PDA

View Full Version : SWEET new motherboard

Zelda_fan
11-03-05, 05:52 PM
http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2586&p=2

check out this new mobo by MSI

dual X16 K8N Diamond Plus

dual x16 lanes for improved SLI
integrated SB Audigy2 (finally a worthy integrated sound)
heatpipe fanless cooling solution

oh man i want it

jAkUp
11-03-05, 05:53 PM
Integrated Audigy2! Nice :D

jAkUp
11-03-05, 05:55 PM
Woah look at that Gigabyte board :)

ViN86
11-03-05, 06:00 PM
yea those boards look sweet :D

so, when can we expect to see a performance difference between dual x16 and x8/x8 SLi mobo's ? (can we already? i mean, its probably really only a BIOS update away)

Zelda_fan
11-03-05, 06:04 PM
yea those boards look sweet :D

so, when can we expect to see a performance difference between dual x16 and x8/x8 SLi mobo's ? (can we already? i mean, its probably really only a BIOS update away)

as it turns out there is a HUGE performance delta when you enable SLI AA.

look here at this review of this ASUS A8N32 SLI:

http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.aspx?page=14&articleid=739&cid=3

what you're looking at is a 67% performance increase in 8X SLI-AA mode and a 58% increase in 16X SLI-AA mode.

jAkUp
11-03-05, 06:38 PM
I wonder if the 7800GTX 512mb will show an even bigger difference...

superklye
11-03-05, 06:41 PM
Wow...integrated Audigy 2? That is awesome! I'd love to see some benchmarks and sound comparisons to a non-integrated Audigy 2.

I can't wait until they have integrated X-Fis. :)

Zelda_fan
11-03-05, 06:44 PM
Wow...integrated Audigy 2? That is awesome! I'd love to see some benchmarks and sound comparisons to a non-integrated Audigy 2.

I can't wait until they have integrated X-Fis. :)

I'd actually rather have an Audigy2 than an X-FI. From what I've heard the sound quality is just as good on an Audigy2, and it costs a lot less than an x-fi would.

oh man, an msi k8n diamond plus + dual 7800 GTX 512MB Ultra + X2 4800 + Ageia = gameing heaven. That would be a beast of a system.

Riptide
11-03-05, 06:50 PM
Why all the glee over this integrated Audigy 2? Seems like people rail on creative all the time about their crappy drivers and whatnot. The X-Fi was supposed to change all that ofcourse... but this is still an Audigy 2 we're talking about.

extreme4377
11-03-05, 06:54 PM
Sweet mobo but, in the second pic(first of the mobo), whats the power connector near the NB fan connector? Looks like an 8-pin variant of the regular 4-pin P4 connector...? Anyways, feature packed but its so cluttered

jAkUp
11-03-05, 07:21 PM
Its an 8 pin adapter. Most 16x boards have those now, and a few 945 boards as well. They are commonly found on server boards.

Zelda_fan
11-03-05, 07:24 PM
Why all the glee over this integrated Audigy 2? Seems like people rail on creative all the time about their crappy drivers and whatnot. The X-Fi was supposed to change all that ofcourse... but this is still an Audigy 2 we're talking about.

becasue the Audigy 2 is 10x better than some crappy RealTek 8.1 audio solution.

OWA
11-03-05, 07:31 PM
Can you buy "dual x16 lanes for improved SLI" based motherboards yet? I need to get another soon and if these are available, I guess I could move my Asus premium to my 2nd system and use the dual x16 motherboard for my main system.

Zelda_fan
11-03-05, 09:17 PM
The ASUS one is available at newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131568

but honestly, I would wait until others come out and look at reviews. DFI is comming out with a killer design for overclockers, and MSI has an awsome design with the Audigy2 onboard sound. Then of course you have the Gigabyte Quad Royal heh heh. I'd wait a bit for the rest of the heavy hitters to come out.

superklye
11-03-05, 09:21 PM
I'd actually rather have an Audigy2 than an X-FI. From what I've heard the sound quality is just as good on an Audigy2, and it costs a lot less than an x-fi would.
I don't know who you've been talking to because everything I've seen about the X-Fi line is that it destroys the Audigy 2 ZS, craps it out and then pisses on it.

TierMann
11-03-05, 09:26 PM
I was eyeing the A8N-SLI Deluxe, but that MSI X16 with the audigy 2 is nice. If it's out around (soon after) christmas then I'm so getting one instead.

extreme4377
11-03-05, 09:26 PM
Its an 8 pin adapter. Most 16x boards have those now, and a few 945 boards as well. They are commonly found on server boards.

So is this new 8 pin plug becoming a new standard?

As for the Gigabyte quad-card SLI mobo, I cant imagine how much it would be for FOUR 7800GTX's! :eek:

Zelda_fan
11-03-05, 09:29 PM
I was eyeing the A8N-SLI Deluxe, but that MSI X16 with the audigy 2 is nice. If it's out around (soon after) christmas then I'm so getting one instead.

yeah I know what you're saying. When the AGEIA card comes out, real estate on the motherboard is gonna get real tight, and it would be nice not to have an extra sound card sticking in there.

TierMann
11-03-05, 09:34 PM
yeah I know what you're saying. When the AGEIA card comes out, real estate on the motherboard is gonna get real tight, and it would be nice not to have an extra sound card sticking in there.
Exactly. And if the center and rear channels are actually powered (unlike realtek) which they are on a normal audigy 2, I'll actually be able to use my zalman headset straight from the onboard :). Another thing over some of the realtek 8.1 channel setups is that on some boards (like mine) the extra channels require the surround addon which takes up another slot. In the pic it looks like there's atleast 6 outputs allready onboard.

wheeljack12
11-05-05, 10:09 AM
MSI has been sticking the Onboard Audigy 2 (they call it Sound blaster 24-bit technically, but it's a audigy 2 value if I remember correct) on all of their SLI boards lately. Question, isn't MSI the one that has the capacitor problem where 7800 cards wouldn't fit on the 8x SLI motherboards. Wonder if they fixed that with their 16x SLI motherboards.

TierMann
11-05-05, 01:11 PM
MSI has been sticking the Onboard Audigy 2 (they call it Sound blaster 24-bit technically, but it's a audigy 2 value if I remember correct) on all of their SLI boards lately. Question, isn't MSI the one that has the capacitor problem where 7800 cards wouldn't fit on the 8x SLI motherboards. Wonder if they fixed that with their 16x SLI motherboards.

As far as I know, the diamond plus is the first series by MSI to have the audigy. Others with SB 24-bit used the Live as it says in the brief blurb in the OP's link.

TierMann
11-06-05, 03:53 PM
Someone let me know if they spot one of the MSI K8N Diamond Plus mobos anywhere for sale? I think they're supposed to be out like this week sometime.

*drools* http://www.msi.com.tw/program/newsrelease/news_page.php?UID=444
Where is it allready?! heh.

TierMann
11-17-05, 06:58 PM
Any sightings?

TierMann
01-08-06, 12:12 AM
Ok. The MSI K8N Diamon Plus (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130037) finally came out. Did anyone get one?
I decided not to go with an upgrade to 7800 so I'll be waiting for the next round of cards instead.

A couple questions though for anyone who knows or has one since I might still eventually go with this board...
Do all 3 outputs for front, rear, and center put out an amplified signal (for zalman headphones)?
How is your OC and how are the options?

|MaguS|
01-08-06, 08:53 AM
Dam I might have to get that board, MSI boards are usually pretty good with OCs. I know my Neo2 did great...

Hmm to keep DFI Expert or not to keep...