PDA

View Full Version : quake 4 online

ynnek
11-06-05, 02:07 PM
Hmm.. It doesn't really seem to be many quake 4 players online playing. There's always a low ping server to jump onto with players.. but its usually only seems a handful per game type, at least local to me..

One of my friends that I play with, thinks it'll grow.. but I dunno.. Looking at gamespy's server list, I estimate maybe about 500-1000 players on...

Is it the high sys requirements, especially CPU (lots of people fighting yields really low rates it seems)? The fact that it reminds people too much of Q3A? Combined with the fact, everyone still seems to play CS and CS Source? and a few other games?

I also think becaue the ingame browser really really sucks.. In fact, even an external winform proggy that simply loads up Q4 when selecting a server would have been better.. and for some reason, alot of the browsers are limited to 1000 servers, even though gamespy finds a way to list over 1000.. usually 1500-2000.

LiquidX
11-06-05, 03:24 PM
I dont see it getting any better to be honest. Nothing about it including the browser feels right to me. I dont even think it plays like a Quake game should. I just hope a great mod comes out for it because as is its nothing like Quake in IMO. All these years.:(

|JuiceZ|
11-07-05, 10:43 AM
Nothing about it including the browser feels right to me. I dont even think it plays like a Quake game should. I just hope a great mod comes out for it because as is its nothing like Quake in IMO. All these years.:(

my feelings exactly. Haven't touched the game since I bought on release day. Hope it goes on me though, cause I didn't pay $50 for a paperweight.

MrSavoy
11-07-05, 11:10 AM
You know I was a hard core Q3 player for years and still play it occasionally. That said, I like Q4 but I have to agree with you guys here. It doesn't seem like quake and yet it does, really strange. I'm not quite sure why I dont see alot of people playing and to be honest I was concerned about that also over the last few days. I see a **** load of servers but hardly anyone on em. I mean Q4 doesnt seem to have many more people playing than Q3 does at peak times. What gives? I'm wondering if really alot of people don't like it all that much.

As for me, I like it, not love but like it. I wish I loved it but oh well. I'm hoping with the OSP mod that will change. :rolleyes:

ynnek
11-07-05, 11:23 AM
is OSP still around? I can't even find their homepage...?

You know I was a hard core Q3 player for years and still play it occasionally. That said, I like Q4 but I have to agree with you guys here. It doesn't seem like quake and yet it does, really strange. I'm not quite sure why I dont see alot of people playing and to be honest I was concerned about that also over the last few days. I see a **** load of servers but hardly anyone on em. I mean Q4 doesnt seem to have many more people playing than Q3 does at peak times. What gives? I'm wondering if really alot of people don't like it all that much.

As for me, I like it, not love but like it. I wish I loved it but oh well. I'm hoping with the OSP mod that will change. :rolleyes:

Burpy
11-07-05, 05:38 PM
Hopefully OSP will be released once the Quake4 SDK is out. *fingers crossed*

I actually like Q4 & have been playing online some, mostly tourney. I like the tournement mode they included.
I think alot of people are not playing because the current state of the multiplayer is so buggy/laggy the casual player just doesnt want to bother with it.
Lets hope raven releases a patch soon that will fix up mp & make it what it should of been out of the box.

All of this could of been avoided if they had released a Q4test like they did with Quake3.

ynnek
11-08-05, 11:30 AM
is it really buggy/laggy? I've been having no problems, with servers iwt pings 100 and under...

I'm thinking the laggyness is from people hosting games from a crappy connection, or non dedicated...

evilghost
11-08-05, 11:44 AM
Quake4 MP feels like a bastardization of Quake 3 with Doom 3. You don't see the same Q4 elements you do in SP while in MP. Additionally, if I wanted Q3 physics and gameplay, not emulated via Q4, I would fire up Q3.

Q3 has better maps, better mods, and is significantly less demanding on both the client and server.

I don't see myself playing Q4 MP, but I never purchased Q4 expecting myself to get into the MP scene, so I'm not disappointed.

I'd however pick up and play Q4 MP when the mods start rolling out; I'd love to see Urban Terror ported to Q4.

nVidi0t
11-08-05, 01:54 PM
I have to disagree. I have been playing Q4 1v1 games for a couple of days now and it feels very much like 'Quake'. 1v1s have the same intensity and pace which I have been missing for a long time. You will be hard pressed to find a much better 1v1 game.

Sure, its different, but its a new engine and a new developer, bear that in mind. In its own right its a brilliant MP game. The CTF isnt bad either.

They really need to fix the browser though. It's utter garbage. I still really enjoy it though.