PDA

View Full Version : Screenshots are always blank/black

OWA
11-02-05, 08:04 PM
I normally use fraps but I seem to be having issues with fraps causing some games to lock. So, in Doom 3, Resurrection of Evil and Quake 4 I've been trying to use the game's screenshot option. But, all the screenshots in Doom 3 and RoE come out completely blank/black and some of the ones in Quake 4 also come out blank/black although some are fine. The size is around 5+ meg so it's not like a zero sized file or anything. I thought maybe it was my viewer but I tried another TGA version and had the same issue. Any ideas about what could be wrong or what to try next?

SH64
11-02-05, 08:26 PM
Yeah same problem here .. i thought i'm the only one.

OWA
11-02-05, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the confirmation. At least I know it's not something I've messed up.

OWA
11-03-05, 04:33 PM
Yeah same problem here .. i thought i'm the only one.
See if it works if you turn AA off. I just, by accident, discovered that if I had AA off in Quake 4, it worked. If I have AA on, I get a blank (black) screenshot. I haven't checked that with Doom 3/RoE yet though.

OWA
11-03-05, 05:22 PM
Well, that is the issue. Turning off AA works for Doom 3 also. I wonder why AA would affect the screenshots in this way.

einstein_314
11-03-05, 11:58 PM
I'm just using fraps. It works way better in Quake 4 than it did in Doom3. In doom it would pause the game for a good 2 seconds every screen shot. In quake, you can't even tell you pressed the screenshot button.

That is really weird though. I don't know why it would work without AA.

OWA
11-04-05, 12:25 AM
I was trying to use the in-game screenshot function because fraps was causing Quake 4 to lock (for me anyway). I tried it again tonight though b/c it was irritating not being able to use AA if I wanted a screenshot using the game's screenshot function and it worked fine tonight. So, I don't know if something else was wrong before or what. I'm only using 2xAA now and another difference is that I'm on a different part of the map. I guess I'll have to test fraps a little more to find out what's up with that.

SH64
11-04-05, 06:22 AM
Well thats bad .. AA is so important.
i'm using FRAPS to take screenshots now anyway.