PDA

View Full Version : for you dell lovers, a AMD sign of things to come

wheeljack12
11-05-05, 09:32 AM
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productlisting.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=04&category_id=6197&first=true&mnf=116&k=

superklye
11-05-05, 10:34 AM
Sweet...and can't you buy Opteron-based systems from them already, too?

mx125race
11-05-05, 11:58 AM
I used to be a Dell-lover. Unfortunatley for Dell, I am no longer a Dell-lover. They suck.

Roadhog
11-05-05, 12:11 PM
so thats what AMD means.

mx125race
11-05-05, 02:36 PM
no i didnt mean amd sucked lol, just dell.................

bkswaney
11-06-05, 02:09 AM
Glad to see Dell is getting smart. ;)

Infinity666
11-06-05, 03:26 AM
Umm? who cares about dell would I be wrong if I claimed 90% of the people on this forum built there own pc?

DELL SUCKS:thumbdwn:

marqmajere
11-06-05, 04:13 AM
There's nothing wrong with Dell. Some people use thier computer for things other than gaming.

Sazar
11-06-05, 11:38 AM
Dell sells over 40k items besides computers. They have previously sold procs and they will sell them again.

The BIG news would be if AMD procs were in Dell built system. :)

keith33
11-06-05, 11:40 AM
For those of you that say Dell sucks, how many of you have 2001FP or 2405FP monitors or whatever the hell they're called? I'm picking up the 20 inch as my Christmas present to myself this year :):)

Rakeesh
11-06-05, 12:13 PM
You can't beat dell's LCD's. They are very good, and very inexpensive.

superklye
11-06-05, 12:17 PM
Dell sells over 40k items besides computers. They have previously sold procs and they will sell them again.

So I ask again: doesn't Dell sell Opteron-based servers already?

wheeljack12
11-06-05, 12:37 PM
In terms of the desktops, AMD has been wanting for years for Dell to sell their systems. This is a foot in the door for them. And yes, I would pretty much buy anything but a desktop from Dell. They lock their motherboards (or at least used to) so you couldn't upgrade or even for whatever reason downgrade the CPU. Used to work at a place where they mainly used dell for the business (500+ employees) and the on-site tech (Unisys, Dell in Canada 3rd parties contracts the techs) told me this when he was replacing a cpu in a damaged system. just took a quick look at the dell us and canadian sites. Both are still showing intel based servers.

superklye
11-06-05, 12:39 PM
In terms of the desktops, AMD has been wanting for years for Dell to sell their systems. This is a foot in the door for them. And yes, I would pretty much buy anything but a desktop from Dell. They lock their motherboards (or at least used to) so you couldn't upgrade or even for whatever reason downgrade the CPU. Used to work at a place where they mainly used dell for the business (500+ employees) and the on-site tech (Unisys, Dell in Canada 3rd parties contracts the techs) told me this when he was replacing a cpu in a damaged system. just took a quick look at the dell us and canadian sites. Both are still showing intel based servers.
Hmm...I could've sworn I read somewhere that if you were "the right person" you could get opteron systems from Dell.

It's such hore**** that Intel has Dell by the balls like this. How is Intel not seen as a monopoly, yet MS is? I just don't get it.

Sazar
11-06-05, 01:09 PM
I'm sure you can buy an opteron based setup from the dell online store if it was available.

Dell itself is not making those products or offering any support for them however.

mx125race
11-06-05, 06:25 PM
Dell makes really nice display products (such as their LCD monitors and plasma 42" TV), but computers in general, i dislike them. They make some nice laptops, but all the stuff thet put in their computers is all built or put together customized so you HAVE to buy DELL products and not other sutff. For instance, you can buy a new gfx card, but you can't buy a new mobo. You can buy a new mobo, but then you have to buy a new case because the Dell mobo connects to the power button. etc. I just don't like their desktop pcs. Their gaming XPS series and gaming desktops are all very noisy and undurable. The case is a huge cheap material and even with all the space its cramped and hard to upgrade and ocmes with noisy stock fans. they offer some good deals on that, but their low end computers come with the lowest of the lowend stuff and it cost so much more to configure to be just a bit better. alienware and dell are overpriced. i dont hate dell, ill still use them, my family owns 2 dell desktops and 2 laptops. but im going to switch the desktop i use for gaming into a real gaming computer, saveing some of the parts and buying a new case, vid card, proccesor, and mtoherboard this christmas. recently made another 100 bucks which i decided will go to my pc budget, so i should be fine when i order the parts. but yeah, dell makes good display products and their mp3 player ain't that bad. i love their lcd's.

|JuiceZ|
11-07-05, 12:35 PM

Exactly. Dell has actually been selling AMD cpus for a while, it doesn't mean squat until they start building AMD-powered desktops. For all we know, it could just be another ploy from Dell to get even better pricing on cpus from Intel.

Dazz
11-07-05, 12:43 PM
Yeah every time i tell someone that i have a 2004FPW they say why a Dell i would say yeah their PC's are ****e but their monitors are decent.