PDA

View Full Version : Quake 4 Supports X-Fi?

OWA
11-05-05, 11:10 PM
Saw this bit at bit-tech.net (news from Creative).

Quake 4 supports:
X-RAM: Certain sounds and music is decoded and then stored in the X-RAM
so it doesn't have to be done on the fly when the game is playing. Result should be faster frame rate.

OpenAL: Faster access between the game and the audio hardware (bypassing the layers of Windows which DirectSound has to pass through). Result should be faster frame rate.

EAX 5.0: Some features of EAX 5.0 are supported, meaning you will get a more intimate audio experience on X-Fi. We're awaiting details as to which features, specifically, are supported.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2005/11/03/quake_4_x_fi/

jAkUp
11-05-05, 11:21 PM
Interesting... Sweet :D I guess its good I have the Fatal1ty!

OWA
11-06-05, 12:31 AM
Interesting... Sweet :D I guess its good I have the Fatal1ty!
Did you ever get your issues sorted out?

jAkUp
11-06-05, 12:44 AM
haha nope :(

I still get popping and crackling noises, but I just live with it now. I'm tired of trying to fix it. Some games are worse than others, like Fear is horrible, but CS: S is almost problem free :)

Superfly
11-06-05, 02:11 AM
these X-Fi's sound a bit crap to me - with all the popping problems people are having.

jolle
11-06-05, 11:04 AM
Havent had any problems whatsoever with my XtremeMusic X-Fi..
Loving this card, was a big step for me since I havent used a soundcard in ages.

Roch
11-06-05, 11:06 AM
No problems here either, Quake 4 sounded fantastic, especially using Speedlink medusa 5.1 headphones.

holdenb
11-06-05, 11:08 AM
haha nope :(

I still get popping and crackling noises, but I just live with it now. I'm tired of trying to fix it. Some games are worse than others, like Fear is horrible, but CS: S is almost problem free :)

I thought it was just me getting those popping and crackling noises........:(

mine's especially noticeable on the menu screens....

Back on topic....

I don't see any X-fi support in quake at the moment, just open AL......I presume that news refers to an up-coming patch???

:confused:

OWA
11-06-05, 11:20 AM
I think the OpenAL support is how they're supporting the X-Fi. Read the section I quoted in the first post.

$n][pErMan
11-06-05, 11:58 AM
Q4 souned amazing on my Audigy 2 (more so than any other game I have) .. which kind of surprised me because positioning sounded sweet. I really want an X-Fi .. but I just cant seem to justify spending $200+ on a sound card ATM :(

Holy Smoke
11-09-05, 09:02 PM
According to Rightmark, EAX5 is limited to OpenAL right now. At least one of the features being referred to are 127 voice support (judging by my config file anyway).

Aphot
11-09-05, 09:32 PM
Another reason for me to get a X-Fi :)

superklye
11-09-05, 09:48 PM
Again: I am super-effing happy I got my Elite Pro today. :D

OWA
11-10-05, 01:42 AM
Congrats on getting it. Are you going to use all the control panels? If you end up hooking up the panel with the remote, I'll be interested in how well it works. I might install mine if you think it's worth it.

aAv7
11-13-05, 07:58 PM
I had alot of popping with my old audigy 2 ZS in my old socket 754 system. This new 939 socket system and the x-fi I just purchased today work great together, no popping what so ever, tried every game I have installed.

chowells
11-15-05, 10:50 AM
Ergh. With all the complaints about NForce4 problems and crackling it sounds like I'll be getting a much cheaper Audigy rather than the X-Fi, at least until the problems are ironed out.

OWA
11-15-05, 11:24 AM
I have two nforce4 systems and each is using a X-Fi. Things are fine with my system but I have seen some others say they have issues.

saweetnesstrev
11-15-05, 12:18 PM
OWA X-FI is better then Audigy 2? If so how much better? Worth the upgrade or just wait for a later x-fi card?

OWA
11-15-05, 04:29 PM
It's definitely worth it if you use headphones. If you don't, then it really depends on the game. Some games, like BF2, I noticed a big difference when using the X-Fi mode. With other games, I can't tell a lot of difference between it and the Audigy 2 ZS I was using before. I mainly use headphones these days though and the positional sound is light-years (okay, slight exaggeration) ahead of what the Audigy 2 ZS provided. :)

chowells
11-15-05, 06:41 PM
Bah. Seems like most of the problems have been with Abit NForce4 boards. Might try risking it with my Asus :)

OWA
11-15-05, 06:52 PM
There are new drivers that just came out. Maybe that'll help the people that have been having issues.