PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed (Motherboard Troubles)

NightFire
11-04-05, 09:50 PM
Hey, guys. Usually I don't have any trouble figuring out what's wrong with computers, but this one stumped me, so I was wondering if anyone could help me out here. My problem is detailed as follows:

The computer is a Compaq Presario SR1103WM. The ATX power switch has been ripped off, so the computer will no longer start. I buy a replacement ATX power switch and plug it in, making sure to allign the connectors properly, but after much clicking of the switch, all I succed in doing is making the LED on the power supply blink on and off. I'm thinking it's a motherboard problem right now, since the PSU seems to be working fine, but I can't be certain of that fact. What's your opinion?

Thanks in advance.

Infinity666
11-05-05, 12:06 AM
Do you have a second system or a friends pc that you could put the psu into and erify that it works? and by power switch are you refering to the on/off switch on the psu itself or the power button for the case?

crainger
11-05-05, 01:05 AM
Sounds like something could be shorting out. Sound like a prob my sis had. Turns out is was a dodgey case fan connector. I would disconnect all power leads, then one plug in only the needed ones, leaving out drives, case fans and the like. If it works one by one plug in devices to see which one causes the short.

NightFire
11-05-05, 07:58 AM
I'm going to swap PSU's today, and it's the case power switch. Thanks for the advice, guys.