PDA

View Full Version : SLI Mobo Question regarding Single GFX card

macatak
11-06-05, 08:38 AM
Just curious as to whether there's any performance difference between using a single card in an SLI board as apposed to using a single card in a non-SLI board ?
TIA

rewt
11-06-05, 10:52 AM
Well SLI boards normally have a way to use just a single card in x16 mode. I really don't think there would be any difference as far as that is concerned.

newls1
11-06-05, 12:48 PM
Im using a MSI neo4 plat SLI board now which only has 1 GPU in it. Plays great!!

macatak
11-06-05, 02:36 PM
Yeah, good point there rewt, and newls1, i'm getting exactly the same board, should arrive today along with a BFG 7800GTX OC
thx

superklye
11-06-05, 02:43 PM
I'm sure you wouldn't notice any difference between an SLI board and non-SLI board. Both have an x16 lane, the only difference is that the SLI board has two. It's not like having two turns them both into x8 lanes...they're both full x16 lanes until SLI is enabled. THEN they're x8.

macatak
11-06-05, 03:02 PM
I'm sure you wouldn't notice any difference between an SLI board and non-SLI board. Both have an x16 lane, the only difference is that the SLI board has two. It's not like having two turns them both into x8 lanes...they're both full x16 lanes until SLI is enabled. THEN they're x8.
Another good point :)

TierMann
11-06-05, 03:46 PM
And the best point of all...
It BETTER not give any performance hit over a single slotted board, cause I'll be doing the same thing soon. :)
As far as I've noticed, most single card results on single slot pci-e boards are as close as two different rigs can get with benchmarks from dual slot with sli off. I don't like benchmarks really, but atleast it's something for comparison.