PDA

View Full Version : GAMING on HDTV is GREAT!!

Pages : [1] 2 3

FearMeAll
10-30-05, 09:18 AM
I've had my rig set up this way for almost a year now and I love it! I've also learned enough about how to tweak pretty much any game to run widescreen and it also helps that nvidia's drivers in this area have been superb(and they get better with each release as well). I have to compensate for overscan so even though the screen is running 720p I have to run the gamez at 1176x664, an odd resolution for sure, but it looks great. To me the colors are way more vibrant than all the expensive monitors I've hooked up to. My hdtv is hooked via a very very nice DVI to HDMI cable so it looks the best it can. I sit at a desk like normal with a 19" lcd screen as a secondary monitor(for web, etc..)
I played call of duty II on an xbox360 recently and I have played the version for the pc and the only thing I notice is that my pc is sharper because the textures seem to have better anistropic filtering(couldn't see it on xbox360version) My framerate is rock solid with 4x FSAA aniso cranked in driectx9 mode because lets face it, a 6800ultra slaps the low rez(by our standards) of 1176x664 around.
Fear also plays great but I simply don't have enough ram. However if I turn off antialising it runs like butter and still looks absolutely great on this tv. The ailasing is already difficult to notice with FSAA off anyway. A ram upgrade will make everything silky smooth I'm sure.
Emulation is also another reason it is great to have an HDTV hookup. Ever wanted to play Super Mario Brothers 3 in progessive scan? lol. But graphical enhancements found in emulators and a big screen makes you want to replay the classics all over again.
I still have more setup to do..the speakers need to be mounted on the ceiling and the tv is in desperate need of a stand. I have couches set up in the room as well for friends as this is what this room is dedicated to. It is way better when you want to show your buddies a great new pc game and nobody has to huddle around a little monitor,..and yes 21" monitors are little when you have more than 1 person over.
I'm wondering if more people are moving to this kind of setup. One of my good friends came over and saw what I did and set up a room of his the exact same way with a 52"hdtv. You do have a lot of tweaking you have to do and a secondary monitor is absolutely necessary for web viewing to ease strain on the eyes. Even with the best cables it will still be hard to read fine text from web sites and it is NOT worth the eye strain. That's why my hdtv stays completely blank with a black background until a game fires up. If you want wallpaper and more dual monitor options get ultramon( I love that program)

I do plan on getting an xbox360 but in all honesty the only controls I want to use in an FPS is a mouse and keyboard. Personally for me only a game like FEAR would completely suck with a gamepad.

So how many folks on NVNEWS do their pc gaming on hdtv? More people must be doing it because nvidia's drivers keep giving more and more support for it.:afro:

Rakeesh
10-30-05, 09:27 AM
The thing that sucks is I just found that most nvidia cards can't do 1080i or 1080p with a digital connection.

FearMeAll
10-30-05, 09:33 AM
The thing that sucks is I just found that most nvidia cards can't do 1080i or 1080p with a digital connection.
that's odd I can get 1080i no problem...it's just that I find the games look better at 720p. It's some other odd resolution to eliminate overscan but the drivers picked up on it no problem.
---just to confirm I just ran ocarina of time at 1920 x 1080 and it looked great.

Rakeesh
10-30-05, 09:41 AM
Hmmm...on a DVI port?

FearMeAll
10-30-05, 09:43 AM
Hmmm...on a DVI port?
DVI from my card to HDMI..you think this has something to do with it?
My buddy who hooked up his hdtv can get 1080i as well through a standard pc dvi cable but he is using an x800xtpe. I tested it all because I helped him set it up.
My 6800GT was from the very first batch of GTs as well. I got it from BFG like a week after launch for $350...they had some crazy deal I got lucky on.

OWA
10-30-05, 10:34 AM
I'm envious. That's got to be awesome playing on such a large screen.

FearMeAll
10-30-05, 10:56 AM
I'm envious. That's got to be awesome playing on such a large screen.
well with 2 amazing rigs like what you have in your sig it ought to fit in the budget..and looking at your specs running at the resolutions I'm talking about you won't have to upgrade for over 2 years lol..
The best HDTVs for this kind of set up are the big heavy crt like hdtvs. They are way way way cheaper quality versus price ratio. LCD projection TV's cost waay too much for me to consider even though I got the money..it's a waste to me.. Also they burn in more than CRT. DLP is a good option because it's the hardest to burn in but they cost just as much and you have to do maintenance and all that crap that sucks. And plasma is the biggest waste of money anyone can every spend as most of them run at way lower than standard hdtv resolutions and turn into paperweights in 5 years.
A good high quality CRT like HDTV will look great and cost much less and probably last as long as your grandma's TV from 1975. hell my 65" HDTV in my living room cost me like $1800 after taxes and shipping. (Picture is breathtaking BTW) Double that price and you can buy the same size TV with the other techs.

sirplayalot
10-30-05, 11:05 AM
:eek:

Link to TV? ;)

$n][pErMan
10-30-05, 11:13 AM
Thats why im saving up for a flatpanel widescreen TV :D Id hook this up to my 64in TV right now.... but other people use that and I dont want to have to wait to play a game or make people wait while I play :p

Toss3
10-30-05, 11:39 AM
I do plan on getting an xbox360 but in all honesty the only controls I want to use in an FPS is a mouse and keyboard. Personally for me only a game like FEAR would completely suck with a gamepad.
I believe that someone will release a device that will enable you to play fps games on your xbox360 with a keyboard and mouse! A device like this was already developed for the xbox so why wouldn't they do the same for the xbox360? :rolleyes:

jAkUp
10-30-05, 11:59 AM
Holy crap thats ****ing awesome!

FearMeAll
10-30-05, 12:05 PM
I believe that someone will release a device that will enable you to play fps games on your xbox360 with a keyboard and mouse! A device like this was already developed for the xbox so why wouldn't they do the same for the xbox360? :rolleyes:
hey that would make it great! I didn't know that was already for the xbox. I never played one before..just ps2 and gamecube.

FearMeAll
10-30-05, 12:11 PM
:eek:

Link to TV? ;)
http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-KP_46WT520 <----here you go.

FearMeAll
10-30-05, 12:13 PM
Holy crap thats ****ing awesome!
that means a lot coming from you. I read a lot of your posts and know how much you like gaming rigs. :cool:

Ninja Prime
10-30-05, 12:52 PM
I need to get myself a new HDTV now. I used to play games in 800x600 on a normal tv through S-video, and I thought it looked great, and was worth it just for the immersion of the 32" screen. The best was playing AvP (the original) on it in the dark, that was awesome.

GamerGuyX
10-30-05, 02:44 PM
lol this thread is happily reminding me that my Sony KD-34XBR960 HDTV is shipping from Crutchfield to my house right now. :D

Yes I'm bragging. :cool: :p

DJMONDY
10-30-05, 04:03 PM
Ive been playing my pc through my 32" hdtv for the last couple of weeks now and i love it too :)

Ive had a few problems along the way like cables and res but its all coming togeather slowly.

The main thing was trying to do custom resolutions through nvidia control panel which ive been told i cant do the screens highest res @ 1366-768 through dvi which i was gutted about but i dont know much about it all at the moment to try any tweaks or overides.

If you have any tips please let me know :D

Also do you set in the control panel treat digital display as hdtv?? i tried it and it looked weird?

:thumbsup:

FearMeAll
10-30-05, 04:11 PM
Ive been playing my pc through my 32" hdtv for the last couple of weeks now and i love it too :)

Ive had a few problems along the way like cables and res but its all coming togeather slowly.

The main thing was trying to do custom resolutions through nvidia control panel which ive been told i cant do the screens highest res @ 1366-768 through dvi which i was gutted about but i dont know much about it all at the moment to try any tweaks or overides.

If you have any tips please let me know :D

Also do you set in the control panel see tv as hdtv?? i tried it and it looked weird?

:thumbsup:

I think my drivers see it as a flat panel monitor, then it gives hdtv options too.. It adjusted the resolution to 1176x664 and that is the best rez. I find that the resolutions supported on the TV if run will cause terrible overscan. You have to play with it quite a bit to find the best resolution that has no overscan and runs in progressive mode. Everybody's TV is gonna have a different resolution. But yeah you have to play with it quite a while and get the latest drivers. But once you know what rez to work with your TV your golden.
You've got a little while longer to pick up the ins and outs.

sirplayalot
10-30-05, 09:36 PM
This may sound like a n00b question, but, Ive never owned an LCD HDTV in my life! Are there ghosting issues present on these types of TV's? (gaming, regular TV, DVD's and such)

Thanks!

Tygerwoody
10-31-05, 11:33 AM
I think my drivers see it as a flat panel monitor, then it gives hdtv options too.. It adjusted the resolution to 1176x664 and that is the best rez. I find that the resolutions supported on the TV if run will cause terrible overscan. You have to play with it quite a bit to find the best resolution that has no overscan and runs in progressive mode. Everybody's TV is gonna have a different resolution. But yeah you have to play with it quite a while and get the latest drivers. But once you know what rez to work with your TV your golden.
You've got a little while longer to pick up the ins and outs.
I have a 57" Hitachi HDTV which i believe is basically the same TV as you have(Hitachi makes the parts for Sony RPTVs and i think your tv may be a little smaller in size... but same parts basically). I too had to run at 1176x664. Its an odd resolution, but hey... it looks good :cool:

Veger
10-31-05, 12:48 PM
This is how to do it:

92" 16:9 Fixed Frame 1280x720p Projector

http://img133.imageshack.us/my.php?image=10001502ww.jpg
http://img133.imageshack.us/my.php?image=10001456jf.jpg
http://img133.imageshack.us/my.php?image=10001548zl.jpg
http://img133.imageshack.us/my.php?image=10001410rj.jpg

gmontem
10-31-05, 01:17 PM
This is how to do it:

Large 16:9 setups no longer impress me. Now a setup using a scoped screen and an anamorphic lens....

OWA
10-31-05, 01:34 PM
This is how to do it:

Nice. :) From the pics, it looks like you need to keep it pretty dark. Is that true?

Veger
10-31-05, 01:40 PM
Not trying to impress you at all. But right now this how to do it right if you have the room for it imo.

It looks so awesome with xbox, gamecube, ps2 and soon xbox 360.

"Where there is one, there is unity, Where there is two there is difference, Where there are more than three there is chaos"

Veger
10-31-05, 01:41 PM
Nice. :) From the pics, it looks like you need to keep it pretty dark. Is that true?

Thanks OWA,

No not at all. I play in the daytime and at nighttime no problem. Works very well and it looks sweet. I also convert all my sources from straight component to VGA which gives the image quality an even higher image quality.