PDA

View Full Version : High FPS in Quake 4 Multiplayer

Burpy
11-04-05, 11:26 PM
I have been reading up on Q4 console commands & found this nifty little command that can pretty much double your fps. It basically uses one light for the whole map.
As you can see from the below pics my fps has doubled and its rock solid @ 60fps everywhere on the map.

I was amazed just how smooth everything felt after playing Q4 with fps that would dip to 15fps at times.

Of course there is a downside to this miracle command... raven set the commands as cheat protected, so they can't be used online. Hopefully this will be corrected in the first patch from raven.

Here are the commands if you want to give it a try.

**At the Q4 main menu bring down the console and type: net_allowcheats 1
**Now goto multiplayer>create server & launch q4dm7 "over the edge".
**Once in the map bring down the console & type r_singlelight 75
**The game should get dark, now type r_lightscale 10

Everything should be clear as day & your fps doubled.

Note: each mp map needs a different r_singlelight #, Over the Edge is 75.

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/4900/q47jz.jpg

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/3404/q426xh.jpg

Absolution
11-04-05, 11:32 PM
its considered a cheat because it gives the fullbright effect which is indeed unfair as lighting does come into play on maps and such...

but good for performance none the less :0

Burpy
11-04-05, 11:45 PM
I wouldnt consider it a cheat as its even part of Quake 3 (r_vertexlight). And if its available to everyone it cant be a cheat.
I just want the end user to have the option to enable it or not. The second pic is the perfect balance of high quality, visibility & solid fps for me.
With this command enabled, lower end computer users would have a much better time with the game. I've heard ATI 9600xt's hitting solid 60fps with this command.

I agree there needs to be limits, but this could change the current state of the game & draw in alot more players.

I myself havent been playing much mp because of the fps drops which sucks the fun out of the game. I just hope raven/id really considers this one. :)

Mr. Nice
11-05-05, 04:42 AM
I wouldnt consider it a cheat as its even part of Quake 3 (r_vertexlight).r_Fullbright and r_vertexlight are very different things. Vertexlight did lighting without using lightmaps, by assigning a light value to each vertex and then blending inbetween them (which is pretty much how lighting was done in quake 3 on models as opposed to world geometry anyway). Like most cheat protected commands, r_singlelight is for map debugging, to show the effect of a single light. What you are doing is finding which light is the ambient light (which most but not all of the mp mpas have a small amount off). You can get quite a reasonable fps gain just by turning off shadows (r_shadows 0) (which turning off all lights except ambient effectively does anyway, since it leaves no shadow casting lights), which at least doesn't leave the world so ugly. Or even turn off bump mapping, since again without directional light you would hardly notice bump mapping anyway. Both the above are of course not cheat protected.

I agree there needs to be limits, but this could change the current state of the game & draw in alot more players.What, by making it uglier lighting wise then even quake 1?

[edit]Oh, specular lighting also is essentially skipped with ambient light as well, another non-cheat option to turn off. With all 3 of the above turned off, I wonder how much fps advantage is actually left for the cheat option of ambient light only?

Burpy
11-05-05, 02:18 PM
It might be a debugging command, but it still makes multiplayer so much better becasue of the visibility & steady fps.

I disagree that the pic with singlelight is ugly, the game is on high quality & IMO looks quite nice, each their own I guess.

I tried all three of your suggestions and they did improve fps but it still wasnt at the sold 60fps singlelight gives.
Also, turning off bumpmap degrades texture quality & is much to ugly for my taste.

I suggest you try my above setting on high quality with all special effects enabled & see how great it looks & run.

Another singlelight screenshot.
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/8302/q43gx.jpg

Imbroglio
11-05-05, 04:35 PM
lol, take any competetive fps player and they choose high-lighting over complete shadows any day of the week. i'd rather see my opponent, rather then see it "how it is meant to be". that's imo from a competetive viewpoint :cool:

Mr. Nice
11-05-05, 07:19 PM
lol, take any competetive fps player and they choose high-lighting over complete shadows any day of the week. i'd rather see my opponent, rather then see it "how it is meant to be". that's imo from a competetive viewpoint :cool:Indeed, which is exactly why some lighting cvars get cheat protected ;). But anyway, the mp maps don't exactly leave that many dark areas, and without shadow casting even fewer.

freesample
11-05-05, 11:29 PM
May I ask what videocard you have? in the same place as your screenshot, and in pretty much all places on most maps, I get 55-65 fps, very playable.

I am running in High settings, everything high. Special effects on, 1024x768, no shadows and no AA. You should really turn shadows off on multiplayer, they bother me and arn't even noticable once they are off. Not to mention, with them off, it boosts performance quite a bit.. Also something I don't understand, why don't you just turn shadows off (r_shadows 0). the command you want to be made client side will not allow shadows to be viewed anyhow, so why not just turn them off, i don't understand, it really does boost performance alot.

http://webpages.charter.net/ebrey/overtheedge.jpg

Now, here are my specs.

ATi 9800 pro 128mb (second to the LAST videocard on the list of videocards that work with Q4.)
AMD Athlon XP 2800+ @ 3200+ (2.2GHz)
1GB Corsair ram
blah blah and so on.

as you can tell, my pc is not top notch, specially for this game, but i'm running it just fine.

My autoexec.cfg

Commands taken from http://www.tweakguides.com/Quake4_4.html and http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/Quake4/Quake4Guide.htm

seta com_videoRam "128" - Tells the game how much video ram my video card has. For some people, the game was only detecting 64meg, even if their cards supported much higher, might want to check this out in console.

seta r_displayRefresh "85" -Refreshrate of my monitor.
seta r_orderIndexes "1" - If set to 1, reorganises indexes to optimize vertex use. This improves rendering performance.
seta r_renderer "best" - [best, arb, arb2, cg, exp, nv10, nv20, r200] - Determines the rendering path to use.
seta r_useStateCaching "1" - This option should be set to 1 for optimal performance, as it caches OpenGL state changes.
seta r_useVertexBuffers "1" - If set to 1, uses ARB_vertex_buffer_object for vertexes, which improves performance.
seta r_useTripleTextureARB "1" - Allows graphics cards with 3+ texture units do a two pass instead of three pass

seta s_musicvolume "0" - No music at menu
seta s_numberOfSpeakers "2" - Detects 2 speakers
seta s_clipVolumes "1" - When set to 1, this removes sounds which cannot be heard which provides optimal performance.