PDA

View Full Version : How to properly choose a suitable UPS

Acid Rain
10-31-05, 09:53 PM
I am about to buy a UPS, but haven't the foggiest clue what it takes to get a decent one that doesn't cost two arms and five legs.

What matters with these? I was assuming that wattage is the determining factor. I don't care at all about no power run-time, just component protection.

So, does one just take the power supply and monitor power draw and get a UPS which delivers enough wattage for these components or what? I am pretty confused, as I've been seeing things like "Enough power for a high end machine and a large monitor" yet the UPS in question is only rated at 350 watts.

I'm a total n00b here, but I'm sure some of you know what's up. I want a UPS that delivers enough and then some for the machine in the sig. The LCD I have only sucks about 50 watts. Thanks!

jAkUp
10-31-05, 10:45 PM
Basically, but remember your powersupply probably isn't being used to the full extent all the time.

Anyways, go APC, and make sure to get one that has voltage regulation, or power conditioning.

Here is a good place to start www.apc.com

I have a belkin right now, but I cannot even use it because it doesn't have enough juice for my system. I payed close to $100 for it.

Riptide
10-31-05, 11:59 PM
I have an APC Back UPS Pro 650 for sale.

PM me if you are interested. I think I'm asking a reasonable price. $80 + ship.

Acid Rain
11-01-05, 09:03 AM
Thanks, jAkUp, Riptide...

I wanted it immediately, so I got one today at Best Buy. Thanks for the offer, though. :)

Riptide
11-01-05, 09:09 AM
I have a belkin right now, but I cannot even use it because it doesn't have enough juice for my system. I payed close to $100 for it.jAkUp the one I have up for sale will do over 400w for 6 minutes. My "old" system with my Raptor and the X850 in there had over 14 minutes uptime during an outage with that UPS. XP will shut down automatically during an outage, btw, and it saved my machine several times around here from a nasty shutdown. Snow bringing down lines, etc..