PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or Civ 4 a buggy piece 'o crap?

Big Ev
11-01-05, 10:22 PM
I cannot for the life of me get Civ 4 running properly on my machine without crashing 15-20 minutes into the game. I am well above recommended specs (see sig) and I still get scrambled video for the intro movies and the wonder movies, and still crash after updating all my drivers (7800GTX drivers and nForce4 x16 drivers).

Maybe its because I'm on Win XP x64?

I have been to the www.civfanatics.com forums, but those people are useless over there. These forums definitely a more "intelligent" crowd when it comes to hardware/software issues.

Anyone else having trouble?

|MaguS|
11-01-05, 10:33 PM
Probably due to WinXP64, Many games have issues with the OS. Its probably due to the copy protection.

Hows the game when you get to play it? Civ3 was great untill they released the MP Addon...

Subtestube
11-01-05, 10:43 PM
Civ 4 is apparently very bugtastic at the moment. I can't play at the moment because I have an exam tomorrow, and I think it would be imprudent to install it until I don't have to study any more. Some people were able to fix errors with nVidia cards by rolling back to 76/77 series drivers - so you could give that a go. Also, one of the most significant bugs is a massive Memory leak in the late game apparently, though if you're only having problems at 15 minutes in, I doubt that's it. Also, as you have 2 gigs of Ram, it's unlikely you'd feel the memory leak for a while in any case. I assume you do actually have a page file, and haven't turned virtual memory off.

As for the movies, again a lot of people are apparently having probs with them... so, not much to recommend there except 'wait for a patch'! Sorry I can't be more helpful. Once I've actually got it installed and have played it (on Friday) I'll tell you if I'm getting similar bugs to you, but it seems unlikely being that I'm still AGP based, running an Intel system and an NV40 series card. Any errors I have will probably be caused by different things that those that someone with a system like you have will get (which, by the way, I wish I had). It could, as you say, be Win XP x64. As it has large probs under Win XP 32 on a number of systems, I wouldn't anticipate massive stability under 64.

Amuro
11-01-05, 11:38 PM
I haven't experienced anything with Civ IV. But I'm runing XP 32 though.

Big Ev
11-02-05, 01:47 AM
Subtestube, thanks for all the info.

Yeah, its a pissah. I guess I'll just keep DoD to pass the time.

Funny think about Win XP x64 is that HL2, Doom III, WC3, Dawn of War, Far Cry, BF2, and so on run great, without a single hitch.

I've personally trying to read all the error logs and trying to fix any Python bugs that I can get. Of course, this has become quite a tedious task since I didn't spend months working on the project, so I don't know all the ins and outs yet.

pingu2
11-02-05, 02:16 AM
runs fine for me! 7800gtx 4400x2 2GB - but using 32 bit windows - im using driver 81.85.. I have to say the wonder movies are not smooth always for me but they do play at least!

seems a lot of people have trouble running it though - hopefully there should be a patch out pretty fast!

Harnagel
11-02-05, 07:54 PM
Super buggy for me. I have a FX5950 and an Athlon64 3800+ w/ 1GB RAM. Latest WHQL drivers for my MB and graphics card.

Big Ev
11-03-05, 12:09 AM
Sigh, still no news on a patch release.

einstein_314
11-03-05, 12:47 AM
Hmm, my room mate has it on his P4 2.8, 6600GT, Latest WHQL drivers, 1GB of ram, WinXP 32 and he doesn't have any problems. Plays it for a couple of hours at a time. I'm betting on it being winx64

TierMann
11-03-05, 03:51 PM
If it IS because of XP64 then they took a step backwards.
Civ3 Conquests runs fine here. I still need to get 4.