PDA

View Full Version : ***Official PC Game of the Year 2005 Thread***

Pages : [1] 2 3

jAkUp
10-29-05, 10:46 PM
What do you think is Game of the Year for 2005? Keep in mind this is only for PC games! Another honorable mention, that I did not have room for above would be Swat 4.

My two favorite games of this year were F.E.A.R. and quake4. If I had to choose a single one, I think F.E.A.R. edges it out with the (IMO) superior graphics, A.I., and story. Not to mention its just pure creepy. F.E.A.R. is one of the best games I have played in a while I think. Also, I know I'm in the minority with this, but I am really enjoying the MP portion of the game as well.

For nostalgia value, here (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43134) is how the nVnews Poll went for PC Game of the Year 2004. Half-Life 2 won by a landslide, this year, I think the results will be much closer :)

lowdog
10-29-05, 11:14 PM
Probably FEAR at this stage, but who knows Elder Scrolls Oblivion might come along and steal it's thunder.

OWA
10-29-05, 11:20 PM
Quake 4 for me. I like it's variety, detailed environments, fast pace, and great graphics. Plus, it runs really well. FEAR and COD2 are very close 2nd and 3rd respectively. Any other time and I'm sure I would have voted for them. It's just unfortunate that they were all released around the same time. Edit: I also really like SCCT but since I have to use the DVD to play, I haven't really played it as much as I'd like. That seemingly minor inconvenience is often more of a hassle than I'm willing to deal with.

Aphot
10-29-05, 11:22 PM
FEAR

Good story line, very creepy and original, second would be Call of Duty 2. Very awesome but not original. Then Quake 4 comes 3rd, very fast lots of guns lots of killing :P.

jAkUp
10-29-05, 11:24 PM
Damn, I completely forgot about Oblivion... well, when 2006 hits we'll have another thread ;)

fuelrod
10-29-05, 11:30 PM
F.E.A.R. - best single player game.

Battlefield 2 - best multiplayer game.

Edge
10-29-05, 11:43 PM
I'd say BF2 overall, I've sunk a LOT of hours into that game. FEAR was good, but I was a little disapointed in it. But since the year isn't done, it's hard to pick which one is best yet ;)

Hex
10-30-05, 12:04 AM
FEAR.
Quake 4 is close, but FEAR brought a little more to the table.

zoomy942
10-30-05, 12:13 AM
call of duty 2. hands down.

Rampant CL
10-30-05, 12:20 AM
I voted quake, but I know i'll still be playing civ 4 between now and whenever the next one comes out.

PSYCHODAD
10-30-05, 12:20 AM
Voted for BF2. Great MP game. Lotta good games in the list tho and I
haven't played CoD2 yet.

Greg
10-30-05, 12:21 AM
There were some excellent games released this year. My vote was for Battlefield2, because it is plain fun and I still play it.

Battlefied2 - A worthy successor in the Battlefield series, some issues with fairness, but never a dull moment. If you are willing to use voice coms, join a squad and role play, you can have a great 'play war' experience. I havn't had this much war fun since Operation Flashpoint. Lets try to forget BFV.

FEAR - Forced myself to play the demo. Fantastic graphics, one of the few games to exceed Doom3 and FarCry in shinyness. But I was bored stiff, sorry.

SilentHunter3 - Fantastic looking WW2 submarine simulation. Enough game for the gamers and enough sim for the simmers. Loads of fun, but real long dull trips across the atlantic even at 1000x time compression.

Trackmania Sunrise - Colorful, frantic and sheer fun driving game. Mixing stunts with puzzles, quite unique. A little too hard, yet surprisingly addictive.

Call of Duty2 - Only played the demo. Looked great, played great, felt like a shooting gallery. Action story was great with Medal Of Honour, but I'm finding these story shooters more tedious all the time.

Sid Meiers Pirates - Colorful, fun, open gameplay. For all the minigames and freedom, the game was still a little empty. Still a great game.

Silent Storm: Sentinels - Expansion for Silent Storm, then best turn based strategy until possibly the new UFO Aftermath. Stunning graphics, physics, destruction. Difficulty varies widly.

Knights Of The Old Republic 2 - Acceptable, enjoyable sequal to KOTOR1. Not quite cutting it graphically, rushed though delayed, with incomplete story and subquests. Still a good, playable game, particularly after several patches.

Some of those games may have actually had a Christmas 2004 release date, but it was 2005 when they were widely available or played.

jAkUp
10-30-05, 12:24 AM
Yes, Trackmania Sunrise was also one of my favorite games this year. Simple game, but damn genious.

superklye
10-30-05, 01:37 AM
No doubt in my mind: F.E.A.R. all the way.

Richteralan
10-30-05, 01:43 AM
tough to choose, if FEAR DEMO is in the list, I maybe would choose that:lol:

Mr_LoL
10-30-05, 01:48 AM
GTA San Andreas. Never has so much fun be packed into one game. I curse myself for not waiting for the pc version everyday.

marqmajere
10-30-05, 01:54 AM
F.E.A.R.

Been waiting over a year for it to be released. I was not disappointed. Perhaps some other game will surface in the next 2 months that's even better, but untill then, FEAR get's my vote, no questions asked. :)

Mr. Hunt
10-30-05, 01:59 AM
FEAR... although Civ 4 has been destroying my life lately and CoD 2 has been entertaining so far... but I have to finish CoD2 before I can really get a good judgement on it.

HowlingPhoenix
10-30-05, 02:05 AM
Quake 4 is definetly my favorite game so far this year.

jAkUp
10-30-05, 02:12 AM
This (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43134) is how the nVnews Poll went for PC Game of the Year 2004. Half-Life 2 won by a mile last year. Battlefield Vietnam only got 1 vote. We are way passed that with Battlefield 2 this year.

thecrazykevy
10-30-05, 02:15 AM
F.E.A.R.

I'm scared to vote for anything else. :eek: :D

Muppet
10-30-05, 02:32 AM
I would have to say BF2, i just can't get enough of this game, it ROCKS :D

SH64
10-30-05, 05:51 AM
FEAR! .. & Quake 4 comes pretty close.

Superfly
10-30-05, 05:59 AM
Damn, I completely forgot about Oblivion... well, when 2006 hits we'll have another thread ;)

yes but Oblivion would have been a 2005 game thus unable to qualify for a 2006 game of the year thread........:rolleyes:

BioHazZarD
10-30-05, 06:09 AM
U spelled quake4 with small letter on purpose or something ?