PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know what these settings are?

ViN86
11-01-05, 12:05 AM
i have two options in my BIOS called:
S/W Over 4G Mapping
H/W Over 4G Mapping

from what i can gather, they have to do with PAE (physical address extension) in WinXP which allows for 32-bit systems to allocate 4GB of memory. i have been getting errors, and i know its not the memory, because memtest86 and windows memory run multiple times and run great.

however, it seems that when windows accesses larger amounts of memory, i get BSOD and a restart. the BIOS that came with the board didnt have either of these options, and i got BSOD all the time with SP2, as that has PAE but SP1 and before doesnt. after i upgraded BIOS once, i got the S/W option and enabled it. to my delight my system was rock stable. now, i upgraded again (for dual core) and it added the H/W option. i have been running with it on, however it says something about only E0 and above revisions of processors.

in CPUZ my rev says BH-E4, but i think this is causing errors. so i have it disabled and i will see how it runs. can someone please shine some light on what these options do? which settings i should have enabled/disabled?

-=DVS=-
11-01-05, 02:09 AM
I would like to know also , but shouldn't those settings be irrelevant as you only got 1gig of ram ?

jAkUp
11-01-05, 02:22 AM
hmmm.. I don't have those settings in my BIOS... You have the latest BIOS version right?

TierMann
11-01-05, 02:40 AM
I think those are for mapping or remapping memory over 4gb's, like you said.
It's probably the same thing as the 4gb remap option I have in my bios, only you have an option to do it through hardware or software. Mine is disabled since I only have 2gb's. And I'm not certain, but this was one of the fixes with venice and probably dual-core right (ability for more than 4 gigs)? Maybe that's why you have a hardware remapping option with the latest bios. I'm guessing if you have 1gb and it's mapped as 4 you could probably see some blue screens. Are you getting anything like read/write access violations?

Which core are you running on your A8N-SLI Deluxe board, Jakup?

ViN86
11-01-05, 10:00 AM
hmmm.. I don't have those settings in my BIOS... You have the latest BIOS version right?
yea i believe so. i just updated my BIOS about a month ago to revision 1013, which was the latest at the time. there is a new 1014 BIOS and 1015 BETA, you think i should consider upgrading?

i have a Manchester core, does that support the H/W (hardware) Over 4G Mapping? i dont think it does. however windows definitely does support S/W Over 4G Mapping, as thats what PAE is and what it does.

anyone else have these settings? if so, which do you enable and disable?

I would like to know also , but shouldn't those settings be irrelevant as you only got 1gig of ram ?
yea at first i thought the same, but when i read the description for the feature (which is very vague i might add), it says its for OS's that support PAE (the S/W or Software one does) and my BSOD's went away when i enabled it. however, they have returned with the enabling of the H/W setting.