PDA

View Full Version : is antifreezeconductive?

bugmage
10-30-05, 10:58 AM
yes or no?

toxikneedle
10-30-05, 11:43 AM
Distilled water is not conductive but whenever you add any type of coolant to it, it becomes conductive. There are special types of coolants that aren't conductive. Other than those I believe everything else is conductive. I don't think you can just use water because of algae

bugmage
10-30-05, 11:55 AM
well im using non conductive stuff right now but its got growth so i need a bioligical killing addiitive thats not conductive

deimos47ca
10-31-05, 04:21 AM
stick in the two probes of multimeter and read the resistance. Ifs its less than infinity.. than its conductive.

Personally, I would strongly caution against this and damaging hardware, or even electrocuting yourself.

Killermiles
10-31-05, 04:26 AM
problem with antifreeze is that it contains alchohol, most water cooling system manufacturers warn against using collants with alchohol in their products, not sure why, it shouldnt be corrosive, also it will evaporate off quicker than water as well.

ViN86
10-31-05, 09:10 AM
problem with antifreeze is that it contains alchohol, most water cooling system manufacturers warn against using collants with alchohol in their products, not sure why, it shouldnt be corrosive, also it will evaporate off quicker than water as well.
arent most alchohols flammable? at least ethyl alchohol (ethanol) is in higher concentrations.

CaptNKILL
10-31-05, 09:15 AM
Yeah, alcohol is very flammable. Not that there should be any flames in your computer, but hell, if your PSU blows due to a power surge, the last thing you want coursing through your system is something flammable. Anyone ever tried cooling their system with gasoline? :D

mx125race
10-31-05, 10:41 AM
nah i haven't tried gasoline, but I'm looking forward to it. Once i take a couple of the imporant parts out, im running gas through it lighting a match in the pump

:eek:

CaptNKILL
10-31-05, 11:16 AM
nah i haven't tried gasoline, but I'm looking forward to it. Once i take a couple of the imporant parts out, im running gas through it lighting a match in the pump

:eek:
hahaha... hope you dont need your skin, because I guarantee itl be gone if you attempt that :D

wheeljack12
10-31-05, 04:26 PM
dude, what growth are you talking about? I am getting Mamovaka deja vu here.