PDA

View Full Version : Asus P5N32-SLI: Dual x16 - What Dreams Are Made On . . .

sabersix1
10-29-05, 11:36 AM
Anandtech has a Great Review of this FANTASTIC Motherboard.

Asus P5N32-SLI: Dual x16 - What Dreams Are Made On . . .

Date: October 27th, 2005
Topic: Motherboard
Manufacturer: ASUS
Author: Gary Key
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2580&p=3

This is an OUTSTANDING Review of this Fantastic Board. I have had mine since last Friday, OCT. 21, and I am awaiting the arrival of a NEW PSU made by Enermax, which was Customized By PerformancePCS.com. It is the Enermax Liberty620W Model : ELT620AWT
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ucts _id=3662

After having the first Tt 680W Silent PurePower fail on me as well as frying 3 of my HDD's. I decided on this New Enermax PSU as it has DUAL 12Volt Rails @ 22Amps each, Modular Cabeling with SLI Certification, and an 80% Efficiency Rating. Especially with the fact that I will be using TWO EVGA BLACK PEARL (WHEN RELEASED)7800 GTX GPU's in SLI and Twin WD 74Raptors in RAID 1 and Twin WD RE160's in RAID 1, I cant afford to have a PSU that gives me doubts. Even the replacement that Thermaltake sent me gives me cause for concern as I see my Chassis Fans Drop out once in awhile.

I also bought a new Sound Card. Of course I bought the Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS Gamerz Special Edition as the ASUS board utilizes the Realtek ALC850. Read this paragraph from the above Anandtech Article (COMPARING ON-Board SOUND) and you will see why.

" The Battlefield 2 numbers are interesting as the Asus P5N32-SLI Deluxe implementation of the Realtek ALC850 sound solution creates a 12% loss in frame rates. This compares to 27% on the Gigabyte GA-8N SLI Quad in this highly popular on-line game in which sound is as critical as frame rates. Splinter Cell Chaos Theory has an acceptable loss of 6%, but Wolfenstein Enemy Territory loss is close to 13%. Obviously, if you are a serious gamer, then a dedicated sound card is a requirement and fortunately, the board had two PCI slots available."

Fortunatly, I had already ordered and recieved the new Sound Card before this article was published. Hopefully I will have my new PSU by Monday or Tuesday and will be able to install everything ( 3.73GHz EE CPU, 4x 512MB DIMMS of Corsair PC2-8000UL 1000MHz DDR2 RAM, EVGA 7800 GTX KO ACS3, and the Gigabyte 3D Galaxy Water Cooler into my Tt Kandalf Case. I promice to take plenty of Pics to show you guys. Wish Me Luck. :angel: JKohl

sabersix1
10-31-05, 12:11 AM
I will Post Pics Soon. But READ the Anandtech Review.

Lars
11-02-05, 01:49 PM
I will Post Pics Soon. But READ the Anandtech Review.

I'll be awaiting your results with great interest. I've run a couple of Nforce 4 IE boards so far but haven't been too impressed with their overclocking potential.

I'm currently using an Asus P5WD2 Premium but not using my 2x 7800 GTX's in SLI (as it won't happen on Intel mobo's anytime soon).

I'm particularly interested in how it handles high fsb, high mem speed. So please do tell :)

Digital_Trans
11-03-05, 12:54 AM
I'll be getting myself one of these motherboards very soon in conjuction with two eVGA 7800 GTX 512MB Graphics Cards for SLI. I've got everything else and this would complete the rig! :D

Lars
11-07-05, 11:46 AM
Any of you guys got your boards yet? I finally found a shop in Germany with the P5N32-SLI in stock, so of course I ordered it right away.... :D

Still would be nice to hear about you results, as my board is probably 3-4 days away. :)

wheeljack12
11-07-05, 09:50 PM
I am possession of one of those boards now. Got it from a Canadian retailer. W/shipping and tax, $334 cdn. Upgrading the P5ND2-SLI deluxe. Beautiful Design. Want to put a Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 in there but I am not sure with the heat sinks. Know I can't add the extra Heat sink near the cpu fans if I can.

Lars
11-08-05, 01:46 AM
I am possession of one of those boards now. Got it from a Canadian retailer. W/shipping and tax, $334 cdn. Upgrading the P5ND2-SLI deluxe. Beautiful Design. Want to put a Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 in there but I am not sure with the heat sinks. Know I can't add the extra Heat sink near the cpu fans if I can.

Cool stuff. Have you got it up and running yet? I'm probably going to put watercooling on the northbridge, are there mounting holes through the motherboard on the P5N32-SLI?

Lars
11-19-05, 12:37 PM
Well, I've got mine up and running finally. Everything is working properly, I have 2x Gainward 7800 Golden Samples in SLI, Creative X-FI soundcard and a Hauppage tv-tuner card.

I've got my P4 670 running @ 4.65 Ghz for now, as well as 4x 512MB Corsair 5400UL @ DDR2667 cas 3-2-2-8 1T. That's not too bad. But it does look like I'm hitting pretty much the same overclocking wall above ~245 Mhz fsb with this board as I did with my Abit NI8. Which is a pity really, I was hoping the power curcuitry would've made a difference. I haven't tested for prime/pcmark stability yet

Now it may not seem to shabby for most of you, but with my Mach II GT cooling this cpu does 5.1 Ghz+ pcmark/prime stable in my Asus P5WD2, and 3dmarks @ ~5.3 Ghz

wheeljack12
11-19-05, 02:50 PM
Lars, I am finally building this monday. Let you know how things go. BTW, did you see the thread about where the EZ plug is? Didn't notice until now. That is going to suck unless Nvidia gets smart on the next card after the 512mb 7800 gtxnd goes back to the thin, longer card as they did with the 256mb 7800 gtx.

Lars
11-20-05, 12:22 AM
Lars, I am finally building this monday. Let you know how things go. BTW, did you see the thread about where the EZ plug is? Didn't notice until now. That is going to suck unless Nvidia gets smart on the next card after the 512mb 7800 gtxnd goes back to the thin, longer card as they did with the 256mb 7800 gtx.

Great, looking forward to seeing how it works out for you.

Yeah, whoever placed the EZ plug where it is needs his head examined.... :rolleyes: I have mine plugged in, but then i "only" have 2x 256MB 7800GTX's. On the other hand I also need to use both pci slots, so I wouldn't have been able to use 2x dual slot videocards with the pci layout either.

UPDATE > Still testing, I'm @ 260 Mhz fsb now, which equals 4940 Mhz on the cpu. However I have an odd problem. I cannot overclock the videocards. Any attempt to do so and the system freezes in 3d apps.... Odd. Also, it seems Futuremarks site is down and has been most of the morning, so I can't upload the latest scores

Lars
11-20-05, 01:29 PM
The issue with not being able to overclock the videocards turned out to be related to heat. The second 7800GTX is like right next to the X-Fi soundcard, so the memory will NOT do the 1400+ Mhz it usually does. So no bugs.

Still no ORB online, so all I've got is a validated cpuz shot here 5016 Mhz validated (http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=51729) This is 3dmark, pcmark and gaming stable with 2x 7800GTX 256MB in SLI.

The memory speed is reported wrong by cpuz, it's actually double of what cpuz reads. I'm still messing with different bios settings. I get pretty much the same superpi times clock for clock as on my P5WD2.

CountryTec
04-28-06, 04:46 AM
Hi - I'm still trying to get my two Gainward 7800 GT GLH's running. I have P5N32-SLI Deluxe, Intel 955EE, 4G RAM. Did try lot's of BIOS and Driver Settings but only see one GPU really working (3DMark05 at about 9300). Also the "load" Information during 3DMark05 starts in the middle of the screen an then moves down to about 1/10 of it. Where am I wrong? ASUS support is involved but not with success. Thanks - CountryTec

Added 5th of May: What's surprising me is that 3DMark05 Details show one card as AGP and second as PCI (see Card Slots
Slot 1/2 (AGP)
Order 0
Designation AGP
Type AGP
Characteristics 3.3V, Shared, PME Signal
Data Bus Width 32 b
Details Available, Long
IRQ 0

Slot 2/2 (PCI)
Order 1
Designation PCI1
Type PCI
Characteristics 3.3V, Shared, PME Signal
Data Bus Width 32 b
Details Available, Long
IRQ 0

john19055
04-29-06, 11:28 PM
I had the MSI K8N Diamond plus and I was really dissaponted in it I could'nt tell that it was any better then the Gigabyte Ga K8N Pro SLI I have ,It may have two true 16x PCIe slots but I did'nt get any higher frame rate with it,compared to my Gigabyte SLI which is just 8x on the PCIe with my two 7800GT's and I could'nt get it to overclock worth a darn.Ever time I would up my FSB it would just beep and I would have to reset the Cmos to even get it to boot back up.I did'nt have any problems like that with my gigabyte board ,I could put my opteron 148 at 280 FSB x 10 at 1.5v and it would boot to 2.8gig with no problems.I would just try 220 and it would'nt even boot up at that small overclock.

sabersix1
05-01-06, 08:29 AM
Hi - I'm still trying to get my two Gainward 7800 GT GLH's running. I have P5N32-SLI Deluxe, Intel 955EE, 4G RAM. Did try lot's of BIOS and Driver Settings but only see one GPU really working (3DMark05 at about 9300). Also the "load" Information during 3DMark05 starts in the middle of the screen an then moves down to about 1/10 of it. Where am I wrong? ASUS support is involved but not with success. Thanks - CountryTec

This board will only support four gigs of ram on 32-bit Win 2003 Server/Enterprise Server or 64-bit WinXP64 or Win 2003Server64
If You are using Window xp Pro 32-bit you will not be able to use more than three gigs(Windows XP can't read 4gbs of address on this board) I would just try running 1ONE gig in each channel. If you need help with your Graphics cards, send me a PM, And I will try to help.:D

ssu
05-11-06, 02:08 PM
I have this P5N32-SLI Deluxe mb with dual 7800GTX cards and 4GB or memory, Fedora core 5 and SLES 9 install and run very very slow on the machine. Any ideas?

Thank you

Simon