PDA

View Full Version : Switching from INtel to AMD, Mobo Help.

Salamandar
11-01-05, 10:48 AM
Greetings all, on December I'll be going on a long trip to Egypt and there I'll be getting a new Motherboard and CPU as an upgrade from my current gear.
I was thinking, has any one had troubles with an Nforce 3 Ultra based mobo and an NVIDIA 6800 GT card?

I think I might have variety to choose from.

ABit AV8 ( VIA k8t880 pro chip)
Asus A8V Delux ( VIA k8t880 pro chip)
MSI with VIA k8t880 pro chip
MSI with Nforce3 Ultra chip
Gigabyte with Nforce 3 ultra chip.

Ohh I forgot to say that I intend to overclock the system.

Peace

Gator
11-02-05, 08:13 AM
Of those choices, I would pick the MSI Nforce3 board. And don't worry, NF3 and 6800GT work fine together.

ENU291
11-02-05, 02:58 PM
Why Nforce 3??? If you are buying something now don't limit yourself with old tech. Go Nforce 4 or R200.

Salamandar
11-02-05, 06:12 PM
Why Nforce 3??? If you are buying something now don't limit yourself with old tech. Go Nforce 4 or R200.

Nforce4 is PCI-E Only chip. I'm not gonna dump my 6800GT cause it's hell of a beast.

Richteralan
11-02-05, 06:44 PM
I'm also planning to replace my malfunctioning NF2 board.
I have a 6800GT AGP also...

I'm thinking both VIA and NF3, but both sides has(had) problems with 6800 AGP series.....
tough choice.

ENU291
11-02-05, 08:20 PM
Nforce4 is PCI-E Only chip. I'm not gonna dump my 6800GT cause it's hell of a beast.
I suggest you go with something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157081

Richteralan
11-02-05, 08:46 PM
I suggest you go with something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157081

Is this board solid?
I often hear people recommend this board,
but it uses ULi chipset and I'm in doubt ULi chipset can compare with VIA and/or NV

Can this board OC well?

ENU291
11-02-05, 09:29 PM
Is this board solid?
I often hear people recommend this board,
but it uses ULi chipset and I'm in doubt ULi chipset can compare with VIA and/or NV

Can this board OC well?
It seems like a very solid product. Check out this review at Anandtech. (http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2524)

Richteralan
11-02-05, 11:19 PM
It seems like a very solid product. Check out this review at Anandtech. (http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2524)

ya I read the review, quite good!

I'm just wonder how it compares with VIA K8T880 Pro...

Salamandar
11-03-05, 11:46 AM

First of all, I use mobos from the big dogs. Also I'm not going to buy it on-line. As I said I'm going for a long visit to Egypt and I can get ABIT,MSI,Asus and Gigabyte brands only.

ViN86
11-03-05, 04:56 PM
ULi board can definitely hack it. all the reviews ive seen it holds its own nicely.

uOpt
11-03-05, 05:04 PM
Asus A8V. Certainly no Abit.

Overclocking will kind of suck but the problem is that there are no good overclocking boards with AGP. The DFI boards and other good overclockers use the NForce 3 chipset which will not play well with your 6800 series card. So you are screwed :)

If that Uli board overclocks well that would be awesome, but since you don't seem to have regular access to new hardware you would be even more screwed if it doesn't.

Salamandar
11-03-05, 06:59 PM

Overclocking will kind of suck but the problem is that there are no good overclocking boards with AGP. The DFI boards and other good overclockers use the NForce 3 chipset which will not play well with your 6800 series card. So you are screwed :)

If that Uli board overclocks well that would be awesome, but since you don't seem to have regular access to new hardware you would be even more screwed if it doesn't.

What do you mean, most people I know wth Abit AV8 seems to reach 250 MHz so easy unlike the Asus A8V delux.
What problems are there with Nforce 3 and the 6800 cards ?

Superfly
11-04-05, 06:12 AM

what he said.

uOpt
11-04-05, 07:30 AM
What do you mean, most people I know wth Abit AV8 seems to reach 250 MHz so easy unlike the Asus A8V delux.
What problems are there with Nforce 3 and the 6800 cards ?

NF3 + 6800:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=736533#post736533

Abit decides to put their monitoring on their braindead "uGuru" chip which is not documented and won't be supported by standard software. I don't support companies that do that, there's plenty of choices without that nonsense. Abit bashing is also pretty widespread on forums.

Besides, Abit lost their top overclocking technology engineer to DFI.

Ringthane
11-04-05, 12:37 PM
I've got a 6800GT running on an Asus A8V Deluxe and it's as stable as can be. I don't overclock, so I haven't tested that, but just from personal experience (working at a computer store and building my own systems), Abit has really gone downhill. We're replaced all our Abit boards with Asus (except for one system that never gets used).

Go Asus.

holdenb
11-04-05, 01:19 PM
the asus a8v and the abit boards are both very good..........pick whichever is cheaper

Superfly
11-04-05, 01:27 PM
the ABIT boards are paper thin - seriously I returned mine as I was worried I'd snap it just by pressing the RAM modules in - doing a side by side comparison it was less than half the thickness of the A8V.

and the layout on the ABIT sucked balls.

Oldbugger
11-05-05, 02:39 PM
Have built 2 systems with the Asus A8V...a good and reliable board.....lots of extras in the pack too......In one of the systems i run a vanilla 6800 (unlocked to 16/6 and overclocked to 405 core and 860mem) and it is rock solid.

Salamandar
11-05-05, 04:39 PM
OK, the Nforce 3 is a No No, I wonder if Nvidia would fix that...I doubt.
It's a Via Chip then.
The Asus seems to have more options built into it, but it doesn't overclock...The Abit doesn't have many options and yet it overclocks.

:confused:

rohit
11-05-05, 05:32 PM
I got A8V coz theres no Abit available here.
Its rock solid for sure. and yes plenty of options etc.

If your board turns out to be bad, Getting either ASUS or Abit wont matter coz you wont be able to replace.

IMO, get ASUS its chances of being/gettin spoilt are lesser.
STay miles away from MSI. And Abit, i dunno, never seen.

Salamandar
11-05-05, 09:14 PM
I got A8V coz theres no Abit available here.
Its rock solid for sure. and yes plenty of options etc.

If your board turns out to be bad, Getting either ASUS or Abit wont matter coz you wont be able to replace.

IMO, get ASUS its chances of being/gettin spoilt are lesser.
STay miles away from MSI. And Abit, i dunno, never seen.

I've been using too many boards and the Failure rate of Asus boards is higher than Abit and even Gigabyte.
Only MSI seems to have higher failure rate than Asus.
Again I'm stating my experience with those brands.

smthmlk.
11-05-05, 10:42 PM
i would not recommend an NF3 board for use with a 6800GT or Ultra due to the widespread freezing problem someone else linked to already in this thread. If you must use AGP, go with a VIA board. The Asus A8V Deluxe rev2 or newer are good, reliable boards. Good luck!