PDA

View Full Version : Most disappointing game of the year?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Tygerwoody
11-02-05, 08:06 AM
What game did you think was the absolute worst game of the year. The game that you have been waiting the longest time for, but when it came out you would rather rub sand in your eye than play it.

Cast your votes!

Tygerwoody
11-02-05, 08:09 AM
hmmm... maybe I should have changed the second option to "All of the above". It would have been more fair.

|MaguS|
11-02-05, 08:10 AM
Well since I don't want to say FEAR was bad... I voted AOE3, It was bad but not the most disappointing, Serious Sam 2 takes that award.

muaddib
11-02-05, 08:13 AM
Most definitely Serious Sam 2.

RAY16
11-02-05, 08:15 AM
I've never seen so many poll options in my life. The large amount of choices is just totally blowing my mind.

Tygerwoody
11-02-05, 08:16 AM
I don't know what people expected in playing serious sam 2... I mean... its Serious Sam. Just good clean killing with bad acting and dumb looking monsters :p

Amuro
11-02-05, 08:28 AM
How bad is AOE 3? I'm not into non-scifi RTS games, so I wasn't looking forward to it in the first place.

Tygerwoody
11-02-05, 08:37 AM
You would rather jump in a pile of syringe needles than play it.

Amuro
11-02-05, 08:42 AM
8.8 from ign. Doesn't look bad too me. Maybe the bugs? I'm sure they'll be fixed.

Tygerwoody
11-02-05, 08:45 AM
No... not really any bugs. Its just a bad game. Lacks "fun" :thumbdwn:

karkrash81
11-02-05, 08:49 AM
Serious Sam 2

Weak sounding weapons really got to me in that game. The combat wasn't the same...it seems they would throw small groups of enemies at you over and over instead of large groups all at once...levels seemed more restrictive.

But some of the big monsters were pretty nifty. It wasn't a horrible game but highly disappointing when compared to its predecessors.

I loved the first two but this one just didn't have the magic. It looked decent graphically though.

The talking computer chick seemed like a real bad knock off of the AI lady in Halo 1/2.

zoomy942
11-02-05, 08:55 AM
tie between serious sam 2 and FEAR.

serious sam 2 - never have i had more fun than during the original playing a game. the bright, vivid colors and addicitve gameplay. that game had coop (a feature SEVERLY lacking in modern games) and even playing alone was awesome.

FEAR - i didnt want to say it, but any game that touts next gen graphics, in my opinion, should have next gen effeciency as well. back in the day, hardware was always way ahead of the software, but it seems that nowadays games use less finesse while rendering and just run terribly.

monkeydust
11-02-05, 09:02 AM
Age of Empires 3 is great. My favorite of the series so far.

Tygerwoody
11-02-05, 09:33 AM
bah... you guys are ruining my thread. :D

[BANDIT]
11-02-05, 10:33 AM
For me Quake IV is most disappointing. FEAR and SSam 2 is booooooooring. COD2 is the best form new FPS.

jAkUp
11-02-05, 10:51 AM
FEAR - i didnt want to say it, but any game that touts next gen graphics, in my opinion, should have next gen effeciency as well. back in the day, hardware was always way ahead of the software, but it seems that nowadays games use less finesse while rendering and just run terribly.

What but back in the day what resolution did you run games at? What AA/AF did you run games at?

Like I said, we are all spoiled on AA/AF, drop the game to 800x600, and turn down the AA/AF to 0x (like I used to when I played on my cutting edge voodoo2 card) And you will get framerate through the roof.

I had games that lagged at those settings on my cutting edge voodoo2 at the time. Really guys, can we expect 10x the shaders, 10x the lighting, 10x the polygon count, and 4x the resolution along with 4x the AA/AF?? Its just not reasonable to expect this from our hardware.

If anything, hardware nowadays is way ahead hardware back in the day. AA/AF and high resolutions were impossible back then.

zoomy942
11-02-05, 10:53 AM
What but back in the day what resolution did you run games at? What AA/AF did you run games at?

Like I said, we are all spoiled on AA/AF, drop the game to 800x600, and turn down the AA/AF to 0x (like I used to when I played on my cutting edge voodoo2 card) And you will get framerate through the roof.

I had games that lagged at those settings on my cutting edge voodoo2 at the time. Really guys, can we expect 10x the shaders, 10x the lighting, 10x the polygon count, and 4x the resolution along with 4x the AA/AF?? Its just not reasonable to expect this from our hardware.

If anything, hardware nowadays is way ahead hardware back in the day. AA/AF and high resolutions were impossible back then.

i totally agree with you, i do. i guess, to me i am more impressed with a game that makes me smile while i play it. most games now are more interested in new technologies than entertaining the user. i mean, i LOVE the advances that we have seen, and without deveolpers trying out new things, we would never get new AA or AF filtering or anything. but originality has been slightly down recently, and i guess i just miss being mezmerised by a game and it's ability to force me to be lost in it

Mr_LoL
11-02-05, 11:06 AM
FEAR for me. Boring game with similar clausterphobic levels. Yuk.

Zelda_fan
11-02-05, 11:12 AM
lol you must really hate AOEIII tygerwoody. It seems ok to me. Graphically a very nice RTS, and the gameplay is improved over AoEII imho.

Tygerwoody
11-02-05, 11:46 AM
lol you must really hate AOEIII tygerwoody. It seems ok to me. Graphically a very nice RTS, and the gameplay is improved over AoEII imho.
Reason being is I was so excited about it coming out. I absolutely LOVE AoEII. I also knew that AoE3 could not possibly be any better than it. I expected it not to live up to AoE2, but what I didn't expect was how BAD of a game it was. Honestly there is nothing about the gameplay that changed I can say I am happy with. :mad:

lumpyhed
11-02-05, 12:09 PM
B&w2

Zelda_fan
11-02-05, 12:18 PM
I like the fact that they got rid of resource drop off points so you don't have to piddel around with building mining sites or lumber mills. I also like hwo they got rid of farms that expire and just have mills that provide an infinite source of food. That way you can concentrate on building an army rather than maintaining an economy.

nVestor
11-02-05, 12:22 PM

I have to disagree with ya.:)

While you can invite the idea of playing the game at 800x600 w/ 0xAA/0xAF, the fact is it's an apples to oranges comparison. Back in the day we had no alternatives. Today, we do. We have the choice of running AA/AF at high levels. For that ability, we pay a premium.

If we are going to pay these high premiums, performance should be there imho.:)

Richteralan
11-02-05, 12:31 PM
I would say FEAR

Absolution
11-02-05, 12:41 PM
HL2 was very dissapointing imo

they launched it too late (imo the graphics just werent up to par with other games such as chronicles of riddick & doom3)

even with a pretty minute story line, i thought quake4 was way better then hl2(pb)