PDA

View Full Version : winxp unstable on sata

grey_1
11-03-05, 12:07 PM
Hi guys, I'm at my wits end with this and hoping someone can point out something silly i'm missin
soltek k8an2e-gr
amd64 3200
1 gb kingston hyperx
1 maxtor pata
1 wd raptor
g:o nothing overclocked, I ran linux on the raptor for six months, doom 3, recently q4 with no problems at all. I wanted quicker loads in xp so i put that on the raptor, sata of course, and i get constant program crashes, win protection errors bsods...doesn't matter if i'm gaming or surfing the web. i've tried 4 different drivers from the 5.10's to the beta 's on tweaksrus. If it were a hardware issue wouldn't linux have crashed, or at least acted up as well? TIA for any insights guys.

saturnotaku
11-03-05, 12:15 PM
Did you check to make sure that the data and power cables are securely attached to both the drive and motherboard?

grey_1
11-03-05, 12:21 PM
thx for the quick reply..yes, as I recently lost my dvd in xp, again, works great in linux. Also verified rwr rails on my antec neo 480 with mbm. EDIT should have been 'pwr' rails:)

Ringthane
11-03-05, 01:36 PM
1) Try reloading XP. Sometimes it just doesn't install right.
2) Make sure you're running the latest chipset and SATA drivers.
3) Update your BIOS.

See if those help at all.

OWA
11-03-05, 02:10 PM
If the drive supports NCQ, try disabling it.

grey_1
11-03-05, 05:32 PM
hey all, thx for the replies. The raptors don't support ncq, but rather tagged command queing, and if connected to a controller that supports ncq, it will be disabled by default. I'm on my second fresh install (a day old) now, after a full format, new sata cable...I'm beginning to wonder if Linux is just more tolerant of lower spec (soltek?) hardware? Now for my stupid question:o . Isn't the sata driver included as part of the nvidia sata raid driver? If so I currently have the 5.11whql's installed, version 4.46 for the raid. Thanks again for your time folks.

ViN86
11-03-05, 06:10 PM
1) Try reloading XP. Sometimes it just doesn't install right.

yea i think im runnin one of those 'not right' installs atm, heh.

anyways, im assuming the board doesnt have native SATA support (does it?), so when you hit f6 during the windows install you installed the SATA drivers right? can you update those some how? maybe off your SATA chips manufacturer's site?

grey_1
11-03-05, 06:47 PM
can you update those some how? maybe off your SATA chips manufacturer's site? Solteks bios and driver updates are horrendous...for this board anyway. I've been trying to find a later version since reading the suggestions here, i'm thinking you folks are probably right about the lousy install. Third times a charm? We shall see... thanks for the input folks!

grey_1
11-05-05, 08:32 PM
Just a quick thx and update...no crashes since half a day after previous post, fresh install w/the new 5.11's and 81.85's. Very smooth now. Three installs later:)