PDA

View Full Version : Do s939 Opterons support non-ECC/Reg. Memory?

johnnynismo
11-08-05, 12:55 PM
I see that there are socket 939 Opterons out there and Ive heard that they will run in regular 939 motherboards. My question is can you run an Opteron in a 939 mobo with Non-ECC/Registered memory? I know Opterons support ECC/Reg but do they absolutely require it? Also do regular NForce4 SLI-16x chipsets like on the new ASUS mobo support ECC/Reg memory?

Im sure we all want to know if we can just pop an Opteron 165 in our 939 mobo and run it without getting new memory or an entirely new mobo altogether. This would mean getting a FAST dual core with 1mb x2 of cache would be ~$300!! AND THAT WOULD BE A INCREDIBLE... :afro:

johnnynismo
11-08-05, 03:33 PM
Anybody have a wealth of Opteron technical knowledge?

superklye
11-08-05, 04:12 PM
Well, looking at the specs of the 939 platform and that the only 939 boards I know of do not support ECC memory, I would assume that if those 1xx opterons really are socket 939, they work with non-ECC memory.

And I can't imagine that the performance would be any different from the equivalent X2, nor the price being that much different. It seems that in this situation, it would just be for bragging rights to get an Opteron since they are traditionally a server chip and it has this awe-inspiring mystique around having a server-chip-based computer.

I would run an Itanium if they were affordable no questions asked. And just because you tell people it's a server chip and it seems so much more 1337.

keith33
11-08-05, 10:53 PM
The 939 Opterons DO NOT require ECC/Registered memory to run not to mention overclock to 3 ghz on stock cooling no probs, dual core Opteron is my next upgrade, much more solid chip than the Athlon with all of the same features.

|JuiceZ|
11-08-05, 11:14 PM
The 939 Opterons DO NOT require ECC/Registered memory to run not to mention overclock to 3 ghz on stock cooling no probs, dual core Opteron is my next upgrade, much more solid chip than the Athlon with all of the same features.

uOpt
11-09-05, 08:59 AM
You mix up registered/buffered memory and ECC/non-ECC memory.

Socket 940 CPUs require registered/buffered and can do ECC and non-ECC.

Socket 939 and 754 CPUs, including Opterons, require unregistered/unbuffered and can do ECC and non-ECC. Most mainboards do not support ECC, but you can still use ECC modules, there's just no error correcting happening until you get a board that does (e.g. most Asus boards).

uOpt
11-09-05, 09:01 AM
I would run an Itanium if they were affordable no questions asked. And just because you tell people it's a server chip and it seems so much more 1337.

First and second generation Itanium systems go really cheap on ebay. You can even pick up quad-CPU boxes for a couple hundred bucks.

superklye
11-09-05, 10:15 AM
What is so much more solid about it?

First and second generation Itanium systems go really cheap on ebay. You can even pick up quad-CPU boxes for a couple hundred bucks.
Really? Hmm....

Rakeesh
11-09-05, 11:00 AM

I thought opterons were like xeons in that they don't support most typical desktop applications, e.g. games?

spoop
11-09-05, 08:05 PM
i've heard that the opterons aren't just athlons with more cache, they are horrible for games, something about the branching. :confused:
Anyway, i wouldn't get one if you plan to game, but i wish a site would do a comparo of the opty's and athlons

superklye
11-09-05, 10:31 PM
i've heard that the opterons aren't just athlons with more cache, they are horrible for games, something about the branching. :confused:
Anyway, i wouldn't get one if you plan to game, but i wish a site would do a comparo of the opty's and athlons
Well, I believe it was Maximum PC who had dual dual-core opterons with SLIed 7800GTXs and 8GB ECC RAM which absolutely destroyed every other system out there (obviously).

So I'm sure they do fine in games, just maybe not as good as they could.

zoomy942
11-09-05, 10:47 PM
here si what i came across this morning...

http://forums.pimprig.com/showthread.php?t=57113&page=1&pp=20

and needless to say i wasn excited.. so i bought this about 30 minutes later..

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80101-R

and now my sig is updated

superklye
11-09-05, 10:56 PM
That's frickin' awesome. It's a single-core though, which kinda a little sucks, but not really since you basically got an FX-62 for like ~$200.

zoomy942
11-09-05, 11:21 PM
na, i'm not down with the dual core cause my pc is like a giant console. i dont do anything more than one at a time.:)

and i havent been into overclocking for a while, but i am gonna dive right back in.

now i just need a 7800gtx 256

Roliath
11-09-05, 11:48 PM
Are you going to overclock that 146 at all?

zoomy942
11-10-05, 07:28 AM
oh yeah..

uOpt
11-11-05, 07:40 AM
The amount of rubbish posted here is incredible.

These 939 Opterons behave precisely the same way as 939 Athlon 64s with 1 MB cache. Right now the Opterons usually overclock better but that may change anytime.

The bigger cache does not hurt any normal application, in particular not games. The bigger cache is also mostly useless for most common applications, you should generally seek out higher clockspeed than bigger cache. 200 MHz more clockspeed beat the 1 MB cache anytime.

And again, the 939 Opterons require unregistered RAM and they can, but don't have to, use ECC memory.

AMD says that the Opterons are better tested than Athlon 64s. That is about the only official difference. Oh and the Opterons are not officially supported on pretty much all desktop boards.

zoomy942
11-11-05, 11:37 AM
party pooper

superklye
11-11-05, 01:39 PM
party pooper
Dancin' Homer'll take care of him.

Dr.Nick
11-13-05, 10:57 PM
The 939 opterons use the same memory as the X2 and are no slower or faster at identical speeds.

jolle
11-14-05, 09:49 AM
I thought opterons were like xeons in that they don't support most typical desktop applications, e.g. games?
AFAIK they run any 32 or 64bit application just fine..
not sure on how they differ from their desktop counterparts but I think its mainly more cache atleast..
Not very popular with gamers since they cost alot extra and it doesnt usually show up as great increases in gaming.. atleast not to movitate the cost..
And until Opterons started showing up for S939 you needed expensive RAM and S940 mobos..

here are some numbers.. seems like noone includes A64 numbers in their benchmarks.. weird and a shame..
http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q2/opteron-x75/index.x?pg=14
Found one with A64 aswell..
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/amd_dual-core_opteron_875/page11.asp

superklye
11-14-05, 10:29 AM
The 939 opterons use the same memory as the X2 and are no slower or faster at identical speeds.
Did you read this thread at all?

zoomy942
11-14-05, 08:45 PM
http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=50460