PDA

View Full Version : Review of some Gigabyte board

AshG
01-04-03, 02:18 AM
Worst. Review. Ever. (http://www.oxelosund.com/rbmods/Articles/Giga7vaxp/1.php)

Cute board, that's all I can say. Can't glean much performance information. Who knew colors would be in?

nin_fragile14
01-04-03, 02:28 AM
Wow, what a review :rolleyes:

The Baron
01-04-03, 02:39 AM
Thank you Gigabyte for making this review possible

Gigabyte, you jackasses. You could at least send me the board so I could not make you look like UTTER idiots... :p

LORD-eX-Bu
01-04-03, 04:06 AM
thats why I am sitting on some of my very own reviews, kinda afraid to put em' up till I polish em' some more :D

bigman
01-04-03, 10:51 AM
Im sorry i cant make everyone happy

But plz if you dont like my review just keep it to yourself i think its rude to spread crap about other sites because you are jealous i got the motherboard...

In the future plz keep it to yourself... its common sense

AshG
01-04-03, 01:06 PM
Common sense? Keep it to yourself? People deserve to know what they're getting into. And feedback is one of the only ways that things can be improved. I'd go into philosophy of published content, but I'm afraid it would fall on deaf ears. But, just in case you'd actually like to find out how to make things scientifically legitimate, here goes:

Use more than one benchmark program.
For a motherboard review, especially where comparisons are involved, multiple benchmark programs are a must. PCMark2002, 3DMark200x, and SiSoft SANDRA are the bare minimums that should be used in evaluating a motherboard. I'll add a whole list of utilities to this thread at some point.

Explain the benchmarks!
So many benchmark programs have two score sets that explaining what is going on is a must. For example, PCMark has an entire benchmark listing that at least validates the arbitrary score given in the main screen. It's of vital importance to explore a motherboard's specific strengths and weaknesses, especially when comparing it to another motherboard! People don't care that one randomly generated number is higher than another, people interested in purchasing a board need solid evidence that a board is a total performer and not lacking in any area.

Check your facts
Page two, your comment about having room for a waterblock is inexcusable. The motherboard does not even have any mounting holes for water blocks or extended size coolers! Research is a must when doing reviews; I don't even start a review until I've read every published review out and find new information to cover.

I'm too tired to think of anything else at this point. I don't even know why I bothered.

And one last thing - no one is jealous that you got the board. We're just upset to see Gigabyte so woefully misrepresented. Manufacturers and sponsors make investments into sites. What kind of returns do they deserve?

The Baron
01-04-03, 02:48 PM
Your graphs are terrible as well... Maybe you're just incompetent with Excel (that's my guess) or unbelievably lazy, but helpful hint--don't make a difference of 180 points in a benchmark where you have scores of 4600 or so make the bigger one look THREE TIMES BIGGER! See, that makes you look like a crack***** to the good people at Gigabyte who helpfully sent you a board.

Here the Soyo board had only a DMA 100 disk and the Gigabyte has a new DMA133 disk so this is not the actual results.

I don't even need to say anything.

Kids, I think this is what happens when a company sends a motherboard to someone who doesn't know the meaning of "spell check."

Ash, you know you could ALWAYS send ME some hardware... :p

LORD-eX-Bu
01-04-03, 03:33 PM
come on guys, sure the guy could have done alot better, but lets not flame him.;)

The Baron
01-04-03, 03:37 PM
"Let ye who is without sin cast the first stone."

Well.. Ash was first, so we're peachy. ;)

LORD-eX-Bu
01-04-03, 04:14 PM
fine with me, flame on.:firedevil

AshG
01-04-03, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by =SSC=The Baron
"Let ye who is without sin cast the first stone."

Well.. Ash was first, so we're peachy. ;)

Are you kidding? You haven't read most of my stuff then!

My first review ever (http://www.envynews.com/review.php?ID=329) was a complete disaster. The writing was horrendous, I had an insatiable lust for comma use, and I made the mistake of combining two reviews into one. All in all, not good work at all.

My latest reviews have been reading like radio construction manuals. My Seagate Barracuda V (http://www.envynews.com/review.php?ID=310) review is eight pages of thick, monotonous prose and long-winded graphs that you either have to be an enthusiast, geek, or just really darn bored to even begin to enjoy.

Heh - my stuff sucks, and I'll be the first to admit it.

The Baron
01-04-03, 04:52 PM
Hey, I like graphs :p

But at least you didn't sit there and continuously kiss Seagate's ass. . . The OCZ one isn't as bad as you say, either. Sure, the comma usage is INSANE , but it ain't that bad of a review.

Matthyahuw
01-04-03, 07:56 PM
mmmmmmmmmm commas

I write reviews like I'm speaking, and if I pause, I put in, yes, a comma, yessiree!

Thank God Ash and Neil are around to edit my Krap!
And Neil put in a whole page in my first review! LOL

http://www.envynews.com/review.php?ID=166

StealthHawk
01-04-03, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by =SSC=The Baron
Your graphs are terrible as well... Maybe you're just incompetent with Excel (that's my guess) or unbelievably lazy, but helpful hint--don't make a difference of 180 points in a benchmark where you have scores of 4600 or so make the bigger one look THREE TIMES BIGGER! See, that makes you look like a crack***** to the good people at Gigabyte who helpfully sent you a board.

yes, i love how differences of less than 10% are shown as 2x-3x advantages in the graphs, and where the actual results are about a 2x difference the graph shows less of a difference :p

AshG
01-05-03, 10:41 PM
Well, it's a new site; they live, they learn. I will applaud them on something, and that's the quality of translation. For being a scandanavian site, the English is well done. Kudos!