PDA

View Full Version : Nano my best choice?

toxikneedle
10-31-05, 08:59 PM
I'm thinking of replacing my 2 year old 10GB ipod for something new. It is a bit too big for me now and I realized that I never used more than 3GB on it. I'm willing to spend $250.... so my question is, would the 4gb nano be my best choice?

P.S. On a side note, I hate dealing with apple, this ipod hates my PC. on my new PC it won't charge at all (for some odd reason) and I have had many times where it froze my old pc, or froze the ipod. Anyways I'm not too satisified with apple but I dunno if theres anything better for me.

ViN86
10-31-05, 11:10 PM
we sell em at my campus computer store and i have noticed that they scratch very easily and many people seem to have issues with the screens breaking/malfunctioning.

if you get a case and take care of it, im sure youd be ok

btw, its a very nice iPod. the screen is very crisp and its very small. im interested in one for the gym/running. my 15GB 3G iPod is just too big :(
its still good for day to day use though, so no iPod video for me, heh.

oh and that is a sickass rig you have, i was admiring the pictures :eek:

toxikneedle
11-01-05, 08:17 AM
Ye I heard about the screen breaking. So, I dunno.... I'm really 1 step away from never buying apple again, so I'm worried about the screen. I just keep my ipod in my pocket all day. I don't really like having a case, cuz it makes it bigger.

ViN86
11-01-05, 09:14 AM
you could go with the shuffle. just add the few songs you want, then leave it in your pocket. you dont have to worry about the screen breaking, cause there is no screen. it gets really good battery life and its cheap.

vert305
11-01-05, 09:18 AM
there has been alot of bad press that i see on the news about the NANO .. i have the mini and love it. to bad that ugly nano replaced it .. sorry i called it ugly.lol

karkrash81
11-01-05, 09:28 AM
I have a 2GB white Nano and like it very much. It does scratch rather easily but I put a simple PDA screen protector of the screen (cut and trimmed of course).

I didn't normalize my tracks before bringing them over so I'm constantly changing volume while using it. The sound check feature on the Nano doesn't seem to help much...guess I will have to go normalize my tracks.

I guess it would depend on your needs.

Is this going to be an mp3 player for the gym? for the car? for school?

I use mine for the gym. Otherwise I use my cell phone for music in my car and my zen micro everywhere else.

toxikneedle
11-01-05, 11:17 AM
Well, thing is.... I kinda think the shuffle is ugly. I also kinda want a screen, but not for any specific reason... just cuz it would look better I guess :\.

As far as usage, this is for school. I commute to the city everyday, so it's an hour there and back. Then during my breaks I like to listen to my ipod while doing HW or reading stuff. So like I said, it is going to be in my pocket the whole day.

I just freaking wish ipods had some decent competition, all the creatives and stuff are so ugly and bolky compared to ipods. That's why I'm scared to get the Nano, my ipod had tons of positive reviews and I still had problems with using it on my PC. If nano is already giving people problems... I dunno if I wanna take the risk.

karkrash81
11-01-05, 11:52 AM
My creative Zen Micro is a pretty small device. Completely invisible in pockets (unless of course you wear tight pants, but that's another issue)...

The feature set of my zen micro is pretty good...no color screen, but has fm radio, voice recorder, wma support, removable battery.

The nano is undeniable cool looking when you see it in person.

toxikneedle
11-01-05, 12:12 PM
l I think im gonna get the nano with some kind of a protective skin for it, but probably a little later in the month or maybe closer to my bday (dec 2nd).

On another note, how much do you think I can sell my old ipod for. It's 1 and a half years old and it its a bit scratched up. I forgot which gen exactly it is, but this is what it looks like:
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00009P8WE.02._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Slyder
11-02-05, 12:52 AM
Nothing beats the Creative Zen Micro imho. :)

MUYA
11-02-05, 02:23 AM
The jack on my Micro has issues at least with me. It went wonky on me after I wrapped my headphones tight with the headphones still on the jack. I have to orient the headphone jack to get full sound these days :(

karkrash81
11-02-05, 05:59 AM
my sister's zen micro did the same thing and creative replaced it for her.

MUYA
11-21-05, 11:29 PM
They replaced mine too! :D And gave replaced my remote and gave me an extra battery. I guess iPOD is really hurting their sales so they are being extra nice in CS :)

WLanMan
11-22-05, 05:43 PM
Are any of the mp3 playing cellphones (Motorola ROKR?) any good?

When will they combine Ipod, GPS, wifi/cell phone and PDA into one anyway... and make it small... (preferrably inserted subdermally behind the ear with a neural link). I guess for now I'll need to tape a ROKR to a Garmin IQue.

Slyder
11-23-05, 01:08 AM

Same here... Creative replaced mine within a week of the headphone jack buggering up. :)

To bad the headphone jack problem is well known on the first edition of Zen Micro's, but the one they sent is SE. :D

Sazar
11-23-05, 01:22 AM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009Q4U7Y/104-5651753-2051142?v=glance&n=172282&%5Fencoding=UTF8&colid=CX3HADEWV9MN&coliid=I2CB8N0I87YVG&v=glance

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B0009Q4U7Y.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This is what I am getting.

Good reviews and it will match my soon to arrive nikon s3 :cool:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000B8Y08E.01.PT01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

ViN86
11-23-05, 10:37 AM
l I think im gonna get the nano with some kind of a protective skin for it, but probably a little later in the month or maybe closer to my bday (dec 2nd).

On another note, how much do you think I can sell my old ipod for. It's 1 and a half years old and it its a bit scratched up. I forgot which gen exactly it is, but this is what it looks like:
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00009P8WE.02._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
thats a third generation, i have one, i love it.

anyways, you should be able to get at least $150, depending on how good of shape its in. they make scratch removal kits for white ipods. id check one of those out. it wont take the scratches out of the metal side, but it will fix the screen up nicely.

Ninjaman09
11-23-05, 11:08 AM
I have a Nano and I love it. The screen does scratch very easily but it's merely superficial, it seems to function fine otherwise.

jass
11-24-05, 04:37 AM
To bad the headphone jack problem is well known on the first edition of Zen Micro's, but the one they sent is SE. :D

I got mine a few months ago and it shows no probs. I have seen somewhere they stated problem was with the initial batch sold around and after Xmas last year, but since then they must have improved things. What do you think of the Photo Version? It got very good rating at cnet, apparently it is even a tad smaller then original Micro but comes with 8GB. Not bad

toxikneedle
11-24-05, 01:40 PM
Well my bday is next friday, so I'm prolly gettin the nano. I'm gonna also get somekind of a skin for the nano so its protected. Most of em come with a screen protector aswell so I don't have to worry about scratches.