PDA

View Full Version : XBOX360 to have deliberate shortage

Shamrock
11-04-05, 01:02 AM
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20051101-5510.html

This way they can say "we sold out during the holidays"

Edge
11-04-05, 03:12 AM
Well, I wouldn't say "deliberate shortage". From the sound of it they're expecting a shortage no matter what (or else they'd just dump every unit they have onto retailers on the 22nd). I guess that type of a release would keep the post-launch buying hype to get as insane as the PS2's was (which was going for upwards of $1000 on Ebay after launch), since there would actually be a CHANCE you could get one in the next shipment instead of being stuck without any. But does a "sold out" tag really help RETAIL sales? It certainly helps drive up the price that the console is worth in the open market, but I'm not sure if a store saying their sold out of something would help sell it...if people think the store is out of them, why would they bother going to the store to try and buy it? Something like a "Currently Sold Out, more will be in next week" sign would do a lot more good.

If MS really wants to make money, they should only ship 1 unit to every store (and make it a Core just to add insult to injury), and then sell the rest of them on Ebay for $700 :p

slick
11-04-05, 09:49 AM
The might do a deiliberate shortage at launch, but that's just a marketing ploy. Starve the market for a while, make it hard to get one, build up demand for it, and then flood the market for the holidays. It would be really impractical to purposely starve the market during the holidays, as that is when the most would be baught.

Tygerwoody
11-04-05, 10:26 AM
The graphics are being pushed by ATI.... which we know will supply them with enough chips :rolleyes:

Zelda_fan
11-04-05, 12:06 PM
The graphics are being pushed by ATI.... which we know will supply them with enough chips :rolleyes:

ATI isn't manufacturing the chips. They just sold the buleprints to MS and MS is responsible for finding someone to make the chips

evilchris
11-04-05, 12:06 PM
ATI isn't producing any chips for Microsoft. :rolleyes:

Mr_LoL
11-04-05, 12:52 PM
I have cancelled my preorder for the xbox anyway as i feel underwhelmed by the launch games. Roll on PS3.

evilchris
11-04-05, 01:16 PM
You should have kept and just flipped it. Make a buck on ebay.

Banko
11-04-05, 04:33 PM
Heh, thankfully I work at Circuit City, and will probably buy 2 and sell one on ebay.

brady
11-04-05, 04:51 PM
Heh, thankfully I work at Circuit City, and will probably buy 2 and sell one on ebay.

My wife and I are going to hit up a few stores the night of the 21st and buy a couple 360's and Ebay em. (alf)

msxyz
11-05-05, 04:20 AM
The rumors that shortages are a deliberated act from Microsoft are absurd!

It has nothing to gain. If the userbase is not big enough when the PS3 hits the stores, it's going to loose momentum very fast.

PS: I see some people fell again for "teh playstation is powerful" gimmick :rolleyes:

Shamrock
11-05-05, 08:53 AM
If you're referring to me. I havent owned a console since the Sega CD, so your point has no merit. I am also guessing you didnt Read the article...here, let me quote it for you

In addition to quoting various analysts on Microsoft's plans and reasons for limiting the launch date supply, this Reuters piece quotes Microsoft's CFO to the effect that the Xbox 360 won't face the same spike-then-slump phenomenon that plauged Sony's PS2 launch

Droid6
11-05-05, 01:05 PM
This is the stupidest BS conspiracy theory I ever heard! Let's just leave it at that.

Shamrock
11-05-05, 11:00 PM
why is that? enlighten us on your information and sources. My source hasnt lied. In fact they said the MICROSOFT CFO said it himself!

lightman
11-07-05, 05:04 PM
It has nothing to gain. If the userbase is not big enough when the PS3 hits the stores, it's going to loose momentum very fast.

Well, it has to gain something. Let's say for a second that the production is very low at the moment (for whatever reason), and they know they won't be able to deliver enough consoles before, say, february. But. On the other hand, they know that launching the xbox360 on feb wouldn't be a smart move, because they would have lost the holiday season. So they launch it anyway, even if they already know only some hundred console will be available. People buys them out on launch day, and people then start to preorder them in quite big quantities.

Hard launch, lots of orders/preorders, and they can claim a one year headstart against the ps3 (provided it is launched in q4 '06, which, personally, I don't believe, I think it'll be launched quite earlier). Smart move, imho. Lots of pubblicity, bad or good it doesn't matter. ;) :D

Edge
11-07-05, 05:56 PM
Another advantage the Xbox 360 has for being in short supply is that people don't really have any console to fall back on. The PS2 shortage actually helped the Dreamcast quite a bit (during it's launch and shortly after the PS2 launch were when it enjoyed it's best sales), but in the case of the Xbox 360, what would you buy instead? More current-gen games?

Still, I'm just glad they seem to be giving stores like Gamestop and EB a good amount of consoles. It seemed that for the PS2 launch, Sony sent a majority of the consoles to larger retail stores like Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc...basically places that didn't take preorders so that more "average joe" consumers had a chance to pick one up.