PDA

View Full Version : tv card for pc

antecs2
10-30-05, 07:31 AM
hello i am new to this forum, first post. would like to get a tv card but there are many and prices are from $30 to $200.do not know anything about them.some make of card reliable and not complicated thanks

Zelda_fan
10-30-05, 09:54 AM
hauppage makes the best. You can get a solid one for around $99 I think.

BrianG
10-30-05, 10:14 AM
hello i am new to this forum, first post. would like to get a tv card but there are many and prices are from $30 to $200.do not know anything about them.some make of card reliable and not complicated thanks
Not complicated. Hmmm, definitley stay away from ATI's TV Wonder. Great hardware, bad software.

I use DScaler on mine, which is a great free app for TV viewing. It ahs several deinterlacing modes that yield the best picture of any software I have tried. It has support for many of the "cheaper" bundles out there, so you may want to consider getting a cheaper bundle and using DScaler.

From other reviews I have read, the Hauppage bundles are nice. there are a few with PVR capability, but I am not sure of that is on your wish list.

Do you plan on just watching tv while web-browing or do you have future HTPC plans? What video card? (ATI's software lieks ATI cards.)

Q
10-30-05, 01:30 PM
Hauppage makes popular cards...I wouldn't say the best. It depends on what you want to do with it, really.

If you care about quality over everything else for regular TV, get a Compro Videomate. It will be the best quality for a normal TV card that you will ever see. The software isn't shabby, the price is cheap, but it is a software based encoding card. As long as you have a half ass decent system, you really don't have to worry to much about this.

If you care about performance, get a Hauppage. Decent software and very good hardware compression, taking the load off your CPU. Not the best IQ and it is a more expensive card.

I left out the ATI Theater Pro on purpose. It does have the BEST picture quality and it's hardware based. However, I bought one and have to tell you that it is a pain to work with. The software is attrocious and having to pick up an additional app to use it was unacceptable in my opinion. If you don't mind shelling out over $100 for the card and then another $50 for software...this one COULD be for you.

If you need specifics let me know. Use google to find out some of the particulars with the above mentioned items first, though.

ricercar
10-30-05, 01:44 PM
I have two machines with Windows XP Media Center and EVGA NVTV cards. This combination provides simple DVR capability that rivals my TiVo for simplicity and ease-of-use.

When I get a Media Center remote, I can retire my stereo rack components (CD player, TiVo, DVD player) and just use a MCE computer with my 5.1 amp & speakers as a total AV solution.

Q
10-30-05, 01:52 PM
I agree that the NVTV cards are great...as long as you have Media Center. The cards are barely supported by any 3rd party apps and I didn't think they came with ANY software. (Please correct me if I'm wrong on that)

I really wanted to pick one of those up a few months after they came out, but it seemed that they never picked up the steam that other TV cards pick up.

ricercar
10-30-05, 02:38 PM
NVTV cards are great [with] Media Center ... I didn't think they came with ANY software. (Please correct me if I'm wrong on that)The only software bundled with NVTV was a NVIDIA "DVD decoder," but it appears to be required also for plain TV watching.

Other than the decoder, all PVR, TV, and AM/FM radio capability comes from the MCE OS; this is likely why there's no bundled software. EVGA doesn't need to bundle any software if they claim support only for MCE.

j0j081
10-31-05, 03:07 PM
The card in my sig works great especially with Snapstream's BeyondTV. I'm still waiting for x64 support though.