PDA

View Full Version : Picture of PS3's Interface

Pages : [1] 2 3

AthlonXP1800
10-31-05, 03:39 PM
http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/3222/575172814d5d619d1bo4nf.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13284367@N00/57517281/

WOW!!! :eek:

Imagine you have PS3 with HDTV, you will able to...

Playing PS1, PS2 and PS3 game...
Talking to people through Instant Messenger...
Browsing Internet...
Browsing Pictures...
Chatting to people through videoconferencing...
Watching HDTV streaming and DVD...

and much more all at the same time on 1 screen. :drooling:

XBox 360 got it already slaughtered, they didnt got anything to match or beat the true power of PS3. I wonder how will Microsoft reach? I think PS3 will probably will take away share of PC market where people use PCs just to browse Internet, watch DVD, videoconferencing, Instant Messengers and playing games. How Microsoft will response it with Vista with massive memory but have much slower CPU while the PS3 simply have very small memory and Cell CPU that is incredible 40 times faster than current fastest PC?

Mudcrutch
10-31-05, 03:46 PM
You are from the UK... so you know English right?

XBox 360 got it already slaughtered

they didnt got anything to match or beat the true power of PS3

How Microsoft will response it with Vista with massive memory but have much slower CPU while the PS3 simply have very small memory and Cell CPU that is incredible 40 times faster than current fastest PC?

I mean wtf? lol.

------------

Oh and on topic... Looks cool.. Can't wait to try it out in person....

Nutty
10-31-05, 03:48 PM
XBox 360 got it already slaughtered,
You can do similar stuff on Xbox360, access the dash from within games and all sorts.

they didnt got anything to match or beat the true power of PS3.
Yes they do. 3 fully generic dual core cpu's and a more flexible gpu if what I've been told is correct.

Cell CPU that is incredible 40 times faster than current fastest PC
Might be 40 times faster at certain limited functions. Cell cpu's aren't fully generic cpu's. They're only good for a small subset of methods.

Man, your posts get more fanboyish all the time. Xbox360 is great in it's own right. Wait until they're both out before you start trashing one or the other.

evilghost
10-31-05, 03:49 PM
you are from the UK... so you know english right?

i mean wtf? lol.

------------

oh and on topic... looks cool.. cant wait to try it out in person.

Could you try using your shift key? Perhaps even apply correct capitalization for a proper noun, such as English.

And the "i mean wtf? lol." is classic. Flame the guy for typos and come back with something like that. :rolleyes:

AthlonXP1800
10-31-05, 03:51 PM
I mean wtf? lol.

Windows Vista's memory requirement are between 512Mb and 16Gb but the 512Mb version of Starter Edition are limited to run 3 applications at the same time. The PS3 seem capable to running about 6 or more applications at the same time.

Nutty
10-31-05, 03:54 PM
Whats Vista got to do with Xbox360 ?

Zelda_fan
10-31-05, 04:06 PM
move along folks. Nothing here but a fanboy rant

AthlonXP1800
10-31-05, 04:12 PM
Might be 40 times faster at certain limited functions. Cell cpu's aren't fully generic cpu's. They're only good for a small subset of methods.

If you say that Cell CPU is not fully generic CPU then I wonder is PowerPC really not fully generic CPU? However I does think the Cell is fully generic CPU because it is based (http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=10794) on PowerPC technology so why did Apple Macs run much the same applications as the PC does since it based on PowerPC and also XBox 360 have PowerPC CPU too. Nvidia and ATI GPUs can be programming as general purpose CPU when the applications is programming to do the tasks, it run much faster than the real CPU. :)

AthlonXP1800
10-31-05, 04:13 PM
Whats Vista got to do with Xbox360 ?

Vista got to do with the PC, not the XBox360. :p

Mudcrutch
10-31-05, 04:16 PM
Could you try using your shift key? Perhaps even apply correct capitalization for a proper noun, such as English.

And the "i mean wtf? lol." is classic. Flame the guy for typos and come back with something like that. :rolleyes:

LOL. I edited my post before you posted that. Also, I wasn't flaming him on TYPOS but GRAMMAR. Did you miss a few English classes?

evilchris
10-31-05, 04:19 PM
Who the hell wants 40 windows open doing all that ****? I'm buying an X360 to play games full screen. If you need all that crap open it's time to UNPLUG.

Mr. Hunt
10-31-05, 04:27 PM
I like it (besides it being jumbled up, but I assume that is just for the picture or an option :\).. I also notice Hot Shots Golf in the bottom left... but it looks like the PSP version... I guess maybe we will be able to use the PS3 and hook it to the PSP to play those games too. I also like that the interface resembles the PSP quite a bit... it has grown on me ;).

AthlonXP1800
10-31-05, 04:40 PM
Who the hell wants 40 windows open doing all that ****? I'm buying an X360 to play games full screen. If you need all that crap open it's time to UNPLUG.

Why not? PS3 can use the same way as PC does, why did people like to run 40 windows in background while play a game in full screen or in a window. I love it, that why I got dual core Athlon 64 X2! :angel:

DoomUK
10-31-05, 04:54 PM

Actually I was thinking something like that. Sorry, but for me a games console is just that: a no-bulls*** comp dedicated to running games (or DVD's*). If I want multi-tasking that's what my PC is here for.

*especially if your DVD player has just decided to kick the bucket...

Zelda_fan
10-31-05, 05:05 PM
Why not? PS3 can use the same way as PC does, why did people like to run 40 windows in background while play a game in full screen or in a window. I love it, that why I got dual core Athlon 64 X2! :angel:

If I were to buy a PS3 (and I won't becasue the XBOX360 looks like it's gonna pwn) I would buy it for the games, not for all that other BS you can do with it. That is why I have a computer thank you very much.

AthlonXP1800
10-31-05, 05:08 PM
Actually I was thinking something like that. Sorry, but for me a games console is just that: a no-bulls*** comp dedicated to running games (or DVD's*). If I want multi-tasking that's what my PC is here for.

*especially if your DVD player has just decided to kick the bucket...

Sony had been said for almost a year now that PS3 is just more than a console, it can be turn into a computer just like Commodore did with Amiga CD32 that is more than a console back in 1993, it can be expandable as a computer and has the updated OS running multi-tasking applications plus it have upgradable FMV module to watch MPEG1 movies. Amiga CD32 was really an amazing console. :)

AthlonXP1800
10-31-05, 05:23 PM
If I were to buy a PS3 (and I won't becasue the XBOX360 looks like it's gonna pwn) I would buy it for the games, not for all that other BS you can do with it. That is why I have a computer thank you very much.

Yeah and dont forget here are millions of people that dont have PCs or have PCs that have no access to Internet. People can buy PS3 to do all the things the PC and Mac can do. My sister and her children has 2 PS2 consoles and a PC but they are terrible at using the PC and they are more perfer with PS2 than the PC for games, they used the PC only for word processing and playing 10 years old games.

People with PS2 can use it as Internet browser (http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/sci_tech/newsid_3056000/3056437.stm), a man from UK created a special website for PS2 users to browse Internet.

Edge
10-31-05, 05:55 PM
Does anyone else think AthlonXP1800's posts just get more and more ridiculous with every thread he makes? I mean honestly...at least before he was stating things that were somewhat coherent...now he's like "OMG PS3 has features like Xbox 360 so it'll pwn the Xbox 360". Not to mention that "screenshot" looks like a total mockup.

And BTW, the Dreamcast could browse the internet from day 1, and the Xbox could pretty much be turned into a personal computer with a mod chip. I don't recall anyone going "I'm going to ditch my PC and switch over to Dreamcast/Xbox".

Nutty
10-31-05, 06:01 PM
If you say that Cell CPU is not fully generic CPU then I wonder is PowerPC really not fully generic CPU? However I does think the Cell is fully generic CPU because it is based (http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=10794) on PowerPC technology so why did Apple Macs run much the same applications as the PC does since it based on PowerPC and also XBox 360 have PowerPC CPU too. Nvidia and ATI GPUs can be programming as general purpose CPU when the applications is programming to do the tasks, it run much faster than the real CPU. :)

From what I've read, no its not a general purpose cpu. More like vector processors in the PS2. Very powerful but not suited to everything. Very bad at branching. I'm not totally genned up on it like, but I have the SDK and all the developer manuals at work, I'll have a read up :)

Zelda_fan
10-31-05, 06:13 PM
Yeah and dont forget here are millions of people that dont have PCs or have PCs that have no access to Internet. People can buy PS3 to do all the things the PC and Mac can do. My sister and her children has 2 PS2 consoles and a PC but they are terrible at using the PC and they are more perfer with PS2 than the PC for games, they used the PC only for word processing and playing 10 years old games.

People with PS2 can use it as Internet browser (http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/sci_tech/newsid_3056000/3056437.stm), a man from UK created a special website for PS2 users to browse Internet.

most people have a hard enoguh time surfing the internet WITH a mouse and keyboard. I bet it's be a lot harder to do if all you've got is a controller. Sounds like a GIMMICK to me.

Raje
10-31-05, 06:15 PM
This thread is hilarious. I'll give it that much. :D

EDIT: (insert my take)

Anywho, calling anything put into a gaming console "generic" is comic at best.

PS3's CELL processoring solution isn't anything like a generic CPU and neither is Xbox360's processing solution. I say solution because that's what it is: a solution to MicroSoft and SONY producing a piece of hardware that is CHEAP, looks great on paper, has enough FLOPs when looked at from this angle but NOT this angle in order to create hype around their respective platforms compared to a PC, and yet lacks what Game Developers really need right now: OOO execution, Speculation and Branch Prediction.

Xbox360 and PS3 both use the PowerPC ISA, but not like the CPUs found in Apple computers.

That being said, the Xbox360's CPU solution is more "general" than PS3's CELL because the Xbox360 has three cores that are the same and CELL has 8 elements on their CELL: one like one of the Xbox360 cores and 7 SPEs that are really something like dual-issue FPUs. This makes CELL extremely special purpose, especially when you refer to its peak performance numbers.

I'm really not sure why anyone is still buying the hype about these consoles now that developers have had time to reflect on how much harder these platforms have made their jobs. At least Microsoft is listening to developers and helping a lot with their Xbox360 developement software.

Bottom line is that both PS3 and Xbox360 will be huge improvements over PS2 and Xbox, but they really didn't need their funky CPU solutions in order to realise such improvements. They could have just aimed at using single core , more normal CPUs and the GPUs they chose. But then that's just a Graphics Card and CPU upgrade over the Xbox, right? Who wants to drop money on that when you could argue about unified architectures vs. descreet architectures, how many cores you have, how useful those cores are, how MicroSoft and SONY are pushing the industry forward with their forward-looking CPU solutions, and how many peak TERAFLOPs each of these systems have?

END EDIT

(soapbox)

jAkUp
10-31-05, 06:16 PM
I think all that extra stuff is lame to be honost, most people who buy a $400 console already have a cheap PC that can do all that stuff already... I think most people who buy a PS3 buy it for games, I wish they would just concentrate on the gaming aspect of the console...

thats my 2c ;)

And if you don't have internet access, why on earth would you have internet access with a PS3? You would still need cable or DSL.

Mr_LoL
10-31-05, 06:20 PM
XBox 360 got it already slaughtered, they didnt got anything to match or beat the true power of PS3. I wonder how will Microsoft reach? I think PS3 will probably will take away share of PC market where people use PCs just to browse Internet, watch DVD, videoconferencing, Instant Messengers and playing games. How Microsoft will response it with Vista with massive memory but have much slower CPU while the PS3 simply have very small memory and Cell CPU that is incredible 40 times faster than current fastest PC?

I'd like to ask you Athlon are you a burberry wearing chav?

GamerGuyX
10-31-05, 06:41 PM
First off, the supposed "PS3 image" is a total fake. That's just planly obvious.

Secondly, AthlonXP1800 is so full of crap (just look how he types for instance) that ANYTHING he posts should immediately set off your BS meter. This thread is one of many, many examples. I mean this guy makes posts about how he would like the PS3 to be and acts like it's fact.

Let me the first to say to AthlonXP1800:

SHUT THE HELL UP! :thumbdwn:

Zelda_fan
10-31-05, 06:45 PM
Let me the first to say to AthlonXP1800:

SHUT THE HELL UP! :thumbdwn:

(popcorn)

It's been a while since it's gotten this heated in the gaming section