PDA

View Full Version : "FPS" games obsolete in the far future?

Nv40
10-31-05, 01:13 AM
This is a question should not be underestimated , until you see the reasons why i think this will be true.

I have been mostly an FPS player player ,until i began to play RTS and RPG games lately. Today i still enjoy any type of game that is fun with great graphics, but fps games are looking more and more outdated in gameplay whenever i return to play them.. meh . that is mostly the SIngle player side.. because most of what you do is extremely linear ,heavily scripted or no sense shooting gallery that you dont even need to think or understand anything of what is happening to "play". :)

As technology is more advanced ,and we have more hardware power it will be very possible for developers to ad more believable content ,to add more believable battles and experiences in realtime with excelent graphics. If you notice for example the latest FPS reviews of games like Doom3,QUake4 or SeriousSAM2 ,Unreal2 and others..etc and so on.. you will notice many reviews that says that today games gameplay requirements are a lot more higher than it was in the past. So whenver a new game ships today ,that all you need to do is to shoot without thinking every thing that moves in front of you. THose games usually gets very low scores . for their linearity and simplicity. and have very little of replayability value. For example things like vehicles ,Physics and strong AI ,great interectivity are A MUST HAVE features now ,(but not in the past) and any game failing to ship with those will be compared againts games that support this out of the box. when it comes to sales and marketing Games from Top developers will have the advantage of their company name ,fans that buys anything from them no matter what. but new develovers in the industry that does not deliver a game with the minimun "standars" in gameplay and graphics set by others will have a hardtime being sucessfull with a retro gameplay title..

It shows that just like the standars for "Great" graphics change every year ,(what looks good now might look obsolete in 2 or 3 years.)
In the same way it happens with gameplay.but this might sound painfully obvious for most here. :D And while in the past no game was penalized in reviews for the Poor AI , lack of interactivity and physics , vehicles or Bots ,now all games *ARE* compared againts the "standars" set by games like HALO ,Farcry or HL2 games .

With games like S.t.a.l.k.e.r , (if ever released) ,Project Offset or many Xbox360 or PS3 games (aka MGS4,Gear of wars) , Games that will feature *hybrid gameplay* the standars in gameplay will be a lot more higher .using the best elements for example the strong story and character development of RPG's ,with the strategy and tactics or RTS games , games be bigger and bigger outdoors (not smaller) that you will be free to play and explore those worlds in the way you want ,(no more linear scripted story) ,games with very advanced AI , and physics. and RPG /RTS games with the graphics of First person shooters.

Im have been following the interviews of many of the most popular next generation titles and doesnt surprise me ,to read here and there developers saying that they are looking to support X or Y feature from RTS and RPG games. in Gear of WArs they were looking to have linked worlds (no game levels )and the ability to record your last achievements online and continue playing with those..just like it happens with mmorpg games , imagine the possiblitlies for capture and hold type of games or characters abilities that could be developed. (just like it happens in Rpgs.). Stalker an fps game that will feature real time campaing ,real time -> time :D (24 hours cycle) and where you can go anywhere and you choose your own missions , or that you can choose who are your enemies or your allies . :eek: Project Offset they developers wants a hybrid FPS/RPG game with EPIC battles with a lord of the ring style Rpg game. or how about MGS4 where the AI will try to play with you Mind games.. but also (if i remember well the character could be developed ) So you will need to really think what will be your next move.

I really think that the only reasons that most game style exist today that is (FPS/RTS and RPG) are mostly because of hardware limitations and perhaps time contraints and not because of the player "preferences" .. RTS games sacrifice graphics and full control of their characters (like FPS games have) to allow hundreds or thousands of players at the same time fighting againts each other. FPS games usually sacrifice Massive battles and complex AI and very big story/gameplay/ and strategy to allow prettier graphics in their smaller enviroments with higher level of control.

In 5-10 years when the hardware is powerfull enough , i really believe that games will be very diferent from now ,and that that could be played in either way the user wants either as RTS , FPS or RPG ,and that the first signs of this change ,the first hybrids of game gamplay will be seen in next generation PS3 or Xbox360 consoles.

A game with the graphics of next generation FPS games ,but that could be played and explored in any way you want , where the story IS at some degree "written" by you with you free will in the game , since its completely non-linear and dynamic . Where you can develop your character and enviroments , with epic battles but at the same time where you can switch between FULL CONTROL or not of your character but also with the ability to command an army too, like in RTS is what i think will be the final destiny of all games. This is more "realism in gameplay" or at least less gameplay restrictions. .and intead of FPS/RTS/RPG/ they will be called fantasy or realistic simulation games. So the classic linearity A to B style of gameplay in FPS games will be obsolete because the standars will be a lot highers in the future and the graphics and level of character control that we are seeing in RTS/RPG/MMORPH games lately are closing the gap alot with FPS titles. FPS games will alwasy exist however.. because there will be always a market for them .specially for kids with Nintendos games ,.. but with the more mature gaming community ,i think it will be a diferent story since we will have more choices to play the way you want.

jAkUp
10-31-05, 01:33 AM
F.E.A.R. did not have any vehicles. I did not see a single review knock points off for that. Why? Because the game was good. It didn't need vehicles.

FPS games now, compared to a few years ago, are basically the same, just evolved. It will continue to be so, but look at games like Painkiller, and Serious Sam. They get great reviews, yet are extremely retro. They are fun. You don't need vehicles, great A.I., etc. to make a game fun, those are just icing on the cake. If you nail the fundementals, then a game is fun.

Q
10-31-05, 01:34 AM
Damn...I thought I had long posts. :D

It sounds like your talking about more of an evolution of FPS than thier extinction, though.

Edit: DAMN YOU JACKUP. Always trying to out do me. :mad:

I'll get you one day, jAkUp...you just wait...and SEE! :firedevil

;)

Amuro
10-31-05, 01:35 AM
Space Rangers 2: Dominators. It's FPS, RPG, RTS and adventure.

nutcrackr
10-31-05, 04:08 AM
Hybrid games aren't new at all, but they are somewhat rare. Deus Ex is an example of a FPS/RPG and that was done in 2000, FPS/MMORPG done by Planetside in 2003. When combining genres the work rate increases, you have to ensure that both parts mesh together and you aren't adding useless stuff. I've always throught that hybrid games are the future for amazing gameplay experiences. I don't think we will see huge leaps above in terms of gameplay in 5 years, especially since it takes a much longer time to put together these complex gametypes and complex graphics.

PaiN
10-31-05, 06:20 AM
Nv40....how old are you and how long have you been PC gaming?
All good and valid points...but sounds to me like this thread is about you maturing as gamer. I'm 38 (been PCing since I was about 22) as good a the latest FPSs are....I definately felt "age" creeping in :) like I almost felt alittle silly(at my age) shooting away a scary aliens and other sorts of baddies. I feel a much strong draw RPGs, FPSs are a nice distration and show of all the best bell & whistles, but are just killing time between the great RPGs (read: Oblivion ;) )

Zorlag
10-31-05, 07:52 AM
I agree with NV40 on this (on some level). I'm a avid FPS player myself and lately when I play games like Q4 or FEAR it seems that gametype hasn't gotten much ahead from few years back. Graphics have gotten facelift and in some select games (FEAR, FarCry) you can see some decent AI actions. And HL2 added some physics to the mix. But I'm considering of start buying shooters only from discounts or bargain bin, value/price ratio just doesn't add up to much more than average movie. Now decent MP will of course add lots of value but developers put out half-baked MP on most games. Last games with decent multi were UT2004 and HL2 (CS:S to be exact, tho the old version has better gameplay still). I suppose BF2 is ok too, but I never liked it.

Holy Smoke
10-31-05, 10:10 AM
Not gonna happen any more than romantic comedies or action movies will become obsolete. Even though it's all become old formula to me, it's still new to those much younger than me. What you fail to take into account is that new people are constantly being introduced to gaming, and a large portion of them simply prefer linear, simplistic games.

Just like there is a market for endless James Bond movies, there's always gonna be a market for shooters.

ViN86
10-31-05, 10:28 AM
You don't need vehicles, great A.I., etc. to make a game fun, those are just icing on the cake. If you nail the fundementals, then a game is fun.
very verrry true. only difference between people is what they define as the fundamentals.

the oldschoolers are lookin for certain things while the new school players look for their own features. i think were all tryin to get that first feeling we felt when we unloaded a "shotgun/rocket launcher/whatever your first gun was in an fps" into some other guy's dome. just thinkin about that, what a great feeling. :o

grey_1
10-31-05, 10:58 AM
You do have some good points...I think especially about the 'style' e.g. linearity you mentioned. Maximum pc says the game world of Alan Wake is absolutely HUGE, and can be moved around to an extent not seen before in an fps. Personally tho..at 46 years old and still able to jump outta my seat on occasion (F.E.A.R.)...if it's fun it doesn't have to be to innovative. Some times tried and true works best;)

Mr. Hunt
10-31-05, 12:23 PM
I actually get tired of vehicles... when I get an FPS... I want to shoot crap... not drive around and crap. But sadly, it is the current trend to have vehicles... and it is killing me :(.

|MaguS|
10-31-05, 12:29 PM
Im sick of most FPS with vehicles. They all implement them as weapons basically, the player while sitting in them are usually safe and out of harms way untill the vehicle is damaged or destroyed.

I rarely play BF2 or even Socom now because players just go for vehicles, this is why I love FEAR and CS. Its more about shootouts and person vs person then turning around and seeing a bumper in your face.

The one game I thought did vehicles great was Tribes 1, They were utilities and not more powerful then any single player. The player driving them didn't also gain extra armor due to being in it...

Mr. Hunt
10-31-05, 01:09 PM
Im sick of most FPS with vehicles. They all implement them as weapons basically, the player while sitting in them are usually safe and out of harms way untill the vehicle is damaged or destroyed.

I rarely play BF2 or even Socom now because players just go for vehicles, this is why I love FEAR and CS. Its more about shootouts and person vs person then turning around and seeing a bumper in your face.

The one game I thought did vehicles great was Tribes 1, They were utilities and not more powerful then any single player. The player driving them didn't also gain extra armor due to being in it...

Yeah... I feel the same way too... well... I thought UT2k4 did vehicles pretty well, but only because I love onslaught :\. Where have all of the non-vehicle games gone? :(

DoomUK
10-31-05, 02:38 PM
I'm 38 (been PCing since I was about 22) as good a the latest FPSs are....I definately felt "age" creeping in :) like I almost felt alittle silly(at my age) shooting away a scary aliens and other sorts of baddies. I feel a much strong draw RPGs, FPSs are a nice distration and show of all the best bell & whistles, but are just killing time between the great RPGs (read: Oblivion ;) )

"Life begins at 40" ;). Easy for me to say since I'm just 23, but I believe Gamers don't grow old. My Dad used to love the original Resident Evil back in it's day - at 61.

On the subject of vehicles, I'll take the easy way out of that one and say it depends on the FPS in question. BF2 wouldn't be the same without vehicles, in fact it would be rather dull. F.E.A.R., on the other hand, would have had it's atmos' ruined if they added a vehicle mission/s in there, scripted or non-scripted. HL2's vehicular missions seemed in place, and progressed the story as necessary. Quake 4's scripted tram mission was a little tedious, thankfully though it was pretty short and sweet.

PaiN
10-31-05, 03:42 PM
"Life begins at 40" ;). Easy for me to say since I'm just 23, but I believe Gamers don't grow old. My Dad used to love the original Resident Evil back in it's day - at 61.

Don't get me wrong....noone is ever too old for gaming(hell, I spent most of my time in WoW running with a 65yo grandma from Florida, who totally kicked butt) but your tastes do change and after so many FPSers no matter what a developer does, it is still the same old / same old.

DoomUK
10-31-05, 04:28 PM
your tastes do change and after so many FPSers no matter what a developer does, it is still the same old / same old.

Of course, but I for one do love to fire up jDoom or Tenebrae Quake now and then :cool:. For me they still have more replay value than many of the half-arsed FPS's we see churned out by the month, without mentioning any names.

karkrash81
10-31-05, 06:36 PM
I think FPS will remain the way they are for a while for the basic reason that they are so simple. I play mostly FPS because I don't have to get involved with character development and RPG elements. I love the simplicity and the immediate quality that a FPS has. In fact, if there are too many buttons to press, I dislike the game even more. I couldn't get into games like Deus X and System Shock 2 because I was taken out of the game because there were just too much stuff to do.

I play the occasional RPG and strategy game but for completely different reasons.

FEAR, Jedi Knight, Quake 4, NOLF 1&2, Doom3, Far Cry, etc...all appealed to me because they offered a compelling gameplay universe that was immediately accessible and pure fun.

It's like comparing an action movie like the Terminator, to a movie like the Godfather. Both are good, but are enjoyed for completely different reasons.

Amuro
10-31-05, 08:56 PM
Seriously, do give Space Rangers 2: Dominators a try. It's a amazing game. Not out in the US yet, but is available in UK.

Nv40
10-31-05, 11:37 PM
Not gonna happen any more than romantic comedies or action movies will become obsolete. Even though it's all become old formula to me, it's still new to those much younger than me. What you fail to take into account is that new people are constantly being introduced to gaming, and a large portion of them simply prefer linear, simplistic games.

Just like there is a market for endless James Bond movies, there's always gonna be a market for shooters.

good point..
But i never told that FPs games will leave anytime soon.. there will be always new generations from behind.of course , However today generation games in consoles like nintentdo that targets kids (like super marios games) are far more complex that the games done for kids in the 70's.. with the Atary and coleco arcade machines :)

at those times FPS games wanst possible because of the limitations of the technology. they were merely 2d backgrounds with sprites.
What im saying is that legacy FPS with straight linear gameplay will be less and less seen in the harcore gaming commnity in the far future that is with consoles like PS4 or Xbox3 that targets more mature gamers .And that is because we will have the technology to-not split anymore realism "in gameplay features" between FPS and RPGS . Because the hardware limitations of today computers or consoles force developers.. to trade graphics for more realisitic gameplay or trade gameplay for better graphics. but in the future it will be possible to have both at the same time without trading graphics or gameplay features. and it will not be rare to happen like it is today ,but it will be the standar in the more experienced gaming community.

But i agree that not every game epic massive battles or vehicles..or that there will be always a market for any style of game , but when it comes to "Games of the Year" titles according to conoles and PC gaming MAgazines they will have much higher standars than todays FPS games.. in a way that they will need to support the best features from every other genre. :)

jAkUp
11-01-05, 02:20 AM
Well yes, they evolve, but it evolves over time so we hardly notice until we go back and play the old school games :D