PDA

View Full Version : Air cooling solution

Tuork
11-01-05, 02:49 PM
It's time for another round of "Answer Tuork's never-ending questions!"!!!!

:)

Today's topic is... AIR COOLING.

I'm thinking of updatin my ol' retail heatsink+modded 90mm fan for something more efficient and QUIET.

What do you guys recommend?

Options I've heard of so far are:
- Zalman 7000-whatnot copper cooler. 90 or 120mm
- xp-90
- xp120

I've heard all of them are nice, and work pretty well. Comments? I really, REALYL want to cut down noice levels.

Cheeri-o.:D

Tr1cK
11-01-05, 02:57 PM
My solution is working pretty darn well. Stays under 50c full load on both cores.

BrianG
11-01-05, 03:13 PM
Well, for quiet air-cooling, your choice of fan has as much to do with it as your heatsink. The ones you have listed are among the most efficient CPU coolers, thereby allowing lower fan speeds. With my 90mm Panaflo fan and XP-90, I have yet gotten the Asus Q-Fan controller to increase speed from the quiet mode, not matter the load on the dual core. I have an 80mm SilenX I may try in the Panaflo's place that may drop the noise level further.

I stress, you get a cheap fan for the XP90 or 120, it won't do you any good. The SilenX fans from 3DCool, a sponsor of the forum, are suhweet. You can see the difference in fan construction in my Quiet SLI project's page 5. http://www.nvnews.net/articles/quietsli/page_5.shtml

You can't go wrong with any you listed. The Zalman is probably the best bang for the buck, but the Thermalright heatsinks are simply the best I have ever used in fit, finish and performance.

Tuork
11-01-05, 08:46 PM
I already have an 80mm and 90mm vantec stealth, so the fan wouldn't be a real issue, more so if I buy the zalman heatsink due to its included fan.

What is the real difference between the xp90 and the xp120??

BrianG
11-01-05, 09:44 PM
I already have an 80mm and 90mm vantec stealth, so the fan wouldn't be a real issue, more so if I buy the zalman heatsink due to its included fan.

What is the real difference between the xp90 and the xp120??
90mm vs. 120mm. There are plenty of reviews out there with comparison benchmarks.

Tuork
11-02-05, 10:30 AM
Ah, wonderful.
Quick question, though... can I mount a 90mm fan on the xp120? If not, what fan would you recommend? How about a Vantec Stealth?

Than you very much for your input. It's now matter of deciding whether to buy a CPU heatsink, or a nv silencer for the 6800GT. Temperature-wise I'd get more out of the heatsink, but for noise-reduction I'm guessing the nv silencer is the winner.

I need to look deeper into the origin of my noise levels before I make a decision. Will keep you updated ;)

EDIT: Where can I buy the xp90? Neweeg doesn't seem to have them, and I love newegg :D

muaddib
11-02-05, 10:39 AM
Sonic Tower w/ 3x120mm fans OR Scythe's Ninja. 'Nuff said.