PDA

View Full Version : Pentium m processors

DJMONDY
11-07-05, 03:20 PM
My bro is interested in a new laptop and its got a 1.73 pentium m processor in it.
Ive had a look around and ive read that its an equivalent or equal to a pentium 4 3.0 processor. Is this right??

Its also got 1gb of ram and a ati x700 gpu. will this be ok for games like far cry, quake 4 etc??

Thanks to any replys in advance :thumbsup:

jAkUp
11-07-05, 03:22 PM
If you can get a Turion CPU, that would be the better way to go. It has slightly less battery life, but its faster.. especially for gaming.

Also, the x700 is equivalent to a 9600. So... for quake4 and Far Cry it may be too little.

slick
11-07-05, 03:31 PM
Yeah the pentium M's are very decent performers despite their modest clock speeds. They're really all that intel has going for them right now. Game performance I can't really talk about, since I've never tried to run a game on a PM notebook, but it kicks ass for general use, feels much faster than it's rating.

Like jAkUp said, anything with the AMD name on it is inherently better for gaming, but Turions aren't really widespread available in retail notebooks as of now, and do consume more power, AMD consuming more power than Intel... it's a phenomenon, I know. Never used one to be honest, but they sound like they'd make a great combo on the performance vs. portability side of things.

I'd say that it should be able to run both of those games, at very modest to low settings though (Like lowest res, and everything at LQ)

DJMONDY
11-07-05, 03:32 PM
Im not sure what type of processor the laptop has :confused:

Its a Advent 7079

http://computing.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/ps_15253716/113501.html

What do you think??

Blackcat
11-07-05, 03:49 PM
Yeah its a 1.73Ghz pentium m processor which is about the same as a 3.0 pentium 4, but does not run as hot. Not a bad little processor. The pentium m is better than the turion in gaming from everything I have read. The ATI x700 is OK for gaming but it will not run the newest games without turning things down a bit.

Toss3
11-07-05, 03:50 PM
Uknow, pentium M processors are to some extent even faster than Athlon 64's, in games that is! I know, I know, they don't have all of the features that new processors have, but they still make good processors; they don't require much power and can deliver all of the power you need for a laptop(except for the gpu, ram etc :)). But I have a laptop with a pentium M processors and I don't use it for gaming(intel extreme integrated gpu) and I sometimes find it slow. So if you want a small laptop, with a pentium M you can't go wrong, but if you want a fast computer(for desktop applications, not games though), then you should definatly consider other options!

DJMONDY
11-07-05, 04:04 PM
The two games i said were really what i would play and to see if the laptop could play them but my bro is more into racers like flatout, nfs and colin mcrae.

I guess the laptop would play them at 1280-800 which is the laptop's max res and look decent enough wouldnt they??

My bro isnt as much of a gamer as me and wouldnt be too bothered about max details, res and wotnot so im sure this system would be good enough but i just wanted to make sure first. cheers :thumbsup:

All in all the system would be used as a light games machine, flatout being the main game probably and OBD2 car diagnostics software which my bro is getting into.

Blackcat
11-07-05, 05:02 PM
These games should look good and run fine on this laptop. If he is not a serious gamer he will like it a lot. I have a gaming laptop with a pentium m 2.0 and a 6800go ultra and I love it!

karkrash81
11-07-05, 05:08 PM
I have a pentium m 1.86 with a 6800go and it performs within 80% of my desktop which is an athlon 64 3400 with a 6800gt.

mx125race
11-07-05, 09:51 PM
that laptop will be real nice IMO. Shouldn't change anything.

crainger
11-08-05, 01:15 AM
So word on the street is that P-M's can work in some 478 motherboards. So if I managed to get a hold of an M, it would make a pretty decent HTPC, no?

superklye
11-08-05, 01:43 AM
So word on the street is that P-M's can work in some 478 motherboards. So if I managed to get a hold of an M, it would make a pretty decent HTPC, no?
You have to get some crazy adapter for that, don't you? Or is that just for the LGA775 boards to use a Pentium-M?

jAkUp
11-08-05, 02:00 AM
I believe Asus makes an adapter for Socket 479 to socket 478. However, I think it only works on certain boards. You can find some Socket 479 desktop boards out there, the selection is rather limited however. And only DDR333/AGP is pretty lame.

DJMONDY
11-08-05, 03:18 AM
My bro's had a look at the results here and he seems pretty hyped about the laptop now.

In pcworld its 969 which i thought was good for what it had inside. Its up to him now to decide what he wants to do.

One of the things that made me think it was more than what it was is the gpu. its an ati x700 but its a 16x pci-e which i thought was one of the top ati cards

Ive always had nvidia desktop gpu's so im not sure what ati 9600's and x700's etc mean in laptop terms.

Thanks again everyone

Diamond_G
11-08-05, 04:08 AM
Well from what I have read the X700 is more like a 9800 and the X600 is more like the 9600, NVidia wise think of it like getting near a 6600 (pure performance not features).

I would say go for the M. My 7510 doesn't last very long on batteries. (A64 3700, X600, 1 Gig ram, 100 gig hd).

crainger
11-08-05, 04:09 AM
I believe Asus makes an adapter for Socket 479 to socket 478. However, I think it only works on certain boards. You can find some Socket 479 desktop boards out there, the selection is rather limited however. And only DDR333/AGP is pretty lame.

Thanks for the heads up... Sounds like a challenge!

DJMONDY
11-08-05, 05:23 AM
Well from what I have read the X700 is more like a 9800 and the X600 is more like the 9600, NVidia wise think of it like getting near a 6600 (pure performance not features).

I would say go for the M. My 7510 doesn't last very long on batteries. (A64 3700, X600, 1 Gig ram, 100 gig hd).

Thanks mate :thumbsup:

Its a good buy in my books. I would probably be tempted myself if i was in the market for a laptop and its a really nice looking machine too.

Joe Public
11-08-05, 06:10 AM
From some benchmarks I saw, the Pentium Ms are excellent for gaming, but mediocre for media encoding and 3D rendering. But if games are your main interest, it should be fine.