PDA

View Full Version : GeForce FX or upgrade system?

MethralArc
01-04-03, 10:20 AM
I apologise if this is the wrong forum to post in.

I just want to know if I should upgrade my system or buy a GeforceFX.

I have:

AthlonXP 1700+ @ 1800+
768 PC2100 RAM
WinXP
Geforce4 TI4400 @ 290/620
Soltek DRV4

Bear in mind that I would rather avoid the hassle of ordering a new motherboard, processor, and etcetera as well as taking out obsolete items from computer as well as reformating the hard drive since it is a hassle. If my computer is "good enough", then I would rather just buy a GF_FX since I want "BETTER" graphics unless the GF_FX isn't REALLY better in image quality ALL that much.

Riptide
01-04-03, 10:58 AM
I'd upgrade your system if I were you... You'll get a better tangible performance increase out of that and you can always grab an FX or 9900 down the road when the prices come down...

MethralArc
01-04-03, 11:02 AM
Could you please recommend what I should upgrade to and perhaps a few links to a few deals if it is not too much trouble? Thanks in advance.

RM. Andersson
01-04-03, 11:03 AM
It depends on what games and programs you use.
A Athlon with 166MHz fsb and dual 166MHz memory is a huge improvement compared to what you have.
In games with advanced AI(racing games,flight sims and more) the new cpu,MoBo and memory would probably give you more performance for the money.
In other games that are more limited by the gfx-card the GfFx would probably be a better choice.

Regards!

MethralArc
01-04-03, 11:26 AM
But that is just it, performance is not everything. Image quality is what I crave too.

If I have a game where I average 50 FPS compared to 80 FPS but I have much better image quality I would choose the 50 FPS. If the image quality is not really much more noticeable (keep in mind I primarily just care about no aa and no af), then the 80 fps is better for me.

I want to play AA:0, Unreal 2, UT2003, Doom III, and anything that is next-gen. I am pretty sure that I have had enough of CS.

RM. Andersson
01-04-03, 11:38 AM
I guess a new gfx-card will be better for new games.
You might also need a faster cpu for those games. Not sure.
You will of course not be able to enable all effects and features in some of the next-gen games if you have a old gfx-card.

Regards!

Uttar
01-04-03, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by MethralArc
(keep in mind I primarily just care about no aa and no af)

Well, the GF4 Ti4400 should be able to run most games ( beside Doom 3, of course ) at 1280x960 with maximum ( or very near maximum ) settings.
With AA/AF, however, it'll die very rapidly. I can't quite understand how you don't see the difference made by 2X AA, but anyway, everyone's taste is different I guess :)

So I'd have to suggest upgrading your CPU/Mobo. Yeah, a 166Mhz FSB Athlon with a nForce 2 would be a good buy. And it might cost you less than a GFFX.

Uttar

MethralArc
01-04-03, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Uttar
I can't quite understand how you don't see the difference made by 2X AA, but anyway, everyone's taste is different I guess

Sorry, I meant that inital image quality without AA and AF is "MORE" important. AA and AF are not cpu-limited. My original question was whether to buy a GF_FX or cpu/motherboard/ram.

If I were to buy a new cpu/motherboard/ram and not a GF_FX, I could use the existing graphics but with better performance whereas a new GF_FX "might" spot better image quality but I really care about MAX SETTINGS image quality and AA/AF image quality settings are only secondary.

The Baron
01-04-03, 03:04 PM
how about not upgrading it until it needs to be upgraded

Sorry. It just kinda bothers me to see people overhauling their systems every 3 or 6 months... it just seems excessive. It doesn't change THAT much in that amount of time.

fishlung
01-04-03, 03:32 PM
I have almost exactly the same PC setup as you do, Methral (except I have a slightly faster CPU). Honestly, I think the PC is fast enough, but I'd really like to upgrade the GF4 so I can play without any AA/AF penalties. I mean, as it is, your PC blows away the one I use at work, for digital imaging and web graphics (gotta love companies that won't spend the needed $$ until the last straw). ;) I say you should wait to upgrade your whole system until sometime next summer? I mean, the way I see it, my PC is darn fast, and even though everyone's buying up their 2-3 GHz machines, waiting will benefit my wallet a bit more, and I'll still get good stuff in the near future anyway.

savyj
01-04-03, 10:18 PM
I'd say a new vid card if you just have to have better performance in games right now. Either a 9700Pro or a GeForce FX would give you next gen features now but at a cost (literally).

One has to decide how much one is willing to spend on a modest increase in performance. Those who just have to be on the bleeding edge are always gonna have a more expensive habbit than the mainstreamers.

Games are becoming more limited by the GPU than the CPU with each generation, IMHO. Not to say that you're not gonna have to continue to upgrade your proc every year or so, but I'd say if you could upgrade your proc/mainboard/memory once a year and your vid card twice a year vs. your vid card once a year and your proc/mainboard/memory twice a year, you're probably gonna be better off with the first option.