PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia to launch 7800 GTX 512 on 7th of November!!!

Digital_Trans
10-29-05, 02:04 AM
Nvidia to launch 7800 GTX 512MB Graphics card on 7th of November

Messing with Radeon X1800XT sales

NVIDIA IS planning a seven eleven style counter attack on the Radeon X1800XT.
Just whem ATI said it should be ready with the Radeon X1800XT, its overarching rival plans to reveal its Geforce 7800 GTX with 512MB of memory. As far as we know this card won't have different clock speeds from its 256MB brother but this could easily change.

Nvidia knows that ATI will be one or even two weeks late with the Radeon X1800XT as we don’t expect to see any cards before the twenty something of November, and Nvidia will be there to nail ATI with its 512 MB cards.

However, according to intels we found out, we don’t expect that the 512MB version of Geforce 7800 GTX will be any faster but you never know your luck in the big city.

We know that Geforce 7800 GTX 512 MB cards are again going to be available at launch, and it's very likely that they will also be cheaper than ATI's Radeon X1800XT cards. Nvidia will have a two to three weeks advantage over ATI.

Nvidia will hit ATI hard and it will hurt, Nvidia is in a better position as it is completely controlling the ball - it already has its cards while ATI has still to get them. This is very hard pressure on ATI, Nvidia is pressing its Canadian rival as hard as it can.

jAkUp
10-29-05, 02:19 AM
I thought that the 7800GTX 512mb was gonna have higher clocks?

Digital_Trans
10-29-05, 02:34 AM
Right, I'll just get myself the water cooled 7800 GTX-OC with 512MB.
BFG AND eVGA are among the two who would make perfect for this purchase.
They clock their's at 490 if not higher buy the time the cards are released to the end-suer market.
I'll just sell my BFG 7800 GTX-OC 256MB-GDDR3 SLI setup on ebay. I'll then use the money to upgrade to the Ultra-high end delight 7800 GTX 512 QTY. 2 for SLI.
At least this away, I won't have to take a larger hit to my wallet.

andy_nv
10-29-05, 04:31 AM
I thought that the 7800GTX 512mb was gonna have higher clocks?

Who knows, maybe you'll get lower clocks for the memory (950, 1000 MHz ?), that's what usually happens with 512mb crads, they use lower rated memory (1.8 or 2ns).

Amuro
10-29-05, 04:42 AM
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58776

BrianG
10-29-05, 09:08 AM
I have a feeling that strictly based on yields, the manufacturers should be able to achieve higher baseline clockspeeds. NVIDIA, while not officially supporting the higher clocks, will likely encourage the OC versions higher speeds. As ling as the memory follows suit, the 512MB card should be impressive.

keith33
10-29-05, 11:27 AM
Argh I think I'll hold my GTX till a core-refresh, although 512MB would be really nice, I just sprung ~$600 on a 256MB version a few months ago. All you guys that are actually dumping your GTX SLI setups just to get double the memory truly amaze me, I wish I could as well :(. Just out of curiousity though, will this have a HUGE impact on performance even if you have 2GB of ram?

Riptide
10-29-05, 11:46 AM
Keith just use your tradeup option w/eVGA. You only have to pay the difference...

keith33
10-29-05, 12:15 PM
Keith just use your tradeup option w/eVGA. You only have to pay the difference...

That's a good idea, why didn't I think of that :o. Thanks a lot. I want to see the benchies when it comes out, I'm sort of stashing some dough to get an M2 board, CPU, and 2-3GB of DDR2 ram as soon as that comes out. I really want a dual core but I'm not spending money on a 939 system when my is already sufficiently decent so I'll be first in line for the new socket. :)

Riptide
10-29-05, 12:58 PM
Personally I have to wonder how DDR2 is really going to bring much benefit to the table w/regard to Athlon64. A64 has never been real bandwidth hungry like the P4 netburst is. Enough OT though...

The difference shouldn't be THAT much. I just paid $459 to newegg for my 7800GTX. I would doubt the 512MB model will be more than $549 or so, or at least I'm hoping.

kwynjunk
10-29-05, 12:58 PM
Does BFG have a trade up deal?

superklye
10-29-05, 01:05 PM
Does BFG have a trade up deal?
I don't think so. The only company I've heard of that does it is eVGA. It's a great program, but I kind of wish they would extend it to 6 months.

jAkUp
10-29-05, 01:33 PM
How many months is it? I bought my cards in June so I think I'm pwn3d.

Not to mention my cards BIOS's... I think I voided my warranty.. haha

superklye
10-29-05, 01:37 PM
haha...it's just for 90 days. Which is pretty okay, but how often does nVIDIA release another card 90 days after the first flagship?

Sure, if you bought a GT because you didn't have the extra hundo for a GTX, then it's awesome because you just pay $100, send the GT back and get GTX, but if you already bought the top of the line, the step-up is pretty much useless.

Fotis
10-29-05, 01:37 PM
My XFX 7800GT died today:( and its on the DOA timeframe so I'll send it back and go for a 512MB card.

keith33
10-29-05, 01:45 PM
They might use the same new GDDR3 that Ati is using for their XT cards, 1500mhz memory :o

Hex
10-29-05, 01:47 PM
I think Inquirer articles should be kept to rumor only.
I will not get really excited until the Nvidia site or EVGA or someone else says an official date.
Then of course it is game on.

Riptide
10-29-05, 02:08 PM
haha...it's just for 90 days. Which is pretty okay, but how often does nVIDIA release another card 90 days after the first flagship?Hence why it is most useful if you buy the high end card a couple months before the next refresh comes out. Like in my case - bought a 7800GTX last week. I might actually get some use out of that tradeup option.

The only part I don't like is the downtime - you have to send in your current card and wait for a couple days turnaround before they send you the new one. So you either have a spare and keep on running in the interim or you are totally down while you wait.

superklye
10-29-05, 02:20 PM
Hence why it is most useful if you buy the high end card a couple months before the next refresh comes out. Like in my case - bought a 7800GTX last week. I might actually get some use out of that tradeup option.

The only part I don't like is the downtime - you have to send in your current card and wait for a couple days turnaround before they send you the new one. So you either have a spare and keep on running in the interim or you are totally down while you wait.
Yeah, that's true I guess.

And yeah, the downtime would definitely suck. It'd be cool if they would like put a hold on your CC for the full price of the card and cross-ship the new one, removing the hold when the old card arrives and then just charge you the difference. In fact, I'm kind of surprised they DON'T do that.

Pennyboy
10-29-05, 03:43 PM
512mb Cards would be nice but my 2x 256mb 7800GTXs will more than do me until the new cards come out next year. As far as i'm concerned nVidia don't really need to do anything to the current GTXs, hey they are available, f*rking fast, SLI kicks Crossfires butt. Who can be bothered waiting any longer for an X1800XT that is a dual slot loud piece. Geez that XT is 6 months late to the game.

Riptide
10-29-05, 05:30 PM
It'd be cool if they would like put a hold on your CC for the full price of the card and cross-ship the new one, removing the hold when the old card arrives and then just charge you the difference. In fact, I'm kind of surprised they DON'T do that.Most companies won't cross ship any more. I'm not sure why. I'm guessing they got bit a few times by fraud and so now it's a no-no. Kinda like one bad apple ruins the lot... Lame but true it seems.

hectorsm
10-29-05, 06:58 PM
Who knows, maybe you'll get lower clocks for the memory (950, 1000 MHz ?), that's what usually happens with 512mb crads, they use lower rated memory (1.8 or 2ns).

I don't think nvidia will risk getting run over by the X1800XT which has a much faster memory. If ati can afford to do it so, so could nvidia.

Digital_Trans
10-31-05, 02:17 AM
Right on! You took the words right out of my mouth. If ATI can it, Nvidia better be one step ahead of the game. Let's keep our fingers crossed! :D