View Full Version : Upgrade Options: Your opinions, please?

11-02-05, 03:29 AM
I'm preparing to go the pci-e route, I think.
I like the eVGA combo (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59076), but I'm not planning to go SLI so I'd probably be better off biting the bullet and going with a evga gtx instead of a gt right? ~$60 more and no mobo so I'd probably get an A8N-SLI deluxe too.

Also, what are your opinions of the refurbed A8N (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131517R) on newegg? Cuts about half the price off and I have no problems making the extra i/o connections that the retail package comes with.

That brings the whole thing to about $550.

My 6800GTOC will go in my gf's computer so no discount from selling that, heh, but maybe I can probably get $60 for this mobo. It's still going for ~$120 and I have all the retail connections and whatnot.

So around $490-500 or so doesn't sound too bad. How does that sound to you guys? Worth the upgrade from my current card, and worth it to have pci-e for later upgrades?

Another option still is to not get anything and wait to see what happens after the 512mb cards launch. I probably won't be able to get one, but maybe the other cards will drop a little.

11-02-05, 09:38 AM
if you got the money, i would just get it now, because those other cards are going to be a little pricey. the current gt's and gtx still kick as* anyways, so if you want to wait a little til after those cards come out, maybe the gtx and gt will go down a bit...maybe. wait for some other opinions, then hopefully u can decide easier. :) is the mobo manufacturer refurbished? If so, im sure it still work real good. You can get the eVGA combo, which is what i think im getting, and OC the GT some, or just pay a little more for the asus and gtx. maybe in the future ull go sli, u never no...

11-02-05, 10:28 AM
The EVGA deal is a winner. Since you're buying a new card and mobo anyway, why not take the deal? How would it run you total?

11-02-05, 05:23 PM
The EVGA deal is a winner. Since you're buying a new card and mobo anyway, why not take the deal? How would it run you total?

It's a good deal, no doubts there. :)
The problem I see with that though is even though it's an imporvement over my current card it only has 20 pipes where gtx has 24. Overall the price difference only being 50 bucks for the cards themselves it's worth it to me, but that forces me to buy a board.

Few more questions added to the list.
I can OC the gt a little I'm sure too, but for unlocking it I think that still hasn't been done, has it? Is a gt vs gtx really going to make that much difference? Has anyone tried both cards stock with FEAR, Q4 or BF2 (or any other buttkicking games) that can comment on "smoothness" between the two? Framerates are probably only slightly different between them, but that's not always the key.

The eVga deal comes out to $400 on newegg so it's ~$150 cheaper than a gtx and having to buy a board too.
I checked out neweggs FAQ's and all refurbs they have are done by the manufacturer.

11-02-05, 05:43 PM
The problem with the refurb motherboard is that the I/O shield might be missing and you'd have to ebay one.

11-02-05, 05:46 PM
I've got a few spares and I've been pretty good with the tin-snips so far. :)