PDA

View Full Version : ASUS A8N32-SLI worth it??

Pages : [1] 2

Pennyboy
11-07-05, 04:05 AM
Does anyone think its worth while going to these new mobos with 2 PCIe x16 slots? I have read a review on Anandtech and it is a bit faster than my current A8N-SLI Deluxe but i'm not sure its worth the cash. Has anyone else considered getting one or currently have one??

Tabs
11-07-05, 04:24 AM
Definitely not if you've already got a regular 939 SLI board - I'd just wait for the next-gen stuff with the M2 socket etc...

Scott@Bjorn3D
11-07-05, 06:02 AM
If you want to run stuff with NVIDIA's 16xAA SLI then yes it is a better board since the cards move alot of data across the bus. I am getting one from Asus and want to see what else they improved. Right now I am running RAID 5 but it still only shows up as striping. Since this version of nForce4 is built to support RAID 5 it may run better than I am running now. I will also be getting an AMD X2 4800 to test with the board for overclocking, so far the A8N-SLI Deluxe does not overclock very well (at least the one I have which is one of the very first ones).

So basically I will be looking to see how much better a second generation nForce4 SLI chipset works.

OWA
11-07-05, 08:13 AM
Have you found them in stock anywhere? I'm looking at getting one but I just checked Newegg and they're still showing out of stock (they're supposed to get some in today).

Riptide
11-07-05, 08:17 AM
Definitely not if you've already got a regular 939 SLI board - I'd just wait for the next-gen stuff with the M2 socket etc...Agreed. A lot of money spent and time/effort to swap out your board for minimal reward.

As Scott says it's only useful for running 16x AA at high resolutions.

OWA
11-07-05, 11:02 AM
What is the site that people check to see how trustworthy sites are? Monarch Computers shows an ETA of 11/25, New Egg shows it as today but they're still showing out of stock but I found a place called ATACOM.com that might have them. It's hard to tell though since they don't really show anything. I also don't know anything about them. I guess if I can't find one today I'll just get another A8N-SLI Premium board.

Edit: Nevermind, found the site I was looking for: http://www.resellerratings.com/

Pennyboy
11-07-05, 02:10 PM
Have you found them in stock anywhere? I'm looking at getting one but I just checked Newegg and they're still showing out of stock (they're supposed to get some in today).

Yeah they are available in New Zealand and in stock now!! just for interest sake check out www.dragonpc.co.nz
I am so surprised we have them before the United States, and in particular new egg!

Well thanks guys you saved me from a big waste of money, I was about to purchase, I knew the M2 mobo's were coming but that mobo was in stock and I nearly caved!

jAkUp
11-07-05, 02:20 PM
I wonder if the 512 GTX's will show a bigger performance difference. With the much higher clocks possibly...

slick
11-07-05, 02:23 PM
16xAA!?! Wow, that's like into the twilight zone of image smoothness.

OWA
11-07-05, 02:46 PM
I am so surprised we have them before the United States, and in particular new egg!

Apparently, Newegg and a few other places had a few stocked a while back but everyone sold out really quickly and no one has apparently gotten any more yet.

Pennyboy
11-07-05, 03:03 PM
Oh ok that makes sense then. I wondered how we would have them before the US market. But yeah i'm definitely not going to bother now, like Scott mentioned really good for 16X SLIAA but I don't use that anyhow because even with that new board I don't think games will run fast enough for my liking.
Who else thinks the layout of the PCI Slots are bad on the A8N32-SLI?

Scott@Bjorn3D
11-07-05, 03:46 PM
I am not to impressed with what I have seen of the layout. I do not have the board yet but that is one thing I will be looking at. It is almost like thank god the only other card I have is a X-FI card besides my SLI Cards.

Pennyboy
11-07-05, 07:05 PM
Yeah I think they could have done better especially since the Deluxe has a heap of room. The only card I have is a sound card too and the only good place I can see to put it in is the slot above the second video card.

OWA
11-07-05, 07:09 PM
Why wouldn't you just put it in the last PCI slot?

Pennyboy
11-07-05, 09:01 PM
The last PCI Slot is Right next to the second PCI express slot so the card wouldn't get as good cooling. Between the two PCI express slots there is two PCI slots so for cooling purposes I figured it would be best to install the sound card in the PCI slot that is closest to the second video card which at least leaves a bit of a gap for the top video card.

bigjohns97
11-08-05, 05:16 PM
I am expecting alot from this new chipset, homefully someone will provide a better board than this one

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2589&p=10

I am a single card user and love the performance increase plus the 8-phase power I am hoping will help x2 OC'ing.

But i don't like how it doesn't have pci slots below, I don't like the dual marv nic controllers instead of 1 nvidia, 1 marv.

I'm not too thrilled about the heat-pipe running along the whole motherboard.

Riptide
11-08-05, 05:37 PM
I'm confused. How are you going to get much of a performance increase out of this board (minus the hoped for extra overclock)? Without 2 cards running in extreme resolutions/AA then there probably won't be much of a benefit to it speed-wise.

Pennyboy
11-08-05, 07:30 PM
Actually from Anandtech's review the bigger performance gains were made when running just one Video card. Read the review on Anandtech, its an interesting read.

Riptide
11-08-05, 08:13 PM
That doesn't make any sense. :confused:

There shouldn't be any performance difference w/just one card. In both configs (A8N / A8N32) a single graphics card gets the same 16 lanes.

Muppet
11-08-05, 10:53 PM
Just picked my one up today, will let you know how it goes when i install tonight :D

Pennyboy
11-09-05, 01:01 AM
That doesn't make any sense. :confused:

There shouldn't be any performance difference w/just one card. In both configs (A8N / A8N32) a single graphics card gets the same 16 lanes.

Yeah ASUS managed to squeeze some extra performance out of the mobo over its older SLI mobo's somehow. Still if you currently own an SLI board its probably not worth the upgrade. I'm going to wait for the M2 boards to arrive.

Pennyboy
11-09-05, 01:02 AM
Just picked my one up today, will let you know how it goes when i install tonight :D

Good stuff Muppet. Looking forward to hear how the upgrade went!

Muppet
11-09-05, 11:55 PM
Ok installed it last night, no problems enabling SLI, will post some video benchmarks soon including 8xAA AND 16xAA compared to normal A8N-SLI Deluxe

OWA
11-10-05, 10:40 AM
Look forward to it so I can see what I'm missing out on. :) I really wanted this board but couldn't find it in stock so I had to go with a different one.

SH64
11-10-05, 10:53 AM
With the story of the 4 way SLI .. i think its really worth it.