PDA

View Full Version : Quality Speakers?

Pages : [1] 2

Absolution
10-30-05, 08:39 PM
Just have a couple of simple questions.

Which is the best cord as far as quality goes? Digital?

What is the difference between SPDIF (spelling?), optical, and optical compared to digital out (if its even sound)?

Im assuming analog is the worst quality for sound...

I think i may pick up a some logtitech z-5500 speakers for my birthday.

LTech221
10-30-05, 09:55 PM
No analog does not mean worse. Seeing you hve an A2ZS, if you hookup the z5500's via SPDIF output all you will get is stereo in gaming. You have to use the analog 5.1 outputs to get 5.1 in games. The Digital output will work with DVD's fine as they are already encoded with DD or DTS 5.1 signals. But as for speakers systems, I would recommend the Gigaworks or the Klipsch Promedia Ultras for multi channel sound.

einstein_314
10-30-05, 10:46 PM
I've got the Z-5300's (not 5300e's) and I love them. I don't think I would be able to tell the difference between digital and analog. They sound amazing. And the 5500's are even better.

As for the differences between spdif and optical, there isn't one. They are the same. And optical is digital out.

CaptNKILL
10-30-05, 11:02 PM
The 5500s are amazing. I use the analog connections with the integrated ALC850 sound on my board and it sounds great to me. Id like a better soundcard eventually (maybe an x-fi) but these speakers probably sound amazing with any setup.

Absolution
10-30-05, 11:03 PM
so the way to connect the speakers is irrelevant?

whats all this about dolby digital encoding/decoding..?
what actually uses it other then dvd's?

LTech221
10-30-05, 11:13 PM
IF your soundcard has an encoding feature like the NForce Soundstorm Dolby Digital Encoder, it means - you just hook your z5500's (Assuming u ge them) to the Soundstorms optical or Coaxial output. The onboard decoder of the 5500 will decode a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal and send it to all 5 speakers. Something like a Soundstorm capable board will provide full DD-5.1 sound if you have it on digital ouput mode in all applications, games, movies (not dvd more like divx or mpg) and sometimes music (not sure mine kept switching between stereo and 5.1 with different drivers for music).

netviper13
10-30-05, 11:18 PM
so the way to connect the speakers is irrelevant?

whats all this about dolby digital encoding/decoding..?
what actually uses it other then dvd's?

Well I wouldn't say the way to connect them is irrelevant. An analogue connection will suffer from some loss in quality, particularly over long distances, compared to something like an optical connection.

But there is something very misleading about "digital" connections - eventually the sound has to be converted to an analogue signal. And honestly the DAC (chip that converts digital to analogue) on something like an Audigy 2 is probably as good as or better than the DAC you'll find on most "digital" computer speakers. If you're connecting your computer to a high-quality home theater receiver, though, it will likely have a better DAC than whatever sound card is in your computer.

Absolution
10-30-05, 11:40 PM
Alright, thanks for answering all my questions.

Only one more left...

Will the speakers actually be 5.1 surround sound, as in, actually 5 ways of direction instead of just left/right as far as games are concerned?

Amuro
10-31-05, 12:01 AM
Yeah, you get 3D positional audio when playing games that supports EAX.

Q
10-31-05, 12:07 AM
Just get the the uber-expensive Gigaworks 750 and piss off all of your neighbors with it's overbearing subwoofer and 7 satelites.

I own a set and I can tell you one thing...when the nieghbors in my dorm start getting loud with thier little systems thier drunken parties, it only takes a few short pounding minutes to stop them.

CaptNKILL
10-31-05, 01:16 AM
Just get the the uber-expensive Gigaworks 750 and piss off all of your neighbors with it's overbearing subwoofer and 7 satelites.

I own a set and I can tell you one thing...when the nieghbors in my dorm start getting loud with thier little systems thier drunken parties, it only takes a few short pounding minutes to stop them.
Yeah its insane... I've heard a few home theater systems (nothing super high end) and nothing even comes close to the thump that the 10" 188W sub my Logitech system puts out. PC speakers may not always appeal to the extremely picky audiophile types but man, we love our bass so thats what they give us god dammit :D

I have yet to really test the full potential of this sub... but I think the best part about the system is how well it all works together. I've used many speakers in my room (none very good) and they all hurt my ears, these logitechs I can crank up as high as I feel like I should and it doesnt hurt my ears, I never even knew it was possible to listen to things so loud and not have that irritating cracking sound\feeling in my ears.

If the Gigaworks were cheaper I probably would have gone with those, but I got these on an awesome deal and the extra connections are a huge plus if I ever get any other devices I want to hook up.

nrdstrm
10-31-05, 04:07 AM
I want new speakers so bad...I need mine to go out or something...I have the Logitech Z560's (400W RMS THX Cert)...but I'll be damned if a month after I bought them, the 680's came out...and now the 5500s...We have them set up at work and they kick ass...Only thing I've heard better is my uncles Bose Acoustimas system...
Rob

antecs2
10-31-05, 06:40 AM
i have klipsch ultra 5.1 price around $350.look for deals,coupons.all i can say is sound is clear no matter what volume,play games watch movies had for a year no problem.

sytaylor
10-31-05, 08:03 AM

The subwoofer on my "old" z680s drives the neighbours barmy. The thing goes nuts in video games when there are bullets flying around...

|JuiceZ|
10-31-05, 08:42 AM

heheh tell me about it. Went with the Gigaworks S700 earlier this year and never looked back. Only thing that sucks now though is that Creative no longer offers the S700-2 upgrade for full 7.1 support :(

wheeljack12
10-31-05, 04:29 PM
When I bought the gigaworks s750 the courier looks at the box and says two words "neighbour haters". Not my intention as the neighbourhood is ok, but you don't crank these up unless you want to have some glass replaced in the house.

slick
10-31-05, 05:41 PM
The logitech z-5000 series seem to be the hot ticket these days, though I find it hard to recommend anything other than Altec Lansing. They make very high quality stuff.

Rakeesh
10-31-05, 06:12 PM
Just have a couple of simple questions.

Which is the best cord as far as quality goes? Digital?

What is the difference between SPDIF (spelling?), optical, and optical compared to digital out (if its even sound)?

Im assuming analog is the worst quality for sound...

I think i may pick up a some logtitech z-5500 speakers for my birthday.

To me there is a night and day difference between digital and analog audio. Digital has higher highs, lower lows, and the surround sound is much more pronounced. In the end it depends on your hearing and your sound system.

As for the differences between spdif and optical, there isn't one. They are the same. And optical is digital out.

Well, although they both use the same protocol and same delivery method there is a slight difference. Coaxial SPDIF carries the digital signal directly. Optical TOSLINK SPDIF converts the PCM signal from electron pulse to EM optical pulse, and then back to electron pulse again. This adds a slight amount of jitter to the audio, which means optical is slightly degraded. Most people don't notice it though.

Q
10-31-05, 10:47 PM
heheh tell me about it. Went with the Gigaworks S700 earlier this year and never looked back. Only thing that sucks now though is that Creative no longer offers the S700-2 upgrade for full 7.1 support :(

I wish Creative cared just a little more... They are that close to being awesome all the time. Just a few little things could make them a hella good company, yet they seem to fail miserably on those small things on a consistant basis. :(

LTech221
11-01-05, 04:05 AM
You can always use different sattelites even better ones than what creative offers. Many use Klipsch RSX/RCX 3/4/5 sattelites in the Promedia Ultra system and it sounds better. Since creative no longer offers the extra 2 S700 sattelites, only thing similar would be the Cambridge MC100 sattelites but those cost a tad bit more than what creative offered.

Elderblaze
11-06-05, 11:40 PM
A bit off topic here, but after owning a high end PC speaker system for a few years (Klispch Promedia 5.1's) you will find yourself wanting an upgrade again. And there's simply nothing to upgrade to unless you spend 1000's of dollars on home theatre level speakers from paradigm, axiom, b&w etc. I can't play my klispch speakers as loud as I'd like as the neighbor is an old lady and she gets pissy. I think im gonna explore high end headphones soon. Somthing like Sennheiser 595's and a decent 200$ headphone amp. Hopefully this will be a real "upgrade" to my Klispch system that approaches a quality level not seen in multimedia speakers, and it solves the neighbor problems. Just food for thought..

Regards,
Mike

DCult
11-07-05, 03:52 AM
A bit off topic here, but after owning a high end PC speaker system for a few years (Klispch Promedia 5.1's) you will find yourself wanting an upgrade again. And there's simply nothing to upgrade to unless you spend 1000's of dollars on home theatre level speakers from paradigm, axiom, b&w etc. I can't play my klispch speakers as loud as I'd like as the neighbor is an old lady and she gets pissy. I think im gonna explore high end headphones soon. Somthing like Sennheiser 595's and a decent 200$ headphone amp. Hopefully this will be a real "upgrade" to my Klispch system that approaches a quality level not seen in multimedia speakers, and it solves the neighbor problems. Just food for thought..

Regards,
Mike

That is so true. I have a B&W 5-speaker setup in my livingroom (a very big one) with no subwoofer, 300 series (entry level) paired with a Yamaha RX-V795A amplifier since 1999 and there is really no comparison with the logitech Z-560's in my bedroom. The B&W's have 6,5 inches midrange and the bass is really unbelievable, even without a subwoofer. What is also true is, that you can't expect to have a high quality headset hooked in a computer speaker system, however expensive it is. I have these Yamaha YST-M100 computer speakers and the headphone jack deliver a much better signal than the z-560's. The Sennheiser HD-590 (Symphony) headphones produce so much distortion when hooked up to the Z-560's and the volume is raised that you wouldn't believe it. So, it is a good idea from you to get a headphone amplifier (or stick it in the headphone jack of a hi-fi surround amplifier).

ricercar
11-07-05, 11:58 AM
Optical TOSLINK SPDIF ... adds a slight amount of jitter to the audio, which means optical is slightly degraded. Most people don't notice it though.Hey! I was going to post this. (The sky is falling. Awolf and I finally agree on something.:o)

For stereo signals, optical jitter and latency is less pronounced. When you have 5.1 home theatre or 8-channel ADAT recordings, inter-channel timing errors are more noticable.

lamarodom007
11-07-05, 04:43 PM
I am having Z680 which is very similar to z5500. I love it. Go with logitech u wont regret/.

LTech221
11-08-05, 03:59 AM
What is also true is, that you can't expect to have a high quality headset hooked in a computer speaker system, however expensive it is. I have these Yamaha YST-M100 computer speakers and the headphone jack deliver a much better signal than the z-560's. The Sennheiser HD-590 (Symphony) headphones produce so much distortion when hooked up to the Z-560's and the volume is raised that you wouldn't believe it. So, it is a good idea from you to get a headphone amplifier (or stick it in the headphone jack of a hi-fi surround amplifier).

Thats why you get a decent/Dedicated headphone amp and hook it to the line out of your soundcard. ANd its a good idea to have a decent soundcard like an A2 for bare minimum. Something like an EMU 0404 or the 1812 would be pretty much top choices without really breaking the bank.
BTW thats a great choice on the HD595's, you don't need to amp them right away as they are low imendance phones but adding the headphone amp will always open up the sound from them. They were my initial choice but I ended up going with the 580 because I got an amp at around the same time I was looking for new Headphones.