PDA

View Full Version : Call of Duty 2 Punkbuster Petition

johnkeel105
11-03-05, 06:38 PM
If you think Call of Duty 2 should have punkbuster. Please sign this online petition. Thankyou!

http://www.petitiononline.com/cod2pb/

Mr_LoL
11-04-05, 02:12 AM
They must have known what they were doing by not adding punkbuster. Its not as if its really expensive to implement is it.

rudedog
11-04-05, 05:49 AM
They state on from the xfire interview, that there was two petitions back in the cod 1 days.

One to add PB and one to remove PB. I have never heard of the petition to remove it.

johnkeel105
11-04-05, 07:30 PM
I never heard of a petition to get rid of Punkbuster. Anyway I would like to thank those of you who signed the petition. If you havent signed it already please do so. The Call of Duty Community needs all the help they can get.

jAkUp
11-04-05, 07:31 PM
Who would want a petition to remove punkbuster??!! Maybe all the hackers

johnkeel105
11-04-05, 07:34 PM
Thats the only people I can think of that would want it removed. There are alot of hackers out there and Punkbuster doesnt catch all of them. It is still better then nothing.

ricercar
11-05-05, 03:22 AM
The Punkbuster license says if you install Punkbuster they can read anything on your hard drive and download, modify, or delete files at their option and without notification. This is enough for any thinking person to want nothing to do with Punkbuster.

I don't cheat at games, but I also refuse to install anything with Punkbuster. Storing professional and personal work on my hard drive without fear of Punkbuster deletion is more valuable than online gaming.

johnkeel105
11-06-05, 11:10 PM
I thought it said only the games folders. But what is the worry they are not an illigitimate company that wants to steal your identity.

wnd
11-08-05, 02:11 PM
I don't really know how Punkbuster is written, but if it's accessing files by name instead of index number or such I cannot see why there couldn't be a bug to allow attacker to gain access to arbitrary file on computer running Punkbuster client. Even having it done with indexes/whatever doesn't mean it couldn't be abused, so I fully understand the concern of the ones having a petition against Punkbuster.

I do allow installation of Punkbuster as I play Punkbuster-supported games only under Windows, from where I cannot access any important files on my computer. I do recognize that Punkbuster is an easy way out of non-perfect games/network code, but think of it as a temporary sollution.

johnkeel105
11-11-05, 02:28 PM
I understand the view of people worrying about the security of their pc. Nevertheless it would be better to be with it then without it. It may not stop hackers but it will slow some of them down a bit. Especially them cheap cheating 12 year olds.

toxikneedle
11-11-05, 03:24 PM
signed.

DaveW
11-11-05, 09:06 PM
I thought it said only the games folders. But what is the worry they are not an illigitimate company that wants to steal your identity.

Punkbuster can detect wall hack drivers too, so it must looking in places other than just the game directory.

nukem
11-11-05, 10:24 PM
One of the other big reasons people want punkbuster removed is that it dosnt work at all through wine/winex/crossover/cedega. You can only play on non-pb servers(at least last time I checked). But punkbuster reading all my files is disturbing, im fine with it reading whats in memory when im playing the game but it shouldnt delete anything.

johnkeel105
11-12-05, 04:54 AM
Well there are some concerns like you mention but I am willing to take the risk to have punkbuster.:)

Slyder
11-12-05, 12:08 PM
I refuse point blank to play CoD 2 online untill it gets PB tbh. I just completed the excellent sp part of the game and have now returned to CoD1 mp. Which is playing like a complete bitch on my so called "upgrade" :rolleyes:

$n][pErMan
11-12-05, 12:53 PM
Id sign a petition to get rid of it in BF2 ... it seems to always want to update when im in the middle of commanding and kicks me out to update ... thats so f*cking gay! It should DL while you play... then update when you exit the match. Poor programming on EA's part tho... probably not PB's fault.

Mith192
11-13-05, 03:37 PM
A friend of mine told me that they were already working on a patch for the game and that it would include punk buster support

johnkeel105
11-14-05, 11:42 AM
That would be nice, as the game seriously needs a patch. Hopefully, they can pull it off and add punkbuster while fixing bugs and improving performance. I wish that they would realease more information about a possible incoming patch. Like Dice did with Battlefield 2. I mean they told everyone ahead of time about an upcoming patch. Just tired of getting left in the dark.