PDA

View Full Version : G71 / 90nm with INSANE core speeds in Q1/06

lowdog
11-04-05, 04:51 PM
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27463

If this is true then who in their right minds would buy a 7800GTX 512meg on 110nm now......especially if they already have a 7800GTX 256meg card. :rolleyes:

Riptide
11-04-05, 04:55 PM
The "if this is true" and considering the source... Who in their right mind would really make a serious decision based on this?

J-Mag
11-04-05, 05:08 PM
I will have no issues what-so-ever replacing my GTX's with the upcoming 110nm 512mb GTX, even with this knowledge.

You can always sell your old cards...

OWA
11-04-05, 05:11 PM
Yep, same here.

lowdog
11-04-05, 05:22 PM
The "if this is true" and considering the source... Who in their right mind would really make a serious decision based on this?

The inquirer was the source for all the latest info on the 7800GTX 512meg with 550MHz core and 1800MHz mem. People were making serious decisions based on that info so what's the difference here. :rolleyes:

OWA
11-04-05, 05:28 PM
Actually, from some of the other threads, it appears that the Inq was getting it's info from other sources that were said to be more credible. Check some of the threads in the rumor mill. I think several posts discuss that, I just don't remember exactly what was said at the moment.

Edit: But, that doesn't mean that I'm still not a little skeptical since the specs are much higher than I expected.

Riptide
11-04-05, 05:29 PM
The inquirer has proven to not be a really reliable source of information, that's why you'd be silly to make a decision based on some stupid ass rumor they report.

If there's more to it... then perhaps there is more to it. But it needs to be more than just the Inquirer before I believe it.
People were making serious decisions based on that info so what's the difference here.That's my point. I wouldn't make a serious decision based off the inquirer alone.

BTW the 512 GTX hasn't been released and no we don't know what the clocks will be.

jAkUp
11-04-05, 05:41 PM
Actually, from some of the other threads, it appears that the Inq was getting it's info from other sources that were said to be more credible. Check some of the threads in the rumor mill. I think several posts discuss that, I just don't remember exactly what was said at the moment.

Edit: But, that doesn't mean that I'm still not a little skeptical since the specs are much higher than I expected.

Well the BIOS for the XFX card is out so its pretty much confirmed that the clocks are indeed correct.

Riptide
11-04-05, 05:41 PM
But where did that BIOS come from? Can you get it on XFX's website?

jAkUp
11-04-05, 05:47 PM
No, but considering that nVidia wanted the BIOS removed off Mavke's site is enough to pretty much validate the numbers :)

Slightly higher voltage on the card, and higher clockspeeds.

Riptide
11-04-05, 05:49 PM
Meh. I reserve judgement until it's out. Nvidia may have wanted it removed simply because those clocks were higher than they should be.

sabersix1
11-04-05, 05:52 PM
Well Read another Inquirer Report from this morning:
7800GTX 512MB hits the street on 14th

True 7800Ultra coming your way... with PS3-style GPU clock

By Theo Valich: Friday 04 November 2005, 09:13

AFTER a little research we managed to get information from several retailers and e-tailers. The 7800GTX 512MB is already SKUed [Yes, we've turned Stock Keeping Unit into a verb, Ed.], and the delivery date is set for Monday, November 14th. Several Nvidia partners told us about shipping boards in full quantity in week 46, so it seems like X1800XT got competition even before it has shipped into retail.
Back in July, we have reported here that little NV47 chip had far more juice than relatively modest clock speed of original GTX. The Green Goblin launched its 7800 series over five months before Captain Canuck gave an answer in the sight of X1K series - it was more than obvious that Nvidia kept silent about the true capabilities of the NV47/G70 chip.

However, we have managed to see some boards dubbed "Faster G70 with 512MB", which were clocking to heavens high.

One board even had the GPU clocked to sky-high 800 MHz, which sent shivers down my spine. 110 nano process doing 800 MHz clock? Vulcans would say "highly illogical", but we didn't care at the time and decided to trust our very eyes instead of sources who claimed differently.

In September, some reps even claimed that the product was cancelled. In the end - all stories come true.

The supposedly cancelled UItra was simply re-named to 7800GTX 512MB. While I personally feel this is a crap name and devalues of this product, I'll leave this to Nvidia's marchitecture pandits, minions and spinners. This is the 7800Ultra, no matter how it is called now. The price is set at $599 to $649, or 400 much more expensive than X1800XT, but Nvidia believes it has a reason to keep the price sky-high.

The new G71 or "Faster G70" is a pure thoroughbred. If you remove the cooling solution which was introduced with Quadro FX 4500, you'll see that Nvidia modified the PCB (Printed Circuit Board) a bit in order to fit spanking new 1.1ns Samsung GDDR3 modules, which will be clocked between 800 and 900MHz.

Since the memory is declared to work at 909MHz, you can expect some serious overclocking there, and passing the once unimaginable 60GB/s barrier. Don't be too suprised if you see enthusiast forums boiling with reports of 1GHz memory clock soon after introduction.

However, the show isn't stopping here - some manufacturers decided to clock the GPU higher and lowered the speed of the memory to keep the board stable in volume production. Of course, if you get a jackpot sample, you can expect GPU core easily surpassing the 600 MHz mark and it will be truly interesting to see how will 16-pipe R520XT cope with "Faster G70 with 512MB" at the same GPU clock speed, as we reported over four months ago.

You can be for sure that at least three "usual suspects" will do tango dancing with the clocks: Gainwards "Golden Sample", eVGA "KO" and BFG "OC" series - Green Goblin's minions were desperately trying to keep things quiet, but retailers/e-tailers had horrible time with 6800Ultra availability and info is leaking onto the Internet in true Niagara Falls style.

The other two companies that changed reference clocks are XFX and LeadTek, but you can be sure they're not the only ones. Default clocks are set at 550/1800MHz, and every manufacturer can choose a variation. Do not expect these boards to have a single-slot cooling, since that would be close to suicide.

All that we can say is: 7800Ultra will be a truly remarkable product. For 1080p and 1900x1200 monitor users who want Transparency AntiAliasing and Anisotropic Filtering cracked to the max.

I already confirmed an MSRP for the GTX512 at $649.99 and that price does not reflect any changes made by the Top Teir 1 Co's and Channel Partners as far as OC'ed Cards, pre=installed water blocks and what have you.:angel: JKohl

ViN86
11-05-05, 01:30 PM
hahaha nvidia is so sneaky man, i love it. ATI launches and sets a date to release their x1800XT and then out of nowhere, before they launch it, nvidia drops this beast. with their superior architecture, im sure they will dominate the market at these speeds.

is it just me or has ATI been just upping the clocks for the past year or so to keep up with nvidia?

Redeemed
11-05-05, 04:09 PM
They've also been innovating: RingBus, 512-Bit memory bus, and fully programmable memory controller.

Aside from that, yeah, they've just been upping their clock and mem speeds.

Roliath
11-05-05, 05:34 PM
Slightly higher voltage on the card, and higher clockspeeds.

This is what i'm concerned about the most, it usually takes 1.5vcore to get the 256GTX to 600core, and the 512one will do it with only 1.45...

SH64
11-05-05, 06:47 PM
Meh. I reserve judgement until it's out. Nvidia may have wanted it removed simply because those clocks were higher than they should be.

You know what ? my "inside" feeling is telling me its going to be same as stock 256MB GTX .. the XFX BIOS story is still not enough proof for me to believe in such high clocks + i dont want to give high hopes & be disappointed when its out.
my "outside" feeling though is telling me its going to be 550/1700.

agentkay
11-05-05, 07:29 PM
So the RSX has just 24pipes? I thought it had 32 and Im not impressed by the G71 core speeds at all. I thought 600 would be conservative clock for the low-k 90nm process, and now its suppose to have only 550? I know the target for that might be "best yields possible" but still the "news" on the GTX512MB (or what its suppose to be), impressed me way more.

Well, its all INQ and I know they are not very reliable, so well see what the future will bring.