PDA

View Full Version : Which power supply...

Pages : [1] 2

Slyder
11-05-05, 01:43 PM
Having been here a while now, I have come to notice you guys like Antec or Enermax ?

Which one gets the vote people. It has to power the following with ease.

AMD Athlon 64 Venice 3.5gig
GFX = Dual 6600 256meg (this is 1 card with 2 gpu's people)
2 HDD
1 cd burner + 1 dvd burner

Will 480watts be enough... and what make... I ask because at the moment I am using a generic PSU from 2 years ago.
Place ya bets now...

jAkUp
11-05-05, 02:05 PM
OCZ Powerstream, Targan, or seasonic

PC Power and Cooling obviously is another choice, but very expensive.

keith33
11-05-05, 02:20 PM
OCZ Powerstream, Targan, or seasonic

PC Power and Cooling obviously is another choice, but very expensive.

jakUp knows all, I couldn't get a PCP&C because it was backordered at the time so I went with a Powerstream, no regrets so far.

Q
11-05-05, 02:21 PM
PC power is the best that money can buy. I'm getting the 1kw one for my next rig, come hell or high water.

Rytr
11-05-05, 03:15 PM
I can't find anything about the FSP 500W to knock except maybe having only one connection for the card...had to get an adapter for the other line so I could run SLI. Still, for under $100 I think its hard to beat. Supplies power to the rails as good as my Enermax 600W, if not better, and for a lot less. ;)

jAkUp
11-05-05, 03:32 PM
I dunno, I still don't like Enermax PSU's. I used to be all about them, if you notice, typically they only use caps rated for 85 degrees C :( The big boys use 115's

Slyder
11-05-05, 03:58 PM
I dunno, I still don't like Enermax PSU's. I used to be all about them, if you notice, typically they only use caps rated for 85 degrees C :( The big boys use 115's

Oh damm... thanks jAk... lol.. I just ordered an Enermax.

The only reason I rushed this was they have a Noistaker 535 watt here in the UK that is selling out everywhere. There is only 1 left on the site I ordered from.

I hope this is a good investment. I only need this to run my new rig at stock speeds across the board. No overclocking on the cpu, bus, ram or gfx card. It should be fine......... shouldnt it... :eek:

jAkUp
11-05-05, 04:05 PM
haha

Yea they are fine. I am just really picky :D

toxikneedle
11-05-05, 04:26 PM
OCZ or PCP&C

einstein_314
11-05-05, 04:47 PM
I've got an OCZ Powerstream 520W and I love it. Dead silent, most of the cables come sleaved. And its very shiny.

nelamvr6
11-05-05, 05:21 PM
Hi guys, new here, but not new to system building. I have built several systems for myself and for friends and family, all of which have functioned without problems.

PC Power & Cooling is the only PSU I will use in a system.

I don't understand the logic behind using an inferior PSU to power a system with $500 video cards. The PSU is one of the most important components in a system, especially if you're planning on overclocking.

BlueScreen
11-05-05, 09:58 PM
I bought a Antec TruePower 2 550W. It is quite cheap for 124$ CAN

OWA
11-05-05, 10:59 PM
The Enermax I'm using now is my first one but I really like it. I mainly got it b/c in the reviews it was usually the most quiet or close to it and it was also SLI ready/approved. I don't do any heavy overclocking though.

keith33
11-05-05, 11:17 PM
Hi guys, new here, but not new to system building. I have built several systems for myself and for friends and family, all of which have functioned without problems.

PC Power & Cooling is the only PSU I will use in a system.

I don't understand the logic behind using an inferior PSU to power a system with $500 video cards. The PSU is one of the most important components in a system, especially if you're planning on overclocking.

I completely agree with your train of thought and have always "over bought" my power supply for solely this reason. Not only that, when you buy a quality power supply, it emits less heat, and consumes less overall power due to efficiency. PC P&C isn't the only decent power supply maker in the world though, I've bought 6 OCZ Powerstreams (2 for me, 1 for my dad, 3 at my work) and never had a single one provide instable rails let alone fail. I will admit though, if it was easier to get PC P&C stuff in Canada I would probably make the same choice as you.:o

jAkUp
11-05-05, 11:31 PM
Yes the Powerstreams are very good..

the Modstreams are... not as good :D

smthmlk.
11-05-05, 11:39 PM
I quite like my Seasonic S12-500. SPCR's review of the s12-500 & 600. (http://www.silentpcreview.com/article247-page1.html)

Roliath
11-06-05, 12:14 AM
I haven't read this thread, but to the OP I'd look into getting a OCZ Powerstream 520, or PC Power And Cooling 510, Fortron BlueStorm 500W, these are great PSU's... Or even a Sunbeam NUUO.

I'd stay away from Antec's new HE Line, as I've heard nothing but bad stories about these psu's...

skypx
11-06-05, 12:26 AM
PC Power and Cooling. I have used them for years without any problems.

Slyder
11-06-05, 01:12 PM
The Enermax I'm using now is my first one but I really like it. I mainly got it b/c in the reviews it was usually the most quiet or close to it and it was also SLI ready/approved. I don't do any heavy overclocking though.

Im in the same boat. I dont overclock and the reviewers over here gave Enermax rave reviews, so Im just hoping I dont dead a dead one. :D

Rytr
11-06-05, 01:42 PM
I like the Enermax 600W, it does the job well even overclocking. When I ordered the first one was DOA but no problems with this one and it is in use 24/7. I also have a 550W, 20-pin, that has been in use for over 2 yrs. and now is running a PCI-E board with no problems. Can't complain about Enermax other than the price compared to FSP or Tagan. Have not tried a Seasonic...maybe that will be my next psu or if I come into some $$$ a PC Power&Cooling! :D

Elderblaze
11-06-05, 02:41 PM
The Antec NeoHE is fine, there was an incompaitiblility with a widely used Asus board (A8N) that tarnished this PSU's introduction. The problem was with the board though, not the psu.

Seasonic is not sleeved.. that kinda sucks. They also have some QC issues. Fortron blue is nice sleeved/quality unit, it's not sli certified though.

Regards,
Mike

hectorsm
11-06-05, 08:27 PM
I like my Enermax 430W. I have used it for three years and it has been a very good power supply. My next rig will have a an Enermax Liberty 500W. I do not want to pay more for the other brands.

wnd
11-08-05, 03:49 PM
I used to have 250 W and later 300 W PSU from Q Technology (not to be confused with Q Tech). When I first turned it on I couldn't tell if it was on or off unless harddrive started spinning (had Voodoo 3 at the time). Nowadays all my in-use IBM-PC compatibles are running with Zalman's PSUs, my workstation with 400 W (A64 3500+ & 7800 GT).

Roliath
11-08-05, 04:32 PM
The Antec NeoHE is fine, there was an incompaitiblility with a widely used Asus board (A8N) that tarnished this PSU's introduction. The problem was with the board though, not the psu.

I just read a thread over at the [H], and yeah it was the board not the PSU.

mullet
11-08-05, 04:41 PM
I have used antec sence 1995 they have never let me down.