PDA

View Full Version : Gaming mouse surface...

Pages : [1] 2

BrianG
11-06-05, 05:44 PM
I have not used one since first going optical. What are some commonly available options? CompUSA, Best Buy or Fry's sell anything worth a damn?

ynnek
11-06-05, 05:55 PM
Are they really necessary, unless you have a really weird table top? Especially with mouses of today, tracking at 1200 dpi and crazy tracking speeds and stuff.. Never had a problem with my table, with the common fake wood veneer stuff on top.

Clay
11-06-05, 06:42 PM
I'm a sans-pad guy as well. Table/desk surface all the way. :)

Lazaredz
11-06-05, 06:46 PM
I liked the belkin mousepad they sell at Staples/Officemax. The one with the gell wristpad at the bottom. Got the matching keyboard pad too. Great wrist comfort for extended periods, easy to clean also.

keith33
11-06-05, 07:48 PM
Don't kid yourself, if you're buying something for that Copperhead of yours, just order an Icemat, last mouse pad you'll ever buy. Ask jakUp, it OWNS lol.

PaiN
11-06-05, 08:17 PM
I gave up on the expensive stuff.....and have nothing but praise for the X-Trac surfaces. I am stuck on the $10 HS Pro(I use one on each of my PCs)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817114171

BrianG
11-06-05, 09:17 PM
CompUSA has an LED trimmed surface from Thermaltake. Impressions?

Riptide
11-06-05, 09:37 PM
The Icemat is the best. I'd never go back.

extreme4377
11-06-05, 10:48 PM
I gave up on the expensive stuff.....and have nothing but praise for the X-Trac surfaces. I am stuck on the $10 HS Pro(I use one on each of my PCs)

Agreed. Great pad

jAkUp
11-06-05, 11:08 PM
I've used Func, Ratpadz, and Icemat Rev2.

The Icemat Rev2 is by far the smoothest, best mouse surface I have ever used. Also, since its glass, the surface stays good for a really long time. It works perfect with the Razer Copperhead.

For pro surfaces you need to buy them online.

www.frozencpu.com has a good selection :D

Slyder
11-07-05, 12:52 AM
I use the X-Raider Flexiglow Gamers Surface.

http://www.gadgetryblog.com/photos/uncategorized/glowpad.jpg

This baby does me and it matches my opticle mouse cause mine glows red not green. :D

Review included here (http://www.viperlair.com/reviews/misc/input/flexiglow/xraider/) ;)

crainger
11-07-05, 06:56 AM
I have a X-Raider too. They aren't bad for a cheap mousing surface. And look ace too. Only prob I have is that one of the LEDs flickers like crazy once in a blue moon.

Roch
11-07-05, 07:11 AM
Happy with the Func1030.

saturnotaku
11-07-05, 07:41 AM
Happy with the Func1030.

:werd:

Thing is, I want to get a Copperhead but I've heard it has tracking problems on this surface.

alucard_x
11-07-05, 09:18 AM

i've been using this pad for quite a while.. its nice for the first week but then it starts getting gunked up. then i rotate it 180 degrees and use that side until that slows down.. then i have to wash it in the sink and dry it out. its a bit of a PITA if you ask me. also the edges are starting to come unattached because of the water i believe. its nice but it doesn't stay as smooth as my everglide did.

gonna have to look into that icemat.

alucard_x
11-07-05, 10:47 AM
also.. how does the icemat v2 fair with optical mice. i'm using an MS intellimouse v4 (tiltwheel)

nemecb
11-07-05, 11:30 AM
CompUSA has an LED trimmed surface from Thermaltake. Impressions?
I have one of those and I like it just fine. The only problem is that I can't get one where the green LEDs work correctly. They start out just fine, but after a while (couple of days maybe) they start to flicker and die. I've sent it back twice and both times the replacement/repair they gave me did exactly the same thing. I've tried it on three different computers and they all have the same behavior, so I don't think the problem is on my end.

As far as the surface itself goes, it took me a while to get used to but that was because I was coming from basic cloth pads so it was a lot slicker. Also, it's not very deep front to back so I turned it sideways and now it's perfect for me. That may be a matter of personal choice/style though. I am having some trouble with my MX700 sticking to it when I'm trying to make very small precise motions (like trying to draw a perfectly straight line in a graphics program where I need to move exactly one pixel) although I blame that more on the mouse than the pad because that is a beastly heavy mouse. I haven't noticed any such problems when using lighter mice on it, although I haven't done that much either. Overall with that one exception the motion is nice and smooth (but again, I'm coming from a cloth mat so my experience is limited).

Would I buy one again? Probably. The blue lights match my case nicely, which is fortunate since the green ones don't work. The surface is nice, although it could be a little bigger front to back IMHO, and it seems to be priced fairly close to other similar pads. Basically if you want the LEDs it's good, otherwise you might be able to get a little nicer one elsewhere.

HTH

Riptide
11-07-05, 11:37 AM
also.. how does the icemat v2 fair with optical mice. i'm using an MS intellimouse v4 (tiltwheel)
Works fine with my MX510.

jAkUp
11-07-05, 11:37 AM

It works great with optical mice, the only mouse it has a problem with is the Logitech G5. The Razer Copperhead, and all optical mice work great. I had a MX518 before this, and it was perfect :)

The surface comes with some "mouse skates" its recommended to slap these on the bottom of your mouse for better feel.

Infinity666
11-07-05, 12:04 PM
Im using the best mousepad ever my friend made one way back in the day using paint no less its simply a really high dpi grid of line if he still has the file ill try getting it or maybe ill make one. We printed about 20 or so off at kinkos on a nice laser printer. He has a diamond back and on the homade pad taped to a hardback book the sensitivity is simply amazing. They dont last long but if you were to laminate them assuming there is no air bubbles it might just be the sweetest cheapest mousepad ever :afro:

Rakeesh
11-07-05, 12:07 PM
Isn't the icemat just glass? Wouldn't it be cheaper just to use a peice of glass? :D

Clay
11-07-05, 01:11 PM
Isn't the icemat just glass? Wouldn't it be cheaper just to use a peice of glass? :DOn that idea...I've looked for thicker (1/4" or more) glass in the past (for heatsink lapping purposes) and I found it basically impossible to find. All of the major hardware stores simply do not sell glass in that form. I went to a few smaller shops and they did but only in standard window thicknesses which were too thin.

wheeljack12
11-07-05, 05:22 PM
I am using the Razer Exactmat. A little pricy. On the other hand it's large and it has a long wrist rest. Two sides for speed and slow. I never get around to using the slow side. Just not a CAD drawing type.

keith33
11-07-05, 07:00 PM
I've used Func, Ratpadz, and Icemat Rev2.

The Icemat Rev2 is by far the smoothest, best mouse surface I have ever used. Also, since its glass, the surface stays good for a really long time. It works perfect with the Razer Copperhead.

For pro surfaces you need to buy them online.

www.frozencpu.com has a good selection :D

jakUp, do you use teflon tape at the bottom of your Copperhead? I heard that "hard" mouse pads wear out the bottom of the mouse and you need to protect it, is there any truth to that?

jAkUp
11-07-05, 07:32 PM
Isn't the icemat just glass? Wouldn't it be cheaper just to use a peice of glass? :D

Well, its not just glass, it has some texture to it also... also, if it was see through, I don't think it would work too good, or if it was reflective.