PDA

View Full Version : ASUS A8V Deluxe 1015.002 BIOS Update!!

Superfly
11-02-05, 06:24 AM
Hi Guys,

ASUS have released a new BIOS for this board and I would like to upgrade to it, however the file has a .002 extension??? and I have no idea what flash utility I am supposed to use for it??

Anyone have any idea's??? surely im not supposed to rename the file that sounds WAY to dangerous to me!!

thanks.

the file is called: A8V-ASUS-Deluxe-1015.002

Superfly
11-02-05, 08:30 AM
Anyone???!!

Riptide
11-02-05, 09:14 AM
Well you probably will need to rename the file .BIN and use awdflash.exe to flash it. ASUS should have that utility and instructions on how to use it somewhere on their site.

The BIOS may also have a built-in flash utility, accessed by pressing ALT-F2 during POST.

Superfly
11-02-05, 09:21 AM
rename the file???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

urm that sounds WAY to dangerous to me, if thats the problem WTF did ASUS post a new BIOS with the wrong file extension??

I take it no one here has ever heard of .002 files either......?

Superfly
11-02-05, 09:26 AM
OK - the prevois BIOS and the version that I am using is :

A8V1014.AMI

should I rename the A8V1015.002 to A8V1015.AMI????

Riptide
11-02-05, 09:31 AM
.AMI? When you expand the downloaded zip file containing the BIOS the extension for the file is .002?

I wonder if ASUS could be more confusing about this.

Superfly
11-02-05, 09:42 AM
lol - no I doubt they could!!!!!

seriously im not going to do this until some other sucker tries it first!!!!!

Superfly
11-02-05, 09:47 AM
.AMI? When you expand the downloaded zip file containing the BIOS the extension for the file is .002?

exactly right the file is called "A8VDeluxe1015.002" the .zip file this was extracted from is the same but with a .zip extension.

weird stuff!!!! - ASUS forums are a joke which does'nt help!!

Riptide
11-02-05, 11:03 AM
Yeah ASUS forums are totally worthless.

I suggest registering at abxzone.com (formerly asusboards.com). I guarantee Sierra or one of the other guys over there can help you get this right the first time.

IMO you probably just need to rename the file to .BIN and then use awdflash to flash it. But I wouldn't do it without making sure it's the right way to go first.

You are right to be cautious here.

Superfly
11-02-05, 11:30 AM
Anyone here with the same board as me?? - can you shed any light on this??

thanks.

Superfly
11-02-05, 11:31 AM
Yeah ASUS forums are totally worthless.

I suggest registering at abxzone.com (formerly asusboards.com). I guarantee Sierra or one of the other guys over there can help you get this right the first time.

Just done that - thanks for the tip.

Superfly
11-02-05, 01:18 PM
OK - for those that are interested:

.002 is actually the last part of the BIOS version number - ie: 1015.002

It seems ASUS have not bothered putting the correct .rom file extension on the end.

anyay - if you rename the file to something like: A8V1015.rom and flash away it works just fine.

New boot screen and some new ECC mem options - also includes new CPU support.

Starscream
11-02-05, 01:38 PM
Just leave the extension as it is and it will flash just fine.

You don't ever have to change that unless you are using the bios updater built in to some boards.

Also when you actually go into the bios on your board it will say somewhere in there what type of bios it is. Be it Award, Phoenix, etc.

EDIT - and one last addendum, I don't know why you had such a problem figuring out what program to use it's on the same download page as the bios for that board, I just went and looked at asus.com out of curiosity.

Superfly
11-02-05, 01:52 PM
actually the AFUDOS.EXE Flash utility that is on ASUS's website for this board and indeed this BIOS "ONLY" works if the file extension is .ROM

Do you not think I tried flashing it with the original .002 extension.

Also the Windows based Flash Utility only works with either: .ROM or .AMI files.

You cant flash a rom chip with a file ending in .002

Zerocool
11-02-05, 08:10 PM
Check their site again, the have an official 1015 BIOS out now. That 1015.002 was beta, it that the same one.? Also their WinFlash Utility flashes .002 or whatever BIOS's, are you using the latest one?

Superfly
11-03-05, 05:52 AM
Hi - the funny thing is that both the 1015.002.zip and the A8V1015.zip files on the ASUS FTP both contain the SAME 1015.002 BETA file.

I though I was going mad but I download both .zips - extracted the contents and the files inside are INDENTICAL.

TBH I will just leave it now until they release the 1016 final.

Zerocool
11-03-05, 06:58 PM
Thats weird, but you cant update still? Did you try the latest Update Utility? Go to downloads, then Motherboards>Utility>Tools. Thats where they keep Updater and new PCProbes. Then update through file (you got the BIOS downloaded already I take it) not internet, and if you wanna downgrade the BIOS you go into the options of the updater and theres some button you check for it.

Superfly
11-04-05, 05:58 AM
thanks for the interest - I am running the 1015.02 bios but I had to rename the file to end in .rom so that the AFUDOS.EXE DOS based flash utility would read the file??!! - anyways its sorted now.

As for the Windows based flash program that does'nt work at all it says "no ASUS MoBo detected setup will close" - it DID work when I first got the board but I think something in the 1014 BIOS update broke the SMBIOS and as such the installer no longer works - check the A8V forums - LOADS of peeps with the same problem.

ttfn.

well done ASUS - im going back to Gigabyte/DFI on my next build I think.