PDA

View Full Version : Civilization 4 - Great game, but need to rant

Pages : [1] 2

nVidi0t
11-04-05, 01:39 PM
So I bought Civilization 4. I'm a huge Sid Mier fan, and especially a civ fan so I was ecstatic to start playing this.

A few hours of game time, and it's awesome, wonderful fantastic etc etc. I love how you can play with a dedication to diplomacy and avoid conflict which was inevitable in the previous Civ games. I also love the way how you can tweak the state more finely with the various civics. The graphics are also top notch, the zooming effects is brilliant.

Now, I'm nearing the end of my first game. I'm technologically and socially superior to the other races so I feel like expanding my borders a little. I decided to launch a full scale attack on the Persians who are my closest rival. I begin to mass ICBM nukes, Modern Armor, Mechanized Infantry, Marines and Stealth Bombers, and I approach their borders.

The battle begins, and Im laughing manically how my plan has worked perfectly so far, everything is in position and good to go. So I nuke shanghai. BOOM, awesome, and I move in for the kill. I send in some Modern Armor to take out their riflemen, muhahaha. WTF, my modern armor gets destroyed without firing off a shot! So, I make sure all my armor is upgraded for city attack to 30% power and 30% city attack, I roll in the tanks. ERM WTF? AGAIN!?? Another tank destroyed by the 1940 Lee Enflied Rifle. This continues until 13, yes THIRTEEN Modern Armor units are destroyed. I 'm pissed, and finish off their lee enfield BFG riflemen with my mech inf, and I send in my choppers to take out the artillery.

THEN I FREAKED OUT, My apache choppers got destroyed by a circa 1800 cannon!! AND AGAIN!!!

So, my entre army was wiped out by a batallion of musketeers and blackpowder. I mean, why did I even bother improving tech? Next game Im going to build an army of muskets I guess.

Gay, gay, gay. Thinking of uninstalling it and taking it back.

jAkUp
11-04-05, 01:41 PM
You can take games back if they are opened?

nVidi0t
11-04-05, 01:41 PM
Yeah, I'll say it didnt work :P

Ninjaman09
11-04-05, 02:31 PM
Damn, I was just about to pick this up after work today. That doesn't sound too encouraging. :|

Subtestube
11-04-05, 03:04 PM
OK.. I just want to say that I really really love this game, before I reply. A couple of things though:

EDIT: I should say - I come off as defensive here, but that's cos' I'm loving the Civ 4 ;)

Civ IV, like all other Civs, has a random element to it. NOT ONLY THAT, city defenses give a MASSIVE boost to a unit's statistics. Taking cities in Civ IV is non-trivial. You want to do it? You'll need to use artillary to batter away at the city defenses first, and THEN move in. Besides that? Have you ever seen 1 guy in Risk kill 10? I have - luck of the dice is an amazing thing.

Nevertheless, you are right - that situation is a little ridiculous... I personally wouldn't go so far as to take the game back over it, but I guess at the end of the day, each to his own!

nVidi0t
11-04-05, 03:20 PM
I wont take the game back, I was just VERY angry at the time. I agree its a fantastic game but that was just ridiculous. I'm going to relaoad my game now and try to wear their cities down more.

arioch21
11-04-05, 03:45 PM
ive been stuck on Civ4 since release :( lol its a great game, and very addicting for me. I was also shocked when my choppers were being droped in same fashion aswell as tanks ;p but Subtestube is correct, cities can have massive defense bonuses and you cannot just assualt them even with superior tech, you have to use what you can to weaken city defense first. I try to get their city defense down to 0% before assualting, I also pillage everything around it, resources, roads etc, this will slow down production in said city and make people living there angry, wont be long before the city is down and its all mine, mine I tell ya muahahah!.

so yea game rocks imho :cool: if you are a fan of the civ series, you should really consider getting it :)

nVidi0t
11-04-05, 04:13 PM
Ok, they just did the same thing to me, (attacked with superior tech) and didnt wear me down at all, and conquered a whole front of my cities.

MEH.

Superfly
11-04-05, 04:30 PM
Sounds like total toss to me - what a joke.

Acid Rain
11-04-05, 06:43 PM
*Highly interested in Civ IV....reading thread........becoming concerned about balance quality.....finishing thread......not purchasing game.*

nVidi0t
11-04-05, 10:37 PM
Don't let me spoil it for you. Try it yourself by all means. Maybe it's something I'm doing wrong but I consider myself a Civ veteran as I've plaayed and mastered all of them to date.

Mr. Hunt
11-04-05, 11:00 PM
http://www.civanon.org/

Go... watch the vids... I need to get in this group :(.

arioch21
11-05-05, 03:25 AM
here's a pretty nice walkthrough I saw, the person explains some of the changes between civ3 and civ4 as they go through it. nice for those interested in it but havent gotten it yet and anyone else that want tips. :)

http://civ4info.com/Sullla/civ4_walk_1.html

Subtestube
11-05-05, 06:53 AM
Just stopped playing for the night, and I should say that I was trying to take a Russian city with a veritable horde of tanks (even though I knew I'd need artillary, it was just too far away), and in the end I had no luck until I finally started building bombers, reduced the defenses to 0, and had a very very easy time just walking on in!

Amphobian
11-05-05, 12:58 PM
Hi - Understand that the outcome of a CIV 4 battle is probably dictated by random generator, however, I would point out that CIV 4 may actually be sticking to Real Life type scenarios during it's battles.

Example: Remember the Soviet - Afghanistan war?

The Mujahdeen proved to be a formidable opponent for the soviets. They were equipped with old rifles but had a knowledge of the mountains around Kabal and the weather conditions that would be encountered there. The Russians resorted to using napalm, poison gas and helicopter gun ships against the Mujahdeen - but they experienced exactly the same military scenario the Americans faced in Vietnam.

By 1982, the Mujahdeen controlled 75% of Afghanistan despite fighting the might of the world's second most powerful military power.

DaveW
11-05-05, 02:38 PM
THEN I FREAKED OUT, My apache choppers got destroyed by a circa 1800 cannon!! AND AGAIN!!!

So, my entre army was wiped out by a batallion of musketeers and blackpowder. I mean, why did I even bother improving tech? Next game Im going to build an army of muskets I guess.

Yes, its lame. Civ 1 used to be like this - e.g. a cave man with a club had a small chance at destroying an M1A1 tank, it was all random. With Civ 2 the introduced a limit on this so a tank would always win against a caveman, though the caveman may do a little bit of random damage.

It seems with Civ 4 they left this tweak out. They left out a bunch of other stuff too. There is no real city screen, just a top-down ugly map. There are no rewards - e.g. improvements to your palace. There is no screen where you see the construction of the space ship. The wonder videos suck and are buggy. I liked the vids in Civ 2 and Alpha Centauri - when my civilization does something important I want to see a big deal made of it. The game gives you no sense of accomplishment.

LycosV
11-06-05, 09:45 PM
Anyone reading this and freaked out, don't be. This game is awesome and IMO the best of the series.
The key is to not attack a city when it has any kind of a serious defense bonus (listed under the city as +___%). A good thing to check is hold down the move button (right by default I think, it's left on mine), move the movement circle over the city and look in the lower left without releasing the button. In the box down there it will tell you your chances of victory. NEVER attack if it's less than 1:1 unless you've got way more guys and are ready to die like crazy.
If you ICBM strike just before attacking, use some airplanes on strike mode, or attack (actual attack, not bombard) with artillary to do some collateral damage you can drop the defending units down to half stats. Then you can run them down with no losses with comparable or better tech. Just always be sure to check your chances of victory to weigh options and if the defense bonus is to high bombard them a little longer. If a computer's city isn't attacked for a long time they can build up defensive bonuses of over 100% because of sustained fortification, city improvements, unit upgrades, etc.
Another thing to watch out for is that the computer has lots of units with special powers to counter certain types of units (armor, air, infantry, etc.). It's all taken into account in the chances thing in the lower left though, so you should be ok.

nVidi0t
11-07-05, 03:30 AM
Yeah, I've been reading a lot of strategy guides and tips, and I'm going to give it another try tommorow. I'll take everything slowly and make sure everything is executed perfectly. If not, uninstall time.

RealLifePixelShader
11-07-05, 05:33 AM
Is there a demo out?

borntosoul
11-08-05, 01:08 AM
i have to say i love this game, and its worth trying it out for yourself. now to business, if you activate your unit then hold the right mouse button (dont let go) and drag it over to the unit/city your about to attack it gives you a strength of both attacking and defending units (shows how much chance you have of defeating the unit - something like 8.9 vs 7.6), then you can decide if its worth attacking or not. unit upgrades make a big difference in this game as well. using artillery is the way to go. still a much better game than civ3.

Mr. Hunt
11-08-05, 12:32 PM
I played it online the other day... well... I mean DAYS because in the middle we had to save and quit because it was getting too late... I ended up playing for around 12 hours in ONE game (over the span of 2 days) and the game STILL wasn't finished... I just had to quit because I had to work the next day and couldn't stay up too late :\.

wnd
11-08-05, 02:42 PM
Another tank destroyed by the 1940 Lee Enflied Rifle. This continues until 13, yes THIRTEEN Modern Armor units are destroyed.

You mean this isn't like how it works in Civ 3 Conquest? I remember wasting four modern tanks and seven mech infantry against cavalry (I recognized three units losing health) that was protecting this city I tried to take over. Usually I take out cities by buying them out and if that doesn't work, bombing with stealth bombers, and taking over with choppers, then bringing mech infantry to take control of the folsk inside.

Randomized battles are ok and in some cases even realistic like Amphobian said, but sometimes it's just sort of frustrating. Not to mention it can get a little boring to buy out half of the world...

And no, I haven't tried Civ 4. Yet.

arioch21
11-09-05, 05:52 AM
if you activate your unit then hold the right mouse button (dont let go) and drag it over to the unit/city your about to attack it gives you a strength of both attacking and defending units (shows how much chance you have of defeating the unit - something like 8.9 vs 7.6), then you can decide if its worth attacking or not

I didnt know about that, it helps a huge deal when attacking other cities, I am now finding it much easier knowing the odds and not wasting as many troops and had np destroying others cities with lower tech, thx alot :D

donchron
12-30-05, 03:48 PM
I haven't played it for long (1 1/2 completed games), but compared to Civ 1/2/3, this one is very very good. There's a 100-turn demo available for download - links are on this page at CivFanatics:
http://www.civfanatics.com/news2/comments.php?id=589

The new interface is very different, and takes some adjusting, but the graphics are far superior to the previous versions and some of the new gameplay elements (civics, religion) are really cool when you get used to them.

nutcrackr
12-30-05, 06:01 PM
I loved when I saw the IGN review with Knights on horses attacking helicopters and killing them. There is such a thing as too stupid imho.