PDA

View Full Version : X3: Reunion Feedback Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Superfly
11-06-05, 03:06 PM
Well my order for X3 has shipped and I noticed the US release date is today according to the X3 website so I think its time we had a feedback thread.

Its been available in the Uk since the 28th October so someone here must have a copy by now...? I will in 2 days time.

SH64
11-06-05, 03:15 PM
Make sure to fill the thread with screenshots when you get it :cool:

Acid Rain
11-06-05, 03:17 PM
Waiting...drooling...waiting...drooling...

Oh, by the way, the devs know about the low performance with the HUD on, and are working on that for the mid-November patch. These guys patch quickly and effectively, so be happy.

myshkinbob
11-06-05, 05:33 PM
I had a quick game of this earlier. The graphics are amazing, and the combat isn't too bad either. It has a sort of inertia model to it, although it's not entirely accurate, for the sake of enjoyability i guess. It's still cool to flip around and shut off your engines to a slow drift backwards when someone is shooting you from behind.

Anyway, it was only a quick game because even with the current 1.2 patch, performance is dreadful, lot's of sound skipping and stuttering, and the game itself stutters often too, plus with the HUD enabled framerate is awful in places, disabling the hud gets you double or triple fps instantly. I think i'll come back to this game once the bugs are patched up, it got frustrating after 30 mins how it is at the moment.

Gorgeous game, and will be great to play when it's finished too. ;) :)

Here's a few screens i took.

http://www.vapulus.com/X31.jpg
http://www.vapulus.com/X32.jpg
http://www.vapulus.com/X33.jpg
http://www.vapulus.com/X34.jpg
http://www.vapulus.com/X35.jpg

oh the starforce protection is a pain in the arse, i hear there's a non-starforce version coming out too, from what i read on the egosoft forums. Wouldn't suprise me if the SF put into this release version is causing such abysmal performance and stuttering, i can't imagine they put up with these issues throughout development without noticing/fixing them.

ST:DS9
11-06-05, 07:13 PM
oh the starforce protection is a pain in the arse, i hear there's a non-starforce version coming out too, from what i read on the egosoft forums. Wouldn't suprise me if the SF put into this release version is causing such abysmal performance and stuttering, i can't imagine they put up with these issues throughout development without noticing/fixing them.

There is no non-starforce version coming out. Enlight has said that both the CD and the DVD version will have Starforce. Starforce protection was put onto the game by the publisher just before it went into Gold status, Egosofts betatesters did not have the starforce version to test with since it did not exist during thier testing. Also one of the developers said that teh performance issue has nothing to do with the Starforce protection. Looking at the Egosoft forums, nobody has reported any problems with the starforce protection. This is the newest version of Starforce, and it does not have nearly the problems that the older versions of starforce had.

It is funny to read the complaints from people about Starforce, they keep on spouting old crap about Starforce that has nothing to do with the new verion of Starforce. People dont even realize that the new Starforce is so different then the old starforce. This new Starforce is a major leap over the older ones, and at the same time it still has the same funtionality as the older ones with better stablility and compatibility (even Windows 64 compatitiblity).

Its also funny when people say that Starforce was put onto thier computer without thier permission. Well guess what, as soon as they put that CD/DVD into their computer and run it, they gave permission. Unless they want to start complaining on how the CD/DVD runs the installer without thier permission, they have no argument there, since the installer runs automattically also and is a piece of software.

PaiN
11-06-05, 08:12 PM
I'll definately not be buying X3 on release day. Sounds like there's major work to be done to get this game right....I'm also willing to hedge bets that there are "deeper" issues once you get past the performance.

arioch21
11-06-05, 08:14 PM
got this game on weds, I think it has great potential but couple bugs and low frame rate drops are holding it back, they released a patch already and have already announced another for mid Nov. hopefully things will be alot smoother.

As for the game itself I think its alot better then X2, the graphics are some of the best ive seen in space sim, the combat has been changed drasticlly from X2, its much faster pace and a whole lot of fun to dogfight with the space physics they added imo, and the weapons shoot alot faster then before, pretty much dont go into fighting thinking X2.

The Universe feels much more alive in this one with ships going about their own business of trading, taxi service, or just hauling away resources / productions, its so tempting to try and pirate a giant freighter all alone in space which you know prolly has some goods waiting to be sold if not to sell or keep the freighter yourself if you get the pilot to eject and leave it.

In my time already with the game of about 2 hrs of gameplay ive captured 2 pirate ships and sold them for credits, hopefully ill get my own station or freighters up and running to sell / trade goods, but till then I cant give ya my opinion on how different the economics of the game is yet in compared to X2.

I did notice that there are non playble traders doing their own business which directly compete against you now, there are also traders onboard stations selling things so stations are not the only ones selling goods now.

oh yea, the game does have a plot but not sure how many play the game for it ;) I did do the plot for the first 3 mission or so though, they were ok and got myself a free jumpdrive on my ship. But since then ive been exploring the game outside the story.

Edit: I havent had any issues with starforce yet that I know of.

11-06-05, 10:14 PM
I started as a humble merchant mode, so there is no storyline for me to engage in. As a humble trader you start off with a non-armed Disco, Argon Mercury, and 9500 Credits. Since I have started I now have

1- 950,000 credits
2- Un-armed Disco w/: Lots of upgrades
3- Argon Mercury with lots of upgrades, Jumpdrive, 12 Drone fighters, and Trade MK3 software.

My Mercury is set as a Universe Trader and is now level 14. I have been exploring the universe with my Un-armed M5.

My ranks so far are:

Trade rank: Wholesaler 94%
Fight Rank: Harmless 0%
Argon: Accepted Advisor 80%
Boron: Noble Peer 40%
All others are at what I started the game with since I have not done anything for any of those other races.

Can't decide what I am going to do next. I kind of want to buy an M4 and go pirate hunting. Or I might want to build a station, but I dont know which one to get and where to put it. Or I might buy another transport to some of my own trading until I can afford the Trade MK3 software again and get it set as a Sector trader then to a universe trader. So many descisions to make, so many paths I can take. This is an excellent Space Sim/RPG game, I highly reccomened it.

Acid Rain
11-06-05, 10:22 PM
they released a patch already and have already announced another for mid Nov. hopefully things will be alot smoother.They've said they are aware of the hud problem and are working on it. This is good, it'll probably be in the soon to be released patch. Since that alone releases a WHOLE lot of performance I have high hopes for this game. As far as an earlier poster's sound skipping, I've only heard of this from a user or two with onboard AC97 audio in use. SB Audigy users haven't reported this.

Apparently this game is crack already and will soon be dramatically better, probably.

arioch21
11-07-05, 12:58 AM
These guys patch quickly and effectively, so be happy.

yup that they do from my experience in X2, I have no doubt that current bugs will be squashed pretty quick, I also dont have any sound issues on my audigy2 PE. I sure hope the HuD patch is in the next one though :D I wish that they would give you a HuD option though like only show your speed, guns and target. instead of marking everything near you. Though if they fix it so that u dont notice frame drop with it all on, then maybe wouldnt matter :)

Scunner
11-07-05, 01:02 AM
There is no non-starforce version coming out. Enlight has said that both the CD and the DVD version will have Starforce. Starforce protection was put onto the game by the publisher just before it went into Gold status, Egosofts betatesters did not have the starforce version to test with since it did not exist during thier testing. Also one of the developers said that teh performance issue has nothing to do with the Starforce protection. Looking at the Egosoft forums, nobody has reported any problems with the starforce protection. This is the newest version of Starforce, and it does not have nearly the problems that the older versions of starforce had.

It is funny to read the complaints from people about Starforce, they keep on spouting old crap about Starforce that has nothing to do with the new verion of Starforce. People dont even realize that the new Starforce is so different then the old starforce. This new Starforce is a major leap over the older ones, and at the same time it still has the same funtionality as the older ones with better stablility and compatibility (even Windows 64 compatitiblity).

Its also funny when people say that Starforce was put onto thier computer without thier permission. Well guess what, as soon as they put that CD/DVD into their computer and run it, they gave permission. Unless they want to start complaining on how the CD/DVD runs the installer without thier permission, they have no argument there, since the installer runs automattically also and is a piece of software.

Highest number of Starforce references in a single post FTW!

Lfctony
11-07-05, 01:07 AM
I'm currently waiting a bit more for this. Need to read more reviews, as budget is very low at the moment. :(

Superfly
11-07-05, 03:16 AM
bring it on - sounds fookin awesome. cant wait guys.

I loved Elite/Freelancer etc.

space trading/fighting games are so cool.

Slybri
11-07-05, 02:24 PM
I can't find this game anywhere yet. It shipped last friday, was supposed to be in stores today. NO deal. Preordered at gamestop and they still don't have it. The website is still listing it as pre-release 11/7, which is today. Yet they still don;t have it.
Compusa and Bestbuy dont even list it on the websites.

Anybody know a U.S. store that has recieved this game?

PaiN
11-07-05, 02:29 PM
Today is the US "ship" day.....GS & EB will have the pre-orders and in-stores tomorow 11/8

Vapor Trail
11-07-05, 02:50 PM
I got my version last Thursday and I'm loving every bit of it. The visuals are absolutely spectacular! I'm not getting any stutters at all running at 1024 x1280 with 4XAA x 8xAF. There are a couple of sectors that are so crammed full of ships that it does becomes a bit of a slide show (Argon Prime etc).

There are a few bugs here and there but is rock solid stable for me so far.

The biggest improvements are the interface and the dogfighting. Almost everything in the menus is mouse clickable and the key mapping has been improved greatly. The dogfighting is really fun now. I got into a pretty big fight with some pirate ships and was really impressed with the action, especially with the 3d sound. You could actually hear the shots coming from all different directions. Even better was a furball with a Khaack cluster. The buzzing of their laser beams all around me was really cool!!!

I played X2 to death (mainly as a space trading game) and after 50 + stations and a fleet of over 1000 ships I got tired of trying to keep track of everything and keeping all the stations running. I'm definately not going that route this time. I'm just going to fly around shooting things and capturing ships etc.

So far I'm enjoying the hell out of X3 and have a few sleepless nights to show for my efforts!

:D :D

Slybri
11-07-05, 03:13 PM
Today is the US "ship" day.....GS & EB will have the pre-orders and in-stores tomorow 11/8

Kinda odd since the US ship date was 11/4.

"Enlight have today confirmed that X3: Reunion will be available for retail in US stores from 5 November 2005. Any pre-orders made with them will ship out on 4 November 2005."

Sigh... guess I'll go back to leveling my mage. Thanks PaiN.

Vapor Trail
11-07-05, 04:07 PM
Gogamer.com had X3 last week, the UK DVD version, but that's fine with me. It also came with a free T-shirt. :)

Acid Rain
11-07-05, 05:29 PM
There are a couple of sectors that are so crammed full of ships that it does becomes a bit of a slide show (Argon Prime etc). With or without the hud?

One of Ego's top priorities for the mid-November patch is performance. They seem to think they can fix it easily enough.:)

11-07-05, 05:55 PM
With or without the hud?

One of Ego's top priorities for the mid-November patch is performance. They seem to think they can fix it easily enough.:)
Ya, its amazing how different the performance is with on HUD on or off. SETA can also affect the performance. Basically the faster the SETA the lower FPS you'll get. When I am using SETA, I turn off the HUD.

Slybri
11-08-05, 12:08 PM
Okay, now Gamestop is saying 11/14 is the ship date!! What the hell?!
It's like every week they push it back another week! This makes me angry!

Where can I go to buy this game?!

Vapor Trail
11-08-05, 12:31 PM
Okay, now Gamestop is saying 11/14 is the ship date!! What the hell?!
It's like every week they push it back another week! This makes me angry!

Where can I go to buy this game?!

http://www.gogamer.com/cgi-bin/GoGamer.storefront/SESSIONID/Product/View/001X3D

TB303
11-08-05, 01:55 PM
Yeah,
I too, like the game but think the performance is horrible.
Can't wait to the patch.

Slybri
11-08-05, 02:38 PM
http://www.gogamer.com/cgi-bin/GoGamer.storefront/SESSIONID/Product/View/001X3D

Thanks!

But what I'd like to know is: Has anyone has seen the US version of the game in actual stores here in the US?. It shipped to stores here 5 days ago, but none of them seem to carry it. I know the series is not very popular here in the states, but you'd think maybe Bestbuy or Compusa would have gotten a couple copies by now.

PaiN
11-08-05, 03:14 PM
looks like the US ship date is alittle slippery...EB now has bumped up to 11/9
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/258814.asp