PDA

View Full Version : Call of Duty 2 DirectX error

AngelGraves13
11-01-05, 10:07 PM
So if you look at my specs, you'll notice I have a good system. I have Windows XP with SP2 and just recently installed the .NET framework 2.0 along with the new drivers for my graphics card and for my cheap realtek sound card (built in). I have even installed the October redist of directx 9.0c.

This isn't the only game that doesn't work, also FEAR has terrible problems. The problems for Call of Duty 2 is that it shows a black screen for a few seconds and there is no sound and it quits and gives me a DirectX error. I've tried reinstalling it and it didn't do anything, driver defaults, profile modifications, you name it.

I installed it on my dad's computer (cheaper than mine) and I noticed the installation had background music playing, whereas on my computer it didn't. I'm now starting to think it's my soundcard. But then again, how could that affect the video? Also, maybe the .NET framework 2.0 is messing something up, I'm not even sure anymore. All I know is that this computer is not working how it should and I've already put some cash into it. Next thing to try is flashing the bios on the video card to something newer from somewhere else.

Slyder
11-02-05, 12:55 AM
Im guessing you have also installed the lastest chipset drivers for your motherboard. ?

AngelGraves13
11-02-05, 01:37 AM
yup. This has been the first system I ever put together in 10 years that has given me problems. DOOM 3 and Quake 4 run fine.

OWA
11-02-05, 01:42 AM
Have you tried running dxdiag to see what it says?

AngelGraves13
11-02-05, 02:59 AM
yes, everything checks out fine. Half-Life 2 runs fine if I force AA and AF in the NV control panel, or it won't start. And with FEAR, it'll start and the system test will run fine, but once the level loads, only the models and hud can be seen and everything else is all black and it goes a frame a secs. Sometimes, very rarely, everything works fine. I've had this problem for a while. I don't know what else to do but a vga bios flash.

AngelGraves13
11-02-05, 05:18 PM
OK, I'm building my same system for my mom's house minus the expensive video card and power supply. The motherboard is revision 2. When I was setting up my system, and connecting everything it had a small short I think when the screwdriver touched the motherboard back panel. It didn't turn on for about 5 mins, but then did and everything seemed fine. But I always had problems running things at 1600X1200. So I'm gonna do a swap and give my mom that system and keep the newer one for myself. Maybe that'll fix it. I'm also thinking of doing a bios flash for my 7800 GTX to the leadtek .68 bios. Anyone advise against it? I set the clockspeeds to what mine is at with a bios editor and the integreity checks out fine. Checksum is F9. My current checksum is F5. Also, it says 70 board instead of G70 board like it does on my current one. There's also the .25 one from BFG which has checksum F5 and says G70 board. Any advise would be great. Thanks, I hope to be playing COD2 soon.