PDA

View Full Version : What is up with the EVGA 7800GT's BIOS'es??

newls1
10-29-05, 02:35 PM
Ok, I recieved my 2 7800GT "CO's" yesterday, and was all HAPPY to start playing games. After installing both cards, and a fresh install of the drivers, rebooted, then enabled SLI, and now I was like , started up UT2004 played for like 10 seconds, then the PC CRASHED to the desktop. I was pretty upset, thought that maybe it was a power issue, but it wasnt. Checked to make sure it wasnt a temp issue, but once again it wasnt. rebooted the PC then installed HL2, as soon as HL2 was done being installed, I started that game up. Played for like 10 seconds, then the PC CRASHED to the desktop again. NOW IM PO'ed! Went into the control panel too see what BIOS version I had, and It turned out to be 5.70.02.13.02. Then I pulled out both cards to verify that BIOS revision, and to my surprize, BOTH CARDS SAID 5.70.02.13.01. How could my cards sticker say it was the "01" BIOS, and the software say another. EVGA, WHAT DID YOU DO HERE?? Anyway, I flashed to the 5.70.02.13."03" BIOS, and THANK GOD, UT2004 so far is the only game i've had time to try, and it seems to be working fine (KNOCK ON WOOD) so far. Why do you think I had so many issues with the "02" bios, and (SO FAR) no issues with the "03" BIOS. Thanks everyone.

keith33
10-29-05, 02:39 PM
Ok, I recieved my 2 7800GT "CO's" yesterday, and was all HAPPY to start playing games. After installing both cards, and a fresh install of the drivers, rebooted, then enabled SLI, and now I was like , started up UT2004 played for like 10 seconds, then the PC CRASHED to the desktop. I was pretty upset, thought that maybe it was a power issue, but it wasnt. Checked to make sure it wasnt a temp issue, but once again it wasnt. rebooted the PC then installed HL2, as soon as HL2 was done being installed, I started that game up. Played for like 10 seconds, then the PC CRASHED to the desktop again. NOW IM PO'ed! Went into the control panel too see what BIOS version I had, and It turned out to be 5.70.02.13.02. Then I pulled out both cards to verify that BIOS revision, and to my surprize, BOTH CARDS SAID 5.70.02.13.01. How could my cards sticker say it was the "01" BIOS, and the software say another. EVGA, WHAT DID YOU DO HERE?? Anyway, I flashed to the 5.70.02.13."03" BIOS, and THANK GOD, UT2004 so far is the only game i've had time to try, and it seems to be working fine (KNOCK ON WOOD) so far. Why do you think I had so many issues with the "02" bios, and (SO FAR) no issues with the "03" BIOS. Thanks everyone.

A lot of people had this issue with all 7 series cards for eVGA. They actually provided the new BIOS on their website to all of their customers saying to flash if you encounter any problems. You weren't the only one, check out the eVGA forums, they have a better explanation than I could fathom. Good troubleshooting technique though.:afro:

adpr 02
10-29-05, 06:12 PM
I wanna flash since I have had the same probs from teh beginning. I am afraid to. I am a nOOBZORZ at flashing. I have no floppy disk. Can someone PLEASE (I know it's much to ask for) give me a link of the bios at evga (I couln't find it) an d tell me how to flash?

THANK you VERRRY much if u help.

OWA
10-29-05, 06:18 PM
Yeah, that happened with some of the first BFG cards also. The stickers listed one bios revision but the card actually had something different.

adpr 02
10-29-05, 06:29 PM
I can't find the bios....

EDIT: OR how to flash it without a floppy drive.

adpr 02
10-29-05, 07:01 PM
I have that problem with BF2 btw. nothing else.

NightFire
10-29-05, 08:12 PM
Here are the links to message board which links to the BIOS downloads:

http://www.evga.com/Community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8247

adpr 02
10-29-05, 09:59 PM
I went through that topic. I don't get how to flash without a floppy still. I have some instructions, but I don't get any of it. I am good with hardware, but I lack when it comes to software unfortunately.......

Here's what It says:

Non-Floppy Method
If you do not have a floppy drive, download the the compressed zip 7800GT_2.zip. Extract the files and when you get to a DOS prompt (you must be able to boot into a DOS prompt, a command prompt within Windows will not work), type RUNME and the flash utility will execute.

What on god's green earth does that mean?

Riptide
10-29-05, 11:04 PM
I'm new to Nvidia cards. How can you tell which BIOS your card has and what your current clock frequencies are? I have 81.85 loaded and it's a 7800GTX.

jAkUp
10-29-05, 11:11 PM
In the nvidia options, click on 7800GTX at the top, and it will show you y our BIOS version.

Also, your eVGA card should have the BIOS listed on the back of the card.

BTW, nice old school avatar ;)

Riptide
10-29-05, 11:13 PM
BTW, nice old school avatar ;)LOL thanks. It's the one I used for the longest time when I first was able to have an avatar here. I figured I wanted to be retro again.

Besides transformers were badass.

BTW I have BIOS 5.70.02.11.01

Is this a problem? Or is it only going to be an issue in SLI?

UberRN69
10-29-05, 11:15 PM
I went through that topic. I don't get how to flash without a floppy still. I have some instructions, but I don't get any of it. I am good with hardware, but I lack when it comes to software unfortunately.......

Here's what It says:

Non-Floppy Method
If you do not have a floppy drive, download the the compressed zip 7800GT_2.zip. Extract the files and when you get to a DOS prompt (you must be able to boot into a DOS prompt, a command prompt within Windows will not work), type RUNME and the flash utility will execute.

What on god's green earth does that mean?

Use this link here: http://www.evga.com/Community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8425

This should help you out.... :jammin:

adpr 02
10-30-05, 12:35 AM
Uber RN69, did you v-mod your card?

Auswak
10-30-05, 01:59 AM
The Bios situation is quite simple

They are downloadable from here:
7800GT: http://www.evga.com/community/bios7800gt/

7800GT CO: http://www.evga.com/community/bios7800gtco/

Please make sure that you have registered your video card before using the download page, as it will require your serial number.

The latest BIOS version is: 5.70.02.13.03
This is for EVGA cards

Bios 5.70.02.13.01 had the Geometric Delta of 40MHz and lower 2D Core clocks

Bios 5.70.02.13.02 had the Geometric Delta removed and matched 2D & 3D cores, but mistakenly had memory clocked at 1200MHz

Bios 5.70.02.13.03 has Geometric Delta removed, matching 2D & 3D Cores 470MHz and Memory clock of 1100MHz.

Hope this clears everything up.

If you are an EVGA card owner and require any Bios, please do not hesitate to contact EVGA by phone 888-881-3842 and someone will help in forwarding your request.

:)

PS: The Free SLI Motherboard Promotion is back at EVGA!