquest II
World of Warcraft
DeusEx
DeusEx 2
Fallout I
Fallout II

Now that right there is 20+ very good RPG titles that I just pulled off the top of my head. You won't find any of them on the PS2. Further more, that dosen't even count small time RPGs like Conan and Knight's of the Crusade that are very good games but fly under the radar. You still want to claim that the PS2 is the best RPG platform?

Mr. Hunt
10-29-05, 08:10 PM
Depends on your type of RPG though, Jonk... different types and Vagrant might like the more "Japanese" style ones (Final Fantasy series, Dragon Quest, etc.)

Toss3
10-29-05, 08:12 PM
....Lost Odyssey + Blue Dragon = FF12

I'm sorry but FF12 is coming out for the ps2 and not for the ps3! :(

Where is the Phantom option ?

Don't you mean the Phantom360? :rolleyes: